Two Snowmobilers rescued from Silent Pass Mar. 19, 2017

f150truck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On March 18, 2017, just after 10:00 pm (MST), the Golden-Field RCMP were notified that two snowmobilers had not returned from Silent Pass, south of Golden, as expected.

We immediately activated Golden and District Search and Rescue (GADSAR), and a rescue was organized for the following morning at first light, says Cst. Spencer Lainchbury with the Golden-Field RCMP.

GADSAR was able to locate the two males, uninjured, at around 9:00 am the following morning, and the pair were flown back to Golden by the GADSAR team.

Police would like to remind those who are venturing in to the back country to always go prepared with proper safety equipment and ensure that someone knows when to expect your return, as was the case in this incident.

Two Snowmobilers rescued from Silent Pass near Golden | TMTV BCTV KOOTENAYS NEWS

Anyone know the rest of the story?

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dropped into drainage couldn't get out by the sounds of it

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And that's why I have an inreach and supplies to survive for a night or two.
You just never know.
Pressing the SOS button on a spot/inreach is almost as bad as dialing 911 on a Sat phone.

SAT phone with a list of local helicopter companies is best.

Sat phone + MasterCard = insta skyhook

You can call the RCMP and go the SAR route but you have to fit the emergency criteria and more than likely you are spending the night.

*Take the local RCMP number and be able to give them your cordinates cause you can't triangulate **** in the backcountry.

My personal research anyways.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And that's why I have an inreach and supplies to survive for a night or two.
You just never know.

Test your inReach before each trip. I thought the same thing until we had a late one coming out and I was trying to get a hold of someone to check on my dog and the thing didn't work. I was told, make sure firmware is up to date (ie plug into your computer every trip) and test it every trip to be sure. I was just lucky I didn't have to spend the night and got back to my dog at a half decent time.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only if conditions are favourable enough to fly and it's not dark. Better be prepared to call SAR too.
Yep, was going to say if it's fogged in they are going to tell you to jump in a lake till it clears off

sent while drinking tea's

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I use an inReach because of the two-way communication. Yes, a SAT phone will allow that as well.
With the inReach paired with your phone (for typing purposes) you can contact one or more of your "contacts" for a possible rescue. Enter the contacts into your inReach with rescue in mind (in other words, good riders and knowledgeable of the areas that you ride). There is always the possibility that a contact can't be reached (for whatever the reason), so move along to the next contact. I would use SAR as a last resort or if there was a medical emergency but otherwise I am prepared to stay a night or two in the bush.

With regards to the testing aspect, there is now a message upon startup that you test your device. How do you do that? I send a prepared message prior to and when I've ended a ride and the only test I do is to check my computer when I get back home and see if the message arrived. Occasionally, I will check with my contacts to see if they are getting the messages.

Technology can screw up no matter what device you are using so a diligent person will prepare for the worse case scenario and use good judgment when in the back country far from resources. But then again, we all know chit can and will happen.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pressing the SOS button on a spot/inreach is almost as bad as dialing 911 on a Sat phone.

SAT phone with a list of local helicopter companies is best.

Sat phone + MasterCard = insta skyhook

You can call the RCMP and go the SAR route but you have to fit the emergency criteria and more than likely you are spending the night.

*Take the local RCMP number and be able to give them your cordinates cause you can't triangulate **** in the backcountry.

My personal research anyways.

When my 850 blew I phoned the local heli on my sat phone, I have a pic of my credit card on my cell phone as I don't carry my wallet. They dropped the sled off in my yard and it was home a couple hours before I was. They would't let me ride out with them so had to double out with a buddy.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's great advice and all to have all the devices, I have them too, but maybe rather than relying up yuppy 911 gizmos people need to be reminded to exercise a little more back country awareness and ethics as well. Great to see no one hurt, but too much is not known about some of these stories and it would be valuable to help educate others from someones potential mistakes.

Nothing replaces lessons learned.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Test your inReach before each trip. I thought the same thing until we had a late one coming out and I was trying to get a hold of someone to check on my dog and the thing didn't work. I was told, make sure firmware is up to date (ie plug into your computer every trip) and test it every trip to be sure. I was just lucky I didn't have to spend the night and got back to my dog at a half decent time.
Yup. Part of my pre trip planning. Always charge it and plug it in to the computer to update. As well as plotting the cabin coordinates so I can bring up the map on my phone if need be.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's great advice and all to have all the devices, I have them too, but maybe rather than relying up yuppy 911 gizmos people need to be reminded to exercise a little more back country awareness and ethics as well. Great to see no one hurt, but too much is not known about some of these stories and it would be valuable to help educate others from someones potential mistakes.

Couldn't agree more.

We all share stories at work from safety incidents around the world so everyone is aware.
Knowledge is power

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only if conditions are favourable enough to fly and it's not dark. Better be prepared to call SAR too.
Where I ride I have the pilots phone # who is under contract with Revelstoke SAR.

It was pretty socked in but he wasn't giving up, he flew in blind to get us.

$4800 well spent.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

First time I had to call 911 on my spot phone they asked what country I was in.

FML

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the guys, know some of the story. I didnt ask why they ended up where they did. Kinda felt bad as they invited me to join them but I had to wrench on my sled for a few hours and work is busy so didnt gt to it mid week.
2 young guys, great riders and strong men. Navigation fail !!!
They didnt call it in. Last guys out noted the truck still ther to groomer and when he finished his passes thruck was still there and he called it in. Thank fark he did as they had a sh1ty wet nites stay. Snw cave and fire but not the nite they expected

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the guys, know some of the story. I didnt ask why they ended up where they did. Kinda felt bad as they invited me to join them but I had to wrench on my sled for a few hours and work is busy so didnt gt to it mid week.
2 young guys, great riders and strong men. Navigation fail !!!
They didnt call it in. Last guys out noted the truck still ther to groomer and when he finished his passes thruck was still there and he called it in. Thank fark he did as they had a sh1ty wet nites stay. Snw cave and fire but not the nite they expected
Well that's good, but like people around here what happened if they where staying over nite at cabin, lots do it around here

Now I understand that silent doesn't have a club cabin, but could have been at mc murdo cabin..?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that's good, but like people around here what happened if they where staying over nite at cabin, lots do it around here

Now I understand that silent doesn't have a club cabin, but could have been at mc murdo cabin..?

Sounds like they couldn't get out of the drainage to get to mcurdo cabin, but yes it's right there.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they couldn't get out of the drainage to get to mcurdo cabin, but yes it's right there.
Oh I know the one they were in, but why wouldn't they take the normal way around to it??

And I was meaning about the Groomer phoning the truck in, when they could have been staying at cabin, and leaving truck over nite

Top Bottom