Turbo yes or no

butteboy21

Reaction score
I was considering getting a turbo for my 08 m1000, but not knowing alot about them was wondering if u guys could help me out. First of all i already have some work done to it, (speed werxs y pipe and can, vforce reeds, ported heads, pure logic fuel programmer) i would like to get a pump gas turbo, i run a octane boost now anyways so was thinking that wouldnt be a problem. So i guess i was wondering the pros and cons of a turbo, besides the power gain. Are they the nightmare everyone that doesnt run one talks about.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will have angry buddies cause your sled will go better then there's. Get someone who knows how to build turbo sleds to build it. Give Dean at mad motorsports a call he knows how to build them! He's a sight vendor here so just search him on here to get his number.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes. its like having the hottest chick in school. everyone will envy you and wished they could ride that to. lol

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After riding my buddies 2011 pro rmk with boondocker Turbo kit I want one for my etec. He warned me about it and bugs me all the time. I should just forget about my 3 year warranty and enjoy the boost.

beaker

Reaction score
after riding all day on my turbo dragon my face starts to get sore. u know , having a big grin on my face all day.this is the only downfall to having a turbo :)

butteboy21

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, one more question. I live in the badlands with really rough country which makes alot of slow riding to get to the hills and bowls, will this hurt the sled or turbo.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On Sunday, I saw a bunch of sleds riding at Bolder. Everyone looked like they were having fun.

At 1:30 when we had to leave to go back to Calgary, I saw 3 guys in the lot pulling wrenches, they had a turbo.

Last weekend I was riding at Boulder, lots of guys were having a good time. When I left to go home, there was a guy being towed out on his 800 because his crank had piled up. He had a Polaris.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the major issues with turbos?Is it tuning problems or mechanical?I thought of a turbo on my 09 m1000 but can never get a straight answer of to do it or not!Guys with turbos will never say they made a mistake by putting it on because turbos are a pile of money and it made their sled unreliable.Guys without turbos will tell you your always wrenching when you have one.I don't mind tweaking to get the bugs out but I don't want to waste half a day everytime tuning to get it to run right for a couple of pulls!I ran enough mod sleds over the years to be sick of dicking around for a good 10 minute ride but that was on carb sleds!Back then a good ride was not being pulled back to the truck but your hands were still covered in blood and gas from 'tuning'!!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the major issues with turbos?Is it tuning problems or mechanical?

Most often it is operator error or backyard mechanics not doing their research. Have a buddy that installed his own setup, works basically flawless but he did his research and spent a lot of time on the install. "Reliable" is how the operator defines it - some guys consider a season with no wrenching reliable and some guys consider one ride with no wrenching reliable. If you buy a junk kit expect junk results. Seen lots of guys with great set ups that haul ass because they spend the $$ on the right parts and fuel etc. With the new EFI sleds the kits are better and better, but they still need some loving and they will break stuff more than a stocker. You are pressurizing the motor twice its capacity....something is going to hiccup every now and then. If you want a bulletproof sled that requires 5 hrs of maintenance a season, dump in gas and oil and pull the cord, then leave your 1000 alone. Bottom line, do your research, lots of research and find out exactly what setups guys are running and compare them. Talk to Deano at Mad Motorsports (Deano670 on this site) and BDF#900 on this site. I think BDF has the 1200 Kit and is on boost and is honest about his setup and can give you an idea of what maintenance level you are looking at as well to keep it "reliable".

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sleds have come a long way, and so has the R&D on the turbos. If you have your air/fuel set up right you will probably be better off than stock, because you can reckognise and tune out the lean spots that your sled comes with stock. If you maintain your sled when it's off the hill, you shouldn't have to wrench on it on the hill any more than a stock sled. That being said, there is a ton of extra shop time that goes into a mod sled.

Your turbo will put more stress on your entire drive system for sure. Lucky you have a cat, because they hold up really well. Again, if you keep an eye out for wear and tear, you shouldn't be breaking stuff on the hill any more than the next guy.

Like others said, it's a ton of fun and makes me giggle like a 5 year old!!!! I'd never go back to stock either.

fries78

Reaction score
I run 08 m1000 with a boondocker pump gas kit with av gas running 8/9 lbs in the hills.Thing is crazy. have put over 1000 km on boosted now so far just reg mant. Was hard to install took around 18 hrs to do a prob job. Could not figure out the tunning at all had deano from mad motors sports go over the install and tune.He was great to deal with and he has my sled again for some more upgrades.:) Lots of little things always to do.If u ride a turbo all your buddies will want one. and u will have to buy all new clothes cause your arms r going to stretch out.Once u ride one u will never go back.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats why theres real builder and real kits out there. seen to many home jobs that dont work.
I believe there are way more real builder kits out there that are frustrating the owner because they dont have a clue on how to tune when there is a hickup and they are finiky efi or not have run the gauntlet with them and learned a lot. The average sled owner should shy away from them. On the hill 99% of sleds with the hood open is a turbo.

Treedragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine has been good right from the get go yes i may have to mess with some fuel numbers when riding different areas but all in all it's pull and hold the f#*k on because all hell is about to break loose. I don't think i will go back to NA sled unless it's spring time and there's no snow then i ride the wife's. Just be warned once you go turbo if it runs right you'll never go back to NA. The install is half the battle the other is the fuel control mine is boondocker and works awesome easy to use and never had an issue. The only issue is me holding on to the wheelie king that it has become!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom