Track repair

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is everyone using to seal up a cracked track?

This is a small one but I got plenty of large splits!

Attachments

• 861EADE6-260B-4226-AE56-8E452CA886DD.jpeg
    861EADE6-260B-4226-AE56-8E452CA886DD.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 158

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Short term for me. Got thru the winter on it but these tracks are junk as far as longevity

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard shoegoo works good. Guy stuck a whole paddle back on.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Heard shoegoo works good. Guy stuck a whole paddle back on.
Shoegoo is a cheap version of the urethane, seems to breakdown quickly. I bought the good stuff at All Glass, but you can get it from any windshield installation company. Holds up well and you cant really notice the repairs.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try windshield urethane from Napa it didn’t work. I will have to try again with better stuff maybe

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used gorilla glue impact to repair a split lug, it didn’t tear again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Urethane is your best bet. Permatex sells it in the same tubes at their RTV and I have had pretty good success with it. I'm sure windshield adhesive would work just as well or better. I eventually gave up trying to repair tracks as I came to the conclusion it is pointless. There is nothing organic that needs to be kept dry or steel belts to rust. You're not going to get a lasting structural repair with an adhesive under the conditions a track is exposed to. Just trim off whatever is flapping away and let her buck.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Urethane is your best bet. Permatex sells it in the same tubes at their RTV and I have had pretty good success with it. I'm sure windshield adhesive would work just as well or better. I eventually gave up trying to repair tracks as I came to the conclusion it is pointless. There is nothing organic that needs to be kept dry or steel belts to rust. You're not going to get a lasting structural repair with an adhesive under the conditions a track is exposed to. Just trim off whatever is flapping away and let her buck.

Actually keeping any moisture, snow, or ice out of the area will extended track life. Allowing ice to build up underneath a ripped are just allows it to delaminate further.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually keeping any moisture, snow, or ice out of the area will extended track life. Allowing ice to build up underneath a ripped are just allows it to delaminate further.
Hence the trimming so it doesn't continue to peel. In the several G4 tracks I have had to replace, I have yet to find any longevity difference between meticulously gluing/sealing them and doing practically nothing. YMMV.
Tracks come from the factory with exposed cords.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used gorilla glue impact to repair a split lug, it didn’t tear again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've used this as well after reading about it on S&M, probably from you. Most of the repairs have held so far other than one that was a straight up pipe dream as it was a badly split lug.

Top Bottom