Top End

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I Pulled The Jugs Off My 06 Rev Last Night To Put New Pistons In It. I Have Just Over 4000 Miles On It, So I Was Just Doing Preventative Maint On It. The Cylinders Were Mint You Could Still See The Cross Hatch Marks From Factory. There Was Not One Scuff Or Nick Anywhere. I Was Very Surprised As I Ride The S**t Out Of It In The Mountains. I Am Wondering If I Should Use A Ball Hone Just To De Glaze The Cylinder Or What Any Advice.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What brand of oil are you running in your sled? Im not sure about the ball hone process what grit to use. Nickelsill coating and all. Summitric will probally have some better info on what to use. Good going must be a DOO

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends who you talk to it seems to be about 50-50 to hone or not to hone.
I have always honed with the finest grid three bar hone just to put a little cross hatch in it. I will caution you to be careful when using a bar hone.:beerchug:

Last edited:

snotwister

Reaction score
If your cylinders are nickasil which im sure they will be, then unless you are using a diamond hone you are only deglazing the cylinder and not really honing it.I have used a ball hone on nickasil lots of times with no problems but there is always the risk that it can catch in a port and chip off the nickasil.What works just as good is a scotchbrite pad to deglaze the cylinder with no risk of damage.If it was my own thats what i would use.Its a totally different procedeure than if the cylinders were cast.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, make sure the hones don't catch a port. Balls are better than the pad. I too just use a Scotchbrite pad in a random patter. Has always worked really well for me and you can get the pads in different grits too.

mach 2

Reaction score
chrome bore should not be honed. just make sure that there are no melted aluminum spots in there. or any catches (your old pistons will reveal this) install new pistons and after a very short break in continue riding as you have.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
What brand of oil are you running in your sled? Im not sure about the ball hone process what grit to use. Nickelsill coating and all. Summitric will probally have some better info on what to use. Good going must be a DOO

I too would like to know the brand of oil your using and if it was a consistant usage :)

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He's been using BRP mineral oil since new and i can vouch for the way he rides!! Upon further inspection he found a small pin head of a hole by one of the ports in the nikisil so the jug had to be sent away.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is true i think it might of happened during disassembly, regardless ken at mt magic has sent it to his guy to get re plated.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
he told me the jug will take 3 weeks to get back, my first trip to revy is in 4 weeks hope he is correct on the delivery.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you will have to talk to D-wayne to see if you can borrow the renegade....or maybe the dick!!

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Idea Steve I Will Take The Old Mans 92 Skandick Up To Boulder In 3-4 Feet Of Fluff Running .125 Paddles Lol....
I DON'T THINK SO BUT THE RENEGADE YES

Top Bottom