traveling to montana what to do?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Hmmmm, thanks for the replies. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated too. Now our kids are going nuts to see the Grand Canyon too, but it looks like quite the drive....Is it worth it to go all the way to Vegas?

I drive to Vegas all the time. I stop in Hellena, and Salt lake City to sleep and lots to see on the was . then Grand Canyon is a few hour drive from Vegas. Theres many canyons and things to see on the way..............Go to the Canyon ANY time it doesnt change. If you guys love sleds and excitment, yogi bear its worth the trip to Yellowstone and crazy snow in Jackson Hole where you can ski right beside the hill climbs

We too drive to Vegas all the time, nearly the same stops, but we stop in Provo Utah the first night, then a short drive into Vegas the next day. Idaho Falls on the way home. And then after Vegas we run over to Disneyland and LA to see the sights. With 3 kids it sure beats flying, and we love to stop along the way. We will stop and look at nearly anything, and with a wife and 3 girls, we will shop almost anywhere.

Doing it again in July, Grand Canyon this time, then Disneyland, and home up the coast...

burndown1

Reaction score
Great Falls has a Fudruckers and Target. What more do you want.

A little later in the year and I would send you towards Billings and Lewiston.

Just don't end up in Roundup....that place scared the heck out of me!

Ha Ha Ha, now that is funny. Roundup is a nice place. Why did it scare you.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Ha Ha Ha, now that is funny. Roundup is a nice place. Why did it scare you.

Roundup is nice like Browning is nice...Nice to have a full tank of gas and nobody has to pee :) I think Browning has a dog problem?? Last time through there must have been 20-30 dogs running up and down the streets, whats that all about??

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they are sledding dogs, you could have rounded them up and had a free dog sledding adventure. Just no guarantee where you would have ended up.

:frozenmsn:

This gives me an idea.....

randster

Reaction score
If you want to go too White Fish or Kallispell, I recomend taking the" Going to the sun road" for the sceanary. (thru Glacier national park). There is a charge, and no trailers allowed. It's narrow , winding and a bit hair raising west of the summit, but the wiew is fantastic. And if you go to Whitefish I recomend the Buffalo cafe, pretty much right down town. cheers.
Keep in mind that the road is closed in the winter, not sure when it opens.

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to go too White Fish or Kallispell, I recomend taking the" Going to the sun road" for the sceanary. (thru Glacier national park). There is a charge, and no trailers allowed. It's narrow , winding and a bit hair raising west of the summit, but the wiew is fantastic. And if you go to Whitefish I recomend the Buffalo cafe, pretty much right down town. cheers.
Keep in mind that the road is closed in the winter, not sure when it opens.

I 2nd the "going to the sun road". But is does not open until late June or July. We've taken our kids that way a few times and they love it. Very scenic drive!:)

SKIROULE

Reaction score
We usually head down to Great Falls two or three times a year for the shopping. they have 4 sled/ATV shops and most of the big name stores. I'ts almost like not leaving home because on the major holliday weekends the Canadians seem to out number the locals 2 to 1. Montana is great, low population smooth highways, friendly people. and with all of the fast food places we don't have here, if you come back without putting on a few pounds you didn't try them all. Take a day trip down to Helena. The drive is really cool. Winding through the river valley. And more great shopping, if you have a Costco card you can get some great deals there. Just remember: POP is called Soda, You can't get a side of gravy unless it's breakfast, And Canada customs agents are mostly a holes!:d

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is in East Helen go to the Leaning Tower of Pizza it is awesome. Or you can try Bullmans Wood Fire Pizze in Helena which is also really good. Staggering Ox in Helena also has awesome sandwiches. They make their dough in a can and then cut out the center and pack it full of ingredients. Kind of a hippy artsy joint but good food.

If you haven't had a pork chop sandwich from Pork Chop Johns you should try one as well. I think they will have them in most towns? They have two in Butte.

Butte has a old mining background. Huge open pit right in the middle of town you could go look at. Also Lady of the Rockies statue up on the mountain. Georgetown lake is west of Butte and the 7 Gables has one of the best burgers I have ever had.

Bozeman is east of Butte and has all the big stores. Could eat at Old Chicago, Johnny Carinos, or MacKenzie River. All good, but Johnny's is my favorite of the two.

Can you tell I am hungry right now? Bozeman is near Yellowstone and you could stop at Lewis and Clark Caverns on the way there.

Just go for the food if anything.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Roundup is nice like Browning is nice...Nice to have a full tank of gas and nobody has to pee"

That pretty much sums it up. When I pulled in most of the pumps were out of gas. I guess it freaked me out most when the mainstream radio stations starting disappearing and all I was left with were evengelical stations. Then pulling into such a small one horse, one restaurant one gas station (no gas!) town it weirded me out. Right out of some slasher movie....:d

Montana overall is one of my favourite states.

Billings is a nice town. I like the the fly fishing in the area.

Top Bottom