tss instaboost

Canadian Snow

Reaction score
2nd year of riding and going with an instaboost, yikes lol. Boost is very addicting tho have fun! Talked to Deano about the 950 kit looking like if their testing goes well might see something on the market in January. Really nice horse power numbers and lots of torque but she's going to be pricy.

Hydro

Reaction score
Rode my buddies TSS turbo couple of weekends ago; he's got the side-mounted intercooled system. Too much fun!! Needless to say, my 14' XM is going to see Brandon in the coming weeks for an Instaboost kit. After reading this thread, I may have him upgrade the skid as well; but I kinda like standing it up doing wheelies all over the place and climbing the big hills/chutes is not my thing. I like the trees and the deep meadows. As this is my first turbo experience, and my 2nd year of riding, I'll be keepin the boost low (5-7psi). I want the jam when I need it, for the deep fluff. Otherwise, I'll likely be sittin at the bottom eating ham sammiches watchin the other guys in the crew do the big climbs, etc.

I'll keep y'all posted if/when I have issues.

Picking up my Instaboosted sled on Friday afternoon. Gettin' learnt by CB and KJ in Golden this weekend (Jan 17/18). They have a few spots open if anyone is interested. Check out

Hydro

Reaction score
Picked up my sled from TSS on Friday afternoon. Had a quick run through of the system and headed back to Golden. Was instructed by TSS to take it to a BRP dealer, and have them review and clear the codes. They left them recorded in the ECU to be sure something else major was not going on. That being said, they figured it would be okay to ride for the weekend. I asked if there was anything I needed to know or be aware of and what additional daily maintenance and checks I should be doing, and Brandon's response was, "Pull the cord and Pin it!"

Day 1 -- Hit the trail, threw a check engine light after about 5 minutes. Didn't surprise me, as this was pretty typical, even when it was stock with a MBRP can on it, as I hadn't gotten the sled to a dealer for any ECU reflash/update since I bought it. I also assumed that since TSS did not clear the codes, that the ECU was throwing the CEL to inform me that it needed some TLC. Shut down the sled, restarted it and the CEL would go away. That being said, it was definitely not the most intelligent thing to do, as I found out later in the day. Started having issues later in the afternoon, and at one point the sled wouldn't run at all; flooded a few times, partly because I was being a puss about getting on the throttle, and another problem which I found out at Motortech later. Got off the hill after the clinic and b-lined it to Motortech in Golden, where I initially purchased the sled. Convinced Jordan to read the codes after hours, and let me know if it was minor or major, which would determine if I would ride my own sled or rent one for day-2 of the clinic. Jordan, being a stud, read the codes for me and fixed me up; again after hours; great customer service!

Code 1 was for the Exhaust Temperature Sensors, which TSS alerted me before I got to their shop so I could pick up new sensors on the way through Golden. They were faulty and TSS R&R them for me. (legacy code, probably from day-1).

Code 2 was for the Air sensor in behind the gauge cluster, which Jordan informed me was typical and not to worry about as he sees it all the time.

The 3rd and most important code was for the R.A.V.E valves. The code indicated the valves were not returning to the initial/idle position. A quick look at the vacuum line revealed that the routing had kinked the line and was blocking flow. Jordan and his tech re-routed the line. He then cleared all the codes, flashed the ECU to the latest and greatest update, and voila, the sled ran like a champ! It was a completely different sled...

I didn't turn the boost up at all, left it at it's lowest setting. Still enough to pick me up on the front and wheelie no problem. It's going to take some time getting used to the power. One thing is for certain, you cannot mess with the throttle too much at the lower RPM's. It seems to flood out a bit and doesn't run that great until it clears out. I thought it was my machine, but I rode a couple of other TSS turbos the same day, and theirs acted the same; so I assume the problem is not the turbo/fueling ECU, but rather the nimrod operating it. A little throttle management by me will fix that problem.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your into it for this much, you might want to look into candoo solfware, for 500 $$ it will give you anything the dealer can do other than load a software upgrade... Works great for setting the rAve postion, tcm, and checking codes

Would of thought tss would also carry candoo software

the mid range stumble is also seen on the Boondocker, we were with, but not on a aero.. Is this on a Garrett turbo??

Hydro

Reaction score
If your into it for this much, you might want to look into candoo solfware, for 500 $$ it will give you anything the dealer can do other than load a software upgrade... Works great for setting the rAve postion, tcm, and checking codes

Would of thought tss would also carry candoo software

the mid range stumble is also seen on the Boondocker, we were with, but not on a aero.. Is this on a Garrett turbo??

Fred, you read my mind! I was looking at the Candoo and the BRP BUDS system. I'm getting pricing on the latter from BRP Diagnostics. It's really a "no-brainer" tool to have at my disposal. I've got one for my truck; might as well have one for my sled, since I've got way more money into my sled than I do my truck...

It's a KPA 2863 self-lubed turbo.

Backcountrypro

Reaction score
"One thing is for certain, you cannot mess with the throttle too much at the lower RPM's. It seems to flood out a bit and doesn't run that great until it clears out. I thought it was my machine, but I rode a couple of other TSS turbos the same day, and theirs acted the same; so I assume the problem is not the turbo/fueling ECU, but rather the nimrod operating it. A little throttle management by me will fix that problem."

Um......you forked over major bucks $$$$$ for a turbo kit, had it installed and "It seems to flood out a bit and doesn't run that great until it clears out."........yeah I would have a major problem with that! What is more startling is the fact that it seems several of these in your group had the same problem.

Run whatever you like but their is no reason one of these should run like this at all. Problems like this I could maybe see back in the day when we ran carbs but not now. Just for reference sake my T-Etec runs absolutely like a stocker until the boost comes on then......well you get the picture.

sledneckx69

Reaction score
"One thing is for certain, you cannot mess with the throttle too much at the lower RPM's. It seems to flood out a bit and doesn't run that great until it clears out. I thought it was my machine, but I rode a couple of other TSS turbos the same day, and theirs acted the same; so I assume the problem is not the turbo/fueling ECU, but rather the nimrod operating it. A little throttle management by me will fix that problem."

Um......you forked over major bucks $$$$$ for a turbo kit, had it installed and "It seems to flood out a bit and doesn't run that great until it clears out."........yeah I would have a major problem with that! What is more startling is the fact that it seems several of these in your group had the same problem.

Run whatever you like but their is no reason one of these should run like this at all. Problems like this I could maybe see back in the day when we ran carbs but not now. Just for reference sake my T-Etec runs absolutely like a stocker until the boost comes on then......well you get the picture.

I second that!!!! IMO the 1 problem is people have a hard time admitting when they spent a lot of money on something and have a hard time looking in the mirror admitting it was a mistake! Mine is getting built as we speak, almost went with TSS after hearing all the good things, but traveling to sicamous every time I had an issue didn't apeal to me. Now after hearing this, glad I didn't. Spend that kind of doe, shouldn't it work the way you want it, not you work the way it wants it? Than again, who knows, I guess I'll find out where I fit in when I get mine back!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I second that!!!! IMO the 1 problem is people have a hard time admitting when they spent a lot of money on something and have a hard time looking in the mirror admitting it was a mistake! Mine is getting built as we speak, almost went with TSS after hearing all the good things, but traveling to sicamous every time I had an issue didn't apeal to me. Now after hearing this, glad I didn't. Spend that kind of doe, shouldn't it work the way you want it, not you work the way it wants it? Than again, who knows, I guess I'll find out where I fit in when I get mine back!

What kit you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledneckx69

Reaction score
I went with aero, I like the simplicity of the kit and lack of extra parts not required, plus the fact that they are in pretty deep with ski doo. Also, it seems every other builder is on the hunt for a self contained system. Had one on my cat and it was trouble free at 8 pounds. Seemed like a no brainer.

Hydro

Reaction score

The unfortunate problem is that this is my first turbo, and I really don't know the difference, so I thought it was normal for a turbo to have a slight bobble in the lower RPM's. I think that I may be cutting the throttle at the worst time, just as the boost-it controller kicks in and sends a shot of fuel, causing the flooding scenario described. I won't have a chance to run it till Jan 31/Feb 1 weekend. I'll put it through the paces, and if I still have some bobble/flooding issues at low-RPM, it'll be going back to them to sort out. Let's also remember I've only got 1/2 a day riding over a 2 day weekend riding clinic... Learning my turbo and learning some new moves likely contributed to some of my issues.

...IMO the 1 problem is people have a hard time admitting when they spent a lot of money on something and have a hard time looking in the mirror admitting it was a mistake!
I'm looking in the mirror, and I am certain my purchase was not a mistake. TSS has been exceptional to deal with, and if there is a problem, I'm 100% confident they'll take care of it. We sled in their area regularly. Proximity to the builder is one of the main reasons why I bought from TSS. I'm in Revy or Sicamous just about every weekend. I could've easily gone either way, Aerocharger or TSS; and I chose TSS. We have Aerochargers in the crew, and they have their own fair share of issues as well. Futhermore, when appropriate, I choose to support local Canadian manufacturers and suppliers. Which I expect our American counterparts do as well in their own country; Made in America, right?

... plus the fact that they are in pretty deep with ski doo...
I'm not sure if you are aware, but Brandon Micku is on one of the Skidoo racing teams this year... I think that's pretty "deep".

My understanding was this forum was a place, among other things, to review new products, objectively quantify problems, research trouble shooting strategies, and provide constructive criticism so that companies like TSS can further improve their products. Maybe I'm wrong...

Last edited:

Hydro

Reaction score
One of the other guys that I ride with is watching me type this, and tells me the reason why I had issues is because I'm a "puss" with the throttle. He says when he took it for a rip he didn't have any problems with it. Ran like a champ. Again, I think the problem is the Indian, not the arrow. Maybe he'll chime in; he's on this forum. Electric Indian or something (maybe Steep and Deep?)...

Last edited:

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My advice would be if it doesn't run like a champ take it back and get them to make it right. A guy in my riding group got a 1200 turbo built by TSS and it hasn't run properly since day one. The sled was poorly put together and has cost this guy nothing but money trying to make it run right. The poor guy even took it to powderlites this fall to try to get it working better and $1600 later and he was getting highmarked by my aunts 600. These turbo kits are a lot of money and if the sleds not right get TSS to make it right. Don't be like the guy I ride with.

Hydro

Reaction score
I finally got to ride my sled for 2 whole days this past weekend in Golden. The machine ran great; from what I can tell anyway, having nothing else to compare it to (turbo-wise). I changed my throttle inputs (stopped being a puss), and didn't have a single problem. The machine is pretty ridiculous. It's like starting all over again. My upper body and forearms were very sore from holding on for dear life.

Furthermore, and a bit off topic, I did get a chance to ride a 174" T3 rental. That thing is also ridiculous. It's a freaking billy goat. Goes anywhere with ease!!! Makes me wish I had one...

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure somebody would trade you straight across. Lol

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My advice would be if it doesn't run like a champ take it back and get them to make it right. A guy in my riding group got a 1200 turbo built by TSS and it hasn't run properly since day one. The sled was poorly put together and has cost this guy nothing but money trying to make it run right. The poor guy even took it to powderlites this fall to try to get it working better and $1600 later and he was getting highmarked by my aunts 600. These turbo kits are a lot of money and if the sleds not right get TSS to make it right. Don't be like the guy I ride with.

whats his 1200 doing ?...these sleds rip once set up properly...but they are very touchy with a piggy back system.

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

whats his 1200 doing ?...these sleds rip once set up properly...but they are very touchy with a piggy back system.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It pops and sputters on top end and the afr goes lean. Looks like the stator is on the way out. The guy is so pissed off at it now he just bought a new xm and is going to moth ball the 1200 until he has the patience to deal with it again m

sledneckx69

Reaction score
YWell, got my T3 back with the aero set up, and a few custom tweaks and stock clutching, for the most part. Rode it for 3 days, and it ran like a stocker untill 5000 + RPM. Never missed a beat, no lag, no hesitation, and no bog no matter what I did with the throttle. Didn't have to change the way I ride at all. It's only 5psi to start off, not quite enough power for me as I came off a sled at 8 psi, so I'll be looking to kicked it up a notch in the future. Works very well at 5 though!

Last edited:
Top Bottom