tss instaboost

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am aware with all the issues to expect when buying a turbo. I just want that extra power in the deep stuff like DC350 has mentioned. I believe all the kits are going to have the same wear/problems on the engine. What makes a good turbo kit is programing and the ease to work on it and good customer service. That is why I chose TSS

I agree with you there ! If we're to turbo my xm it would be a boondocker or TSS. If I was on budget and a motor failure was a season ending expense a turbo xm would be off the table for sure.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you there ! If we're to turbo my xm it would be a boondocker or TSS. If I was on budget and a motor failure was a season ending expense a turbo xm would be off the table for sure.

Agreed... If you're scraping together your last twenty to put a turbo kit on it's likely not the mod for you. On a tight budget 4 years engine warranty is your best friend!

I guess that's what confuses me about guys that ask if you really need a skid... You're willing to spend $8-9k on a turbo but don't want to spend an extra 20% of that to efficiently put the power to the ground.
:confused: :dunno:

jvb

Reaction score
I honestly haven't heard of one rod going out the bottom end yet. Turbos are for people who want more.. Theres only so many places you can go on a N/A sled, especially when the snow is too deep :p

Just so you can say you have heard of one

Last edited:

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of three turbo etec that failed big end of the rod, two aerocharger and a boondocker. I wonder if the changing from full counter weight crank to pork chop style on the XM has something todo with the problems?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if a base gasket blows out and coolant gets in under compression stroke, you will knock a rod out that quick... Any bottom end would fail

jvb

Reaction score
Keep in mind that if a base gasket blows out and coolant gets in under compression stroke, you will knock a rod out that quick... Any bottom end would fail

I was going to say I don't think the turbo was actually the problem

mctrailboss

Reaction score
I would look at the pistons. common turbo mistake is not having the proper octane level. detonation leads to a piston deteriorating which squeeks the cylinder wall. The rod will fail when the piston doesn't slide freely. I don't think the crank or base gaskets are the problem. I did this and a friend did the same thing. Its easy to get a little ambitious with the boost pressure. It runs great for a while so you turn it up. Then it runs amazing for a short while!

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would look at the pistons. common turbo mistake is not having the proper octane level. detonation leads to a piston deteriorating which squeeks the cylinder wall. The rod will fail when the piston doesn't slide freely. I don't think the crank or base gaskets are the problem. I did this and a friend did the same thing. Its easy to get a little ambitious with the boost pressure. It runs great for a while so you turn it up. Then it runs amazing for a short while!

I'm not going to endanger my engine by trying to squeeze in pre-mixed fuel. Av gas all the way this season.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took out my bottom end very similar to picture above, looked to be a broken rod, and we felt it was from a base gasket, but it had happened the first hr after taking boost to 9 lbs, and happened very quickly after spool up, not indicating detonation

plans to add a slight adhesive to base gasket for this season

Canadian Snow

Reaction score
Mine took the flight because I tattooed a tree not because my engine let loose.

Berry's sled works very well, it's impeccably tuned and is very light. I'm probably giving up at least 100 lbs to him in sled and rider weight but I think we all are! On longer deeper climbs my sled will tend to hold its track speed better and can out climb big bores. There are some issues I'm still working out with my set up but I'm sure we're all doing that.

Should be a good season. Hopefully we'll see you on the hill!

What big bore and sled ? What turbo kit and how much boost you running to out climb the big bore ? I'm torn between a big bore or turbo for my Xm.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's correct... An extremely light 2008 P-tek with an 872 and its meticulously tuned. Definitely not your average run of the mill 872.

Yeh I went to Barry's place and picked up his old tunnel and you could say he is a tuner? Lol
Very nice man and had a great time shooting the breeze and checking things out.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no no call arctic edge... He's the one making these kits. Word on the streets is 2-210 pump gas and 215-225+ race gas.

Yes that is correct I worded that badly, but Deano does lots of arctic edge stuff. That would be a killer motor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hydro

Reaction score
Rode my buddies TSS turbo couple of weekends ago; he's got the side-mounted intercooled system. Too much fun!! Needless to say, my 14' XM is going to see Brandon in the coming weeks for an Instaboost kit. After reading this thread, I may have him upgrade the skid as well; but I kinda like standing it up doing wheelies all over the place and climbing the big hills/chutes is not my thing. I like the trees and the deep meadows. As this is my first turbo experience, and my 2nd year of riding, I'll be keepin the boost low (5-7psi). I want the jam when I need it, for the deep fluff. Otherwise, I'll likely be sittin at the bottom eating ham sammiches watchin the other guys in the crew do the big climbs, etc.

I'll keep y'all posted if/when I have issues.

Top Bottom