tragic news of death in kootenays

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Condolances. But whats the true story? Every reading seems to be different ones snowmobileing ones skiing ones snowmobile skiing?

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad to lose anyone 2009 was a very bad year i hope no one else is lost this year Everyone watch the weather report and the changing conditions stay safe and come back home after a day of riding

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Condolances. But whats the true story? Every reading seems to be different ones snowmobileing ones skiing ones snowmobile skiing?

I am guessing they were skiers who access the back country with snowmobiles. We are seeing more and more of them in all riding areas. It is good because they form a bridge between us and the ski community.

My condolences to the families involved.

Guys, this could be another bad year for avalanche deaths. There is a crust layer a couple of feet down and it is making the whole snowpack unstable. We have seen that layer on both rides this winter and have heard about it as far north as Golden.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Sorry to thie friends & family of this season's first avy casualty.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad news, the weather has been very warm in the Kootenays this past week and at higher elevations up to 7000’ a lot of areas have not slid yet and the slopes are loaded with heavy snow. Today the fog was lifting out of the valleys and cool temps are now coming in, lot’s of caution out there.

Crazed

Reaction score
CALGARY - On the hills he was fearless, with his patients he was passionate, and when speaking to people in power, he was persuasive.

Friends and colleagues are grieving the loss of Canmore resident Andy Troszok, the season's first avalanche fatality. He died Monday in a slide near Rossland, B.C.

Troszok, 39, was engaged to be married in three months and was a pharmacist who became a leader in the online mail-order pharmaceutical industry.

As a co-owner of Extended Care Pharmacy in Calgary, and a founder of the Canadian International Pharmacy Association, he was on the frontlines of providing cheaper prescription medicines to Americans. His spoke to parliamentary committees in Ottawa and to the U.S. Congress in Washington, D.C.

He was passionate about health care, the outdoors and skiing.

RCMP say the avalanche hit a Mount Mackie slope when a group of four skiers, who had accessed the remote location by snowmobile, were on the mountain. Three got out of the way, but Troszok was caught in the middle and died. All were experienced and had the appropriate avalanche equipment, said RCMP.

"He was very, very careful," said business partner Diaa Arsany. "He always had the right gear, right equipment. Always. He liked adventure and liked winter sports, but he always was very careful."

Arsany describes his friend as fearless, always seeking adventure.

"He wasn't scared of anything. He loved the outdoors, and he was a very, very good skier. He liked challenges in sports; like he would go to no man's place to enjoy nature and ski where everybody is scared of skiing."

Professionally, he was known for selling prescription drugs online, particularly to Americans who could not afford the same medicines at home.

"He would confront what I call the hypocrisy in the drug industry head on," said John Myers of the Canadian International Pharmacy Association.

Troszok leaves behind his parents, Anna Frank and Jan Troszok.

A memorial service will be held Saturday at 2 p.m. in the Creekside Hall in the Canmore Seniors Centre.

Top Dog

Reaction score
Another one lost MAY HE REST IN PEACE my condolances to family an friends

DV8ED Digger

Reaction score
The news of your loss saddens our whole community. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Top Bottom