turbo pricing ?!?!?!

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
just always wondered why the turbo costs for sleds are so high compared to other markets like lets say cars

i just dont get the 5-7grand idea

why is it so expensive for a simple 1 turbo system ?

if i compare it to a car turbo setup it has way less parts which just makes it not understandable

for example i purchased this entire kit back home in germany for my golf for 5grand BUT it was a twinturbo setup including everything

everything else i bought was maybe another 2-3 grand but was more caution than really needed like pistons and rods

realisticly a single turbo costs something like 600-1100 bucks depending on the model
so where are the other 4grand going a guy has to spend to get his sled turbod ????

just trying to get some behind the wall info on why the pricing is where it is right now for sled turbo setups

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The extra cost is likely R&D spread over a small market. Also, being a specialty product the profit is also high.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
so as in cars

dont know to many guys buying twinturbo setups for a golf
so should he ask 13grand for it ????

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
R&D, Engineering, Marketing costs.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Higher production costs, not as many built. That usually creates a higher price point on custom machined and manufactured parts. There can be a significant difference in manufacturing cost from 5 pcs to 10 pcs. And so on. Demand also creates inflated pricing.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Compare the demand of turbos for cars / trucks vs snowmobiles.... Big difference in the numbers means $$ difference.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
market value could be way higher if they would be actually affordable

to the engeniering part what is to it ? the turbos are not specially designed for sleds

so pretty much just the basic turbo requirements have to be enginered like exhasut flange to get turbo mounted
some intake tubing
maybe intercooler

other than that aint much more to it other than controlling and adjustabilitie

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
programing/control boxes

also the quality and specialization of parts.

if you look at the kit in the photo every thing is pretty standard. straight tube lengths/45/90 degree fittings. where a sled kit sometimes has some specialty bend intake and exhaust piping.

air boxes and oil tanks are usually 1 offs from each designer and custom built one by one.

and r and d is the biggest factor.

all mounting and relocation is custom built.

usually some form of instrumentation included. AFR/EGT/BOOST/FUEL along with custom mounting

clutch components

Last edited:

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i will break down my turbo kit for you this is buying all parts myself
turbo 66 areo 2800, dual injector throttle bodies 500, 2 injectors 100, air box 200, attitude box 500 or stand alone box 700, fuel pump 240, fuel regulator 225, turbo muffler 125, boost gauge 50, intercooler 200, intercooler pump 175, intercooler cooler 200, cost of powder coat and anodizing ????
charge tube fittings 100, fuel line fittings 100, spent 200 or so on hoses wiring and mounting brackets switches gauge mounts to get every thing to fit. To date spent 100 or so hrs getting it to fit RIGHT AND LOOK GOOD. Now get it to run clutching and set up. Last year i did my first and 5 trips to the mountains trying to get it set up what is that cost fun but a cost. O ya my motor set up for boost from Brent 2600 done RIGHT, and pipe by Neil 900. I am not in it for resale just my hobby. Most people do not realize how much R&D costs i never till i built my own kit.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
China........send any Snowmobile kit to China and see how fast it gets reverse engineered, and how cheap it really could be
I'll stick to what I run now...
RS

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is as much getting paid for what you know as what you provide.

In the spring I am converting my old 583 to FI, and then turbo. My estimate at this point including the microsquirt is about $1000 to convert to FI. It will be about another $1000 to add boost, and then whatever clutching will run.

I have most of the FI parts together, other then the microsquirt ecu. Throttle bodies, injectors, fpr, tps, were all had for $67 complete off ebay. Things I still need air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, a pair of map sensors (one for boost and one for baro correction) and an efi fuel pump. So another $250ish in sensors, another $100 for a fuel pump, $400 for the microsquirt. 36-1 trigger wheel and hall sensor (already one on the sled I will start with that) will finish it off. I will data log and tune myself. Once I get a base map, I will rent some dyno time, to finish it up.

Turbo I already have from a previous project, I will fab up a Y pipe to bring my twin pipes together at the turbo, I will fab my own oil sump, buy an electric oil pump, use some left over aluminum bends for charge piping, and pick up an intercooler from the JY or ebay. It is more time then money for that.

The caveat to this is; I have built and tuned many efi / turbo setups. I own all the fab equipment, and I can do it at my pace, finding deals along the way. The other thing is I don't care if it is pretty or not, my things are not about show they are about go. There is a lot of extra time and money that is spent for the spit and polish side of it.

If I was working on the rigs making big coin, but only had a few days a month to enjoy it, there is no way I would build my own, I would pay the $5-10K for the convenience of having it done so I could enjoy it.

However I have a low paying office job, but I am home every night, and every weekend, and I enjoy playing in the garage. So starting this spring I will pull this sled down to bare chassis, and start the transformation. If I am lucky it will be ready to go by the time the snow falls again.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back up the bus Fossy, you had a twin turbo VR? tell me more:eek:, I'm a VW/AUDI fanatic. I would love to do a twin turbo VR swap in my A4.

Top Bottom