Top End Rebuild, 2002 Summit 800

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i just finished rebuilding the top end for the first time on my 02 summit 800 with 4500km on it. Running it for 20 mins now and it seems to have a high idle. Sits around 2800. I've read that cracked boots can be an issue, but pulled apart everything to check it over and noticed nothing. is this normal after just doing the top end??

I did a compression test before and after and it came up from 85-105. I was kinda expecting a bit more of a difference, what have other people noticed after doing atop end rebuild?

Also i changed the secondary from 1-3, and am just curious what others are running around the golden area.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your positive there is no leaks its possible the idle was set for the the low compression. naturally higher compression can yield a higher idle. turn the idle screw down a few turns. seen this before. just cover your bases and ensure it is not sucking air from another source

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've ran the sled for another hour or so today. And rechecked compression and it seems to have come up a bit since yesturday. Now I'm getting about 120.So my question does it take a bit of run time for everything to settle In place? Or should I have been getting high compression Right off the bat?I also got my idle to drop back down by adjusting the idle screw. Rechecked the boots by spraying them with water and haven't noticed any bubbling.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by spraying water on boots should not produce bubbles as air is being sucked in. best way is take off on check

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by spraying water on boots should not produce bubbles as air is being sucked in. best way is take off on check
yes or spray with brake cleen or something else flammable around all your seals, crank and carb boots. if idle changes you got a leak somewhere near where you sprayed.

Top Bottom