Toyota 4Runner

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have a late model 4Runner that can tell me how the truck is on fuel, both highway and city? How it is for comfort and drivability? TIA.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have a 2016
hard to keep it below 13.2l per 100k on the highway
only has power once she is revved out
comfort is what i like about it as it still feels somewhat truck like solid vehicle
only thing I feel its missing is a heated steering wheel

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do some research about rusty frames. There are a couple of class action lawsuits.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We ran a 2011 Limited 4L for 5 years and absolutely loved it. Only reason we got rid of it was because we upsized our travel trailer and moved over to a Tundra. We owned the 4runner from 50,000km to 230,000km and had zero issues, bought winter rims & studded tires, did the brakes once and just kept the oil changed every 10K km. Our cost of ownership was cheap - bought at 50k so the first couple years of heavy depreciation was gone for $36,000 and sold after 5 years and 180K for $20K.

My wife averaged 11.5L per 100km, I was closer to 14L / 100km. When towing the 2 place sled trailer it was around 18L/100km and with the 21' travalaire it was about 22L/100km

My Tundra is worse on fuel than the 4Runner was but in general Toyota's are much more reliable than most other makes. -

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First thing I did when I bought both of my Tundra's was turn off the screen that tells me the fuel mileage. Ever toyota that I have bought I bought for how reliable they are.
We ran a 2011 Limited 4L for 5 years and absolutely loved it. Only reason we got rid of it was because we upsized our travel trailer and moved over to a Tundra. We owned the 4runner from 50,000km to 230,000km and had zero issues, bought winter rims & studded tires, did the brakes once and just kept the oil changed every 10K km. Our cost of ownership was cheap - bought at 50k so the first couple years of heavy depreciation was gone for $36,000 and sold after 5 years and 180K for $20K.

My wife averaged 11.5L per 100km, I was closer to 14L / 100km. When towing the 2 place sled trailer it was around 18L/100km and with the 21' travalaire it was about 22L/100km

My Tundra is worse on fuel than the 4Runner was but in general Toyota's are much more reliable than most other makes. -

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife has a 16 tacoma with the v6 and it's not the greatest on fuel and I believe the 4 runners come with the same engine. The 4 runner is a little heavier too out of the gate.Packing some weight and it struggles to stay in high gear. 110k on it and not one issue and probably the best vehicle I have ever bought so the fuel economy doesn't bother me a bit. My future hunting buggy once we upgrade again I will post another pic at the 500 k mark lol
1c559413e44a6d8bdfe02921653170ef.jpg

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys....I really like the 4runner, and for sure Toyota has superior reliability. I’m going to buy some kind of SUV this year to keep the daily driver miles off the superduty since replacing it is going to be grossly expensive. It will be cheaper to get an SUV and use it to extend the life of the truck for heavy duty tasks. Just like to get something with better mileage to keep operating costs down. Lots of options out there besides the 4Runner that get way better economy, but nowhere near as desirable....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys....I really like the 4runner, and for sure Toyota has superior reliability. I’m going to buy some kind of SUV this year to keep the daily driver miles off the superduty since replacing it is going to be grossly expensive. It will be cheaper to get an SUV and use it to extend the life of the truck for heavy duty tasks. Just like to get something with better mileage to keep operating costs down. Lots of options out there besides the 4Runner that get way better economy, but nowhere near as desirable....

Remember that fuel economy is only one part the overall operating costs and the biggest line item for a 4Runner.... on the upside the resale is strong, general maintenance is cheap ($55 synthetic oil changes at the dealer) and unlike others that start to get worrisome over 200k km you can run the 4Runner to a million km if the basic maintenance is looked after. I should probably work for Toyota I have so much faith in their products, so I'm obviously bias.

When I'm done with this Tundra I will likely upgrade to a Tundra TRD Pro

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the concesus is Toyota makes a very reliable truck or suv but the gas economy is bad. I personally would go with a north American vehicle.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the concesus is Toyota makes a very reliable truck or suv but the gas economy is bad. I personally would go with a north American vehicle.

They are fantastically reliable for sure and their resale value is among the best...I’m just trying to get a feel for running costs over a 250km lifecycle vs something like an explorer or highlander....both of those get way better mileage and are a little cheaper to buy....fuel costs are going nowhere but up so fuel will be the biggest cost. I’m hoping for 2022 the 4Runner will be redesigned as the rumour mill is rumbling.....

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are fantastically reliable for sure and their resale value is among the best...I’m just trying to get a feel for running costs over a 250km lifecycle vs something like an explorer or highlander....both of those get way better mileage and are a little cheaper to buy....fuel costs are going nowhere but up so fuel will be the biggest cost. I’m hoping for 2022 the 4Runner will be redesigned as the rumour mill is rumbling.....
My neighbor had a Tacoma and she had people asking her when she would sell so that definitely is a statement of there reliability. She then traded it in for a four Runner and within a month back to a Tacoma. Loves here Tacoma's. One source I use when buying a vehicle is car and driver.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tundra for 2021 was suppose to be all new but got postponed till 2022. I am not sure if Toyota does 2 model changes in the same year

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 13 tundra with the 5.7 and if a guy changes driving habits a bit they aren't bad on gas empty. I travel between Princeton and Maple Ridge every week for work going over the #3 and is 498km round trip. If i behave and keep it under 120 it burns between 56 and 70 liters or 13-14L per 100k. Towing my enclosed with 2 RZRS is where it gets bad i'm closer to 22L per 100k. This is my 1st Toyota after owning various North American and the quality is far superior and their dealers I have dealt for service with seem to care for the customer better.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Buy 1 of these, these look like they would be a good daily driver a bit stylish but still why not go into work like a Politician lol!

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/04/01/mercedes-benz-eqs-range-revealed/

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Why is it that all the electric vehicles look like science fiction robot cars..... Could they not just take the current platform and modify it to house the batteries and individual motors...

I'm not against electric but most look like chit.

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend at toyotas factory and says the new tundras will have new engines.
we have a 15 4runner and a 15 tacoma not the best on fuel but reliable and comfortable
I would never get rid of them for a North American vehicle

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard they have already shut down their US V8 plant and are retooling for building twin turbo 3.7 V6 for the TUndras starting some time in 2022.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope if its a twin turbo V6 that it last longer that the Ford twin turbo's
From what I've heard they have already shut down their US V8 plant and are retooling for building twin turbo 3.7 V6 for the TUndras starting some time in 2022.

Top Bottom