Tire question

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on 3 different truck tires. Would be e rated on dodge 3500 BFG all terrain ta
Nit hd grabber

Goodyear duratracs
Not sure what to put on the truck. Used for year round use towing toy hauler,hunting and general running around. Would put on about 20 thousand km a year. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have nitto all terrains on my half ton, 10 ply though, got about 20,000km on them probably 60% remainig, good tire just do not like the mileage, ex traction(for style of tire,its not a mud tire) fairley quite on the road as well
buddy has duratracs on his dodge dually, used for rodeoing hauling barrel and roping horses X4 nearly every weekend all summer, dailey driver and hauling hay, hes got around 50,000km or so probably 25% remaining, loves the tires and will go to them again, quiet good traction, rotated every 20 km.
bfg all terrains hear good stuff but got nil to say as i havent ran them since highschool, and 1 foot on brake 1 on gas may have affected the wear charcteristics of those tires.
in a 10 ply on a truck doing any hauling i would be surprised to see any better than the 60km before tires are shot imo. i have heard everyone claim big numbers with their tires but from my exp. i have never seen a tire in like use do better than 70km or so
110,000 on my f150 and tire set 3, regular rotations and no brake stands, well very few anyways. lol
good luck

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at all three of these and went with the BF Goodrich All Terrain...x 6 for the dually, what a world of difference from the stock junk that was on them...I can actually drive off the road and not get stuck, they've been great so far but only have 20,000 they still look great, will ask the grease monkey to take a measurement and see how much wear as the trucks due for an oil change and tire rotation....oh ya that's me....

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a set of BFG all terrains on my 3/4 reg cab truck. They didnt last very long. Awasome on/off road traction i found. Noise was OK for the tire. Being a 35x1250 tire they where to pricey to replace at the rate they where wearing at given it was mostly street drivin.
Goodyear, well i have had 2 catastropic failures on good year tires. one was on hwy 1 going to golden with just my sled on the back doing about 120km/hr. This was alot of fun for a blow out. The second was on a major logging road i would qualify more as a oversized alley. noise was a little less than the BFG but the wear was great, lasted much longer.
Nittos i have no experience with
My final tire i am running now is a Kumho Venture SAT 61. They tires are great!! less noise than the good years, they are winter snow flake rated, and i am gettig better gas milage. As well they are ranked No. 1 on tire rack as well one of the cheapest compared to the hankook all terrains. so far 20000K on em.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would suggest getting the round tires, freddy flintstone's usually ride rough. also have them put air int the bottom half of tire, works better. i hope this helps .
Thanks. At your age you drove the flinstones around. Lol

Bugs

Reaction score
I agree with Stompin Tom. Toyo M55's are great I run them on a 3/4 ton F250 7.3 powerstroke.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
m 4 on the toyo's, but i don't think they are what arff is looking for. they are probably the best tire for oilfield driving there is. beats the wanna be bf goodrich pos hands down. if ya want a California tire or are a poser get the bfg's. arff is looking more for a highway, city, some gravel.

yokohoma, hankook, toyo all terain.

or just hollow out a log. :D

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check out fierce mud terrain i have them and just took a trip back from red deer this weekend and they handled really well at 120 :p they are a 10 ply and rated e and the price is right. they are made by goodyear. and are actualyl surprisingly quiet. i like them thus far. check em out (only thing i dont like is they put a barbed wire design on them)

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my duratrac's. I'm on my second set and would not hesitate to buy a third set. I have around 46,000 km on mine and its about a 70/30 mix of hwy to gravel rotated every 10-20k the rear measure 11/32 and the fronts are at 12/32 new is 18/32. Lots of life left.

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have put over 100,000 kms on several sets of M55 tires. Not the greatest on ice and the 265s are a bit noisy
but nothing can beat them for long life on heavy gravel. And no flats!

Bigredd

Reaction score
I just went through the same thing 3500 Dodge, I had BFG's they were good the first winter the second winter they sucked didn't like the way they handled on snow and ice. This was my 4th set 1rst on a 1 ton. I went with the Nitto AT's 305 70 17 got them for a good price and they're 10 ply. I wanted Duratracs but they don't make a 10 ply 315 70 17. So far so good bout 5000km on they so far will have to wait on the winter.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have Duratracs on my truck Ray,,,they seem ok..but only have7 k on them,,good in the mud so far,,but i can see they are feathering on the back ,,and i have allready rotated them once,,, seemed to have good reviews on them when i was looking ,,

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Duratracs on my truck Ray,,,they seem ok..but only have7 k on them,,good in the mud so far,,but i can see they are feathering on the back ,,and i have allready rotated them once,,, seemed to have good reviews on them when i was looking ,,

the road and driving conditions may be different between calgary and edmonton. you guys are closer to the bannana belt. hehe

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we run Duratracs on our company trucks. lot of gravel running and they don't last. Might I suggest Goodyear Silent Armour. That's what I was running on My last truck and I had good luck with them.

600twin

Reaction score
two tires you mite try. I've run my goodyear duratrac from the gumbo in shreveport LA, to the rocks & skeg in Nordegg, i have about 40,000 on them great all round tire , the second tire that i have ran across Canada and the US is the Cooper Discovery ST, both very good one step down from a mt tire but still have the traction to getter done

Top Bottom