UHMW Question.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres mynthoughts and sorta how theyve come about, for reference I'm a fairly new river boater, bought my Firefish on Aug 9 , 2010, and sold it in June 2012 and put 182 hrs on it.
Bought present boat June 2012 , presently have put 282 hrs on it since , lots of normal maintenance issues and some issues from abuse ( spelled fun)
Bought a 16 ft Harbercraft 1/2 inch bottom 10 degree boat last summer, put 44 hrs on it and sold it, didn't do what I wanted.
Yesterday bought a 15.5 ft Risley Bandit from a buddy , have ridden in the boat lots and have been impressed by how it works in wee little water. Really looking forward to playing around and going in places where a big boat, I dont care if it's got plastic , steel or gold on the bottom, should never be.
Been out a lot with all the different breeds and I really like things about all of them, i like running the skinnys in bigger rivers with my bigger boat and will keep doing it cause its fun and Love the comfort and speed, but theres a whole other type of super fun boating ithat I just don't think 20 ft $100,000 boats thatbweigh 2 tons should ever do. And the plastic thing , I guess I'm gonna find out but I don't think it protects a big heavy boat from any damage at all, just makes it slide a bit better and adds even more weight .
Some of the rivers and creeks that I've seen guys going up are absolutely gorgeous places to go, very few people and beautiful country, and ive been envious . And yeah you can get your big boat up those places, with a winch and a come along and rope and then you can fix the dents and plastic cause the river isn't much wider than your boat and the logs you were jumping we're tougher than you thought. I don't care how good a driver you are , in some places , $hits gonna happen. My wife likes going out for a cruise on a nice day in the bigger boat if it's nice out, but her favorite is going out in the smaller biats, slower speeds narrower rivers, even with that phucking annoying whiny 2 stroke and setting up camp up,some rivers that not many boats are accessing, spend the night with a group of friends , cook a wiener and have a drink.
For me it's been a progression, and yeah for the gigglers and finger pointers , been some learning curve, dents and costs, But I've enjoyed every bit of it and can't wait to do and learn and experience more new things.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't be going super extreme with my boat, they just cost to much, but I could see myself buying a little boat in the future for skinny water and have the best of both worlds also.....I will run the plastic until its worn and wont replace it, or maybe just a keel strip.....I have been in some big boats 25'er up the halfway in skinny water in the fall and I was amazed at where it would go with a skilled driver and no plastic....I agree that the only real benifit of the plastic is the slip factor when stuck or when driver error occurs....I am sure as these new coatings advance better lightweight options will be available

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lenny sounds like you pile your **** up a lot lol. PFI572 tell us some stories please.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys ever see any SJX jet boats around? I been looking at those and they look impressive for skinny water. But they don't got the flash that your guys boats got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our little boats don't have much for flash Neilsleder. Lol
Mine anyway.
ed10440c9bcefb80cf421b7283d1958a.jpg

e5db22c0413dc25add642b63ef4546ee.jpg

Boating tonight on the Wapiti.

72678a700049daa26b9324ac3ae5e52c.jpg

Last edited:

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a sweet little boat Lenny....perfect or smashing.. I need two years to build one.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Story time. Years ago my buddys dad took a big azz steel 22' w/460 up the Blindman from hiway 2 to past Rimbey to a culvert the boat didn't fit in. Cool

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Story time. Years ago my buddys dad took a big azz steel 22' w/460 up the Blindman from hiway 2 to past Rimbey to a culvert the boat didn't fit in. Cool

But did it uhmw under it ??

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say no, it was story time. That is all.

It was a good story. That would be quite the ride going up the blindman. There's some pretty skinny spots on there

Top Bottom