Toyota Tacoma?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any Toyota Tacoma owners on here? My 1/2 ton dodge is getting pretty tired so in the market for a used truck. I don’t own anything to big as far as towing so looking at a Tacoma. They seem to hold their value like crazy. My question is how do they tow? The only thing I have to tow is my jet boat. It’s roughly 3000 pounds max would be 3500, will the Tacoma handle that? The years I am looking at is 2009-2012 with around the 160000km.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe a lot of them had rusty frame issues you will want to look into that.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We tow the ski boat with our 4 runner and daughter has a tacoma
heavy loads need brakes on trailer but they will tow

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe a lot of them had rusty frame issues you will want to look into that.

Yah it’s know they had this issue. But think it’s older ones. But will be definitely crawling underneath to look close at the frame.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2018 Tundra in 2019 it was a loaner to all the Tacoma truck owners that were getting new frames. The Tacoma owner would get the Tundra for a week while their truck got a new frame. After 7-8 months of frame replacements the dealer sold me the Tundra at a slightly used price.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forget the Tacoma, suggest you have a look at Honda Ridgeline

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Add a supercharger to that 6cyl and it'll fly !!!

Wish my dafds frame got replaced on his 2008 :(

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’ll pull 3500lb no problem
Stopping it on a steep hill is a bit more difficult

My steel 2-spot sws trailer with 2 sleds would push it around a bit

Mileage goes south quick if your towing something with poor aerodynamics and want to go fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAC'S

Reaction score
i had a 2017 and now a 2021 tacoma. tow our moomba ski boat from time to time with no issues.

as others said the fuel mileage is not great when towing but they are a great truck. i have had 12 vehicles over the last 15 years and it has been the only one i didnt want to switchout after a year. they are not the fanciest but hold their value insanely well. I paid 40k new for my 2017 and when i traded it in last year with 75,000km they gave me 37k with it needing a new windshield and tires.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a 2017 and now a 2021 tacoma. tow our moomba ski boat from time to time with no issues.

as others said the fuel mileage is not great when towing but they are a great truck. i have had 12 vehicles over the last 15 years and it has been the only one i didnt want to switchout after a year. they are not the fanciest but hold their value insanely well. I paid 40k new for my 2017 and when i traded it in last year with 75,000km they gave me 37k with it needing a new windshield and tires.

That's awesome !!1 You made out like a bandit on the new one !

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Like others have said about trailer brakes. Make sure you have them. I’m on my 4th taco. They are great little trucks. I had an 05 that got the frame replaced. Drivers side engine mount pushed through the frame rail. That truck had 340,000 ish km when that happened and they did the whole thing for free. I sold that truck as soon as I got it back and bought a 17 wich I still have. Only problem I ever had was a fuel pump on the 05 at just around 300000.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be advised that you will get tired of having the same truck year after year with only general repairs needed . I have been a tech for 42 years and the tacoma is hands down the best small truck from my years of them coming into my shop. Make sure you buy one that has been serviced correctly.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well looks like I bought one. I am not sure if it’s a good deal or not lol. Higher km than I wanted but wow is it in great condition! No oil leaks dent or rust. Drove one with 40k less kms and was ready to fall apart lol, had a hard life. Missed a few good deals because I thought about them for about 10min lol. Figured I’d better jump on this. If I don’t like it it will be an easy flip

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well looks like I bought one. I am not sure if it’s a good deal or not lol. Higher km than I wanted but wow is it in great condition! No oil leaks dent or rust. Drove one with 40k less kms and was ready to fall apart lol, had a hard life. Missed a few good deals because I thought about them for about 10min lol. Figured I’d better jump on this. If I don’t like it it will be an easy flip
any pics?

Top Bottom