Unbelievable .....?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oil industry has provided the Canadian government 500 billion$ in revenue over the last 20 years. So they toss them a carrot every once in a while.

I dont think ev's have done that, or probably ever will.

So its kinda like apples to oranges

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also the ev's don't pay for any road infrastructure like we do on fuel taxes. A few years back Washington state was considering a milage fee to replace fuel taxes so ev owners would also pay but I never heard what came of it.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oil industry has provided the Canadian government 500 billion$ in revenue over the last 20 years. So they toss them a carrot every once in a while.

I dont think ev's have done that, or probably ever will.

So its kinda like apples to oranges
Oil instury is a net contributor not a subsidized industry. Green industry though????

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should build lodging beside the charging stations, so the free loaders can stay there for free when there is not enough power available to charge their 85000 dollar cars. Greed and stupidity knows no bounds.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also the ev's don't pay for any road infrastructure like we do on fuel taxes. A few years back Washington state was considering a milage fee to replace fuel taxes so ev owners would also pay but I never heard what came of it.

That sounds fair, also I would like to pay insurance on miles driven too.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd pre-program the car to start charging in the middle of the night, you wouldn't need to set an alarm clock.

What will eventually happen is home car chargers will be connected to a "smart grid" that will allow the grid operator to slow or stop the charger during periods of peak demand to prevent blackouts. Another option would be to have EV's pay the same rate as wholesale electricity prices, so there would be a financial incentive to charge at off-peak times and as a result stabilize the load on the grid.

The power grid is in some ways going to become like the stock market, before no one had a means of storing electricity, but with the advent of grid-scale batteries and the pumped hydro storage project being built near Hinton there is a significant amount of money to be earned buying electricity cheaply during periods of low demand to sell at peak prices during periods of high demand. These projects will help stabilize both the grid and electricity prices.

Here are the pool prices on the Alberta power grid from the last 24hrs, as you can see there's money to be made buying at $29/mwh to sell at $147/mwh:

View attachment 238900
That’s a nice theory, but what happens when nobody buys at the peak price? Or when the peak price is higher than what it costs to fire up a diesel genset on your front lawn to power your house, or you can make money with that genset putting power back into the grid? The only thing these schemes will do, just like they did in Ontario, is drive the price of electricity up until it is virtually unaffordable by the average consumer. All these green energy initiatives have the same thing in common. They all fail without massive government incentive, subsidies or favorable rate adjustments. It’s true the world over.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Green subsidies are still transparent

Tax credits or deferments are not subsidies. A subsidy to an oil company would be where (like the green energy industry) the government would pay the oil company X number of cents per litre of fuel on top of what the consumer pays, or guarantees the oil company Xnumber of cents per litre for every litre produced, regardless of whether anyone buys it.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice theory, but what happens when nobody buys at the peak price?
Demand goes down and so do prices, basic economic theory.
Or when the peak price is higher than what it costs to fire up a diesel genset on your front lawn to power your house, or you can make money with that genset putting power back into the grid?
Go ahead and try, you could if you really wanted to, I promise you won't make/save any money doing such a thing.
The only thing these schemes will do, just like they did in Ontario, is drive the price of electricity up until it is virtually unaffordable by the average consumer. All these green energy initiatives have the same thing in common. They all fail without massive government incentive, subsidies or favorable rate adjustments. It’s true the world over.
Fossil fuels are being phased out like it or not, energy prices are going to increase, financially incentivizing those that can reduce their consumption or produce their own energy. The concensus is that carbon emissions need to be reduced and eventually stopped due to its effect on global warming and is the driver of this train of thought. The next mission is to drive oil prices as high as possible to prove that renewables can be cost effective, and it will succeed and will further increase EV adoption.

I'm not saying I agree with all these policies, but for me my time is better spent adapting to these changes instead of whining and b!tching about them.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would encourage some of the EV haters to try actually driving an EV. Once covid restrictions are over I will let anyone on snowandmud test drive my model 3.

Yes !!
Goes for any type of product ? Until you have personal experience or owned the product your opinion is just that . A opinion that’s doesn’t really mean much .

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would encourage some of the EV haters to try actually driving an EV. Once covid restrictions are over I will let anyone on snowandmud test drive my model 3.

Your model 3 will be scrap medal by the time the restrictions are over....I'm not saying the model 3 isn't a long laster either..

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know i have covered this before, but morons don't seem to be able to absorb facts. I will post them one more time from a different perspective... from a guy who has learned it the hard way.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just read up on battery replacement 13000 (usd I assume ) without any complications or extra parts . Yikes how much is that in cdn $

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just read up on battery replacement 13000 (usd I assume ) without any complications or extra parts . Yikes how much is that in cdn $
Its a chunk of change, but its it's probably the most expensive part of the car though.

A new engine or transmission on a new vehicle isn't t going to be cheap either.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a chunk of change, but its it's probably the most expensive part of the car though.

A new engine or transmission on a new vehicle isn't t going to be cheap either.
Model 3 powertrain (gearbox/motor) has been tested to 1 million miles maintenance free.
Battery warranty is 192,000km/8 years. Replacement cost will be worthwhile compared to value of the vehicle. (ie. battery replacement will not exceed the cost of the vehicle).

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Model 3 powertrain (gearbox/motor) has been tested to 1 million miles maintenance free.
Battery warranty is 192,000km/8 years. Replacement cost will be worthwhile compared to value of the vehicle. (ie. battery replacement will not exceed the cost of the vehicle).
Yeah i figured it would last a long time.

What i meant was ICE vehicles arent cheap to fix either. Any major vehicle repairs usually arent cheap no matter what you drive.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Will they have batteries for it in 8 years .
Some brands , the vehicle is junk once battery is finished .
No replacement for said unit . Buy a new car .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Demand goes down and so do prices, basic economic theory.

Go ahead and try, you could if you really wanted to, I promise you won't make/save any money doing such a thing.

Fossil fuels are being phased out like it or not, energy prices are going to increase, financially incentivizing those that can reduce their consumption or produce their own energy. The concensus is that carbon emissions need to be reduced and eventually stopped due to its effect on global warming and is the driver of this train of thought. The next mission is to drive oil prices as high as possible to prove that renewables can be cost effective, and it will succeed and will further increase EV adoption.

I'm not saying I agree with all these policies, but for me my time is better spent adapting to these changes instead of whining and b!tching about them.
Driving oil prices as high as possible doesn’t prove renewables are cost effective, it just makes things unaffordable for people. If you need to artificially increase the cost of established technology to justify and force the use of your overpriced and ineffective product, it just demonstrates that the new technology isn’t viable. The financial disaster that the green energy industry is the world over demonstrates that it benefits nobody but the owners of the heavily subsidized systems.
You obviously don’t have a problem with being forced to comply with accepting something that isn’t financially viable, and you don't mind paying for it. Other people do, and lots of people plain and simple can’t afford to pay higher costs for fuel and electricity to force acceptance of technology that isnt financially viable.

Top Bottom