Tire Presure Moniters

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 08 superduty the previous owner had put the bigger tires and rims but not the moniter belts,I thought I could live with the warning on dash constently but I cant,is there anyway to get rid of the warning or do I have to spend the $500 to buy the belts,I dont need anything to tell me my tires are low so Id rather notany suggestions?Thanks in advance

Attachments

• alittle bit of eveything summer 2012 079.JPG
    alittle bit of eveything summer 2012 079.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 214

hedge

Reaction score
I've heard of guys putting the sensors in a sealed pvc container and pressurising it. How about a piece of black tape over the light? hehe

I have aftermarket tires that are wider with a lower pressure but I have the sensors installed on the rims, I just used the learning tool in the owners manual and followed the procedure to teach the truck where each tire is. Once I did this It will let me run the tires at 65psi which is the max for the tires.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some chips let you over ride the sensors. I know I can get one for my Jeep JK...I just opt to listen to 4 dings when I start it up.

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard of guys putting the sensors in a sealed pvc container and pressurising it. How about a piece of black tape over the light? hehe

I have aftermarket tires that are wider with a lower pressure but I have the sensors installed on the rims, I just used the learning tool in the owners manual and followed the procedure to teach the truck where each tire is. Once I did this It will let me run the tires at 65psi which is the max for the tires.

The sensors are set at whatever it says on your door post. It doesn't matter if you have wider tires with a lower, max PSI rating.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 08 superduty the previous owner had put the bigger tires and rims but not the moniter belts,I thought I could live with the warning on dash constently but I cant,is there anyway to get rid of the warning or do I have to spend the $500 to buy the belts,I dont need anything to tell me my tires are low so Id rather notany suggestions?Thanks in advance

Easy fix. Set the tire pressure to whatever you want for comfort, terrain etc and go to a tire shop that has a computer, or stealership and they can reprogram the TPMS to that pressure. When the pressure changes 10% off of the setting which from factory is listed on the door sticker, the warning light comes on. Fountain tire can do that and not expensive.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by ford that you can't bypass them you have to purchase sensors or put up with the light grrrrr I am in the same boat

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by ford that you can't bypass them you have to purchase sensors or put up with the light grrrrr I am in the same boat

Not so. Fountain Tire in Grande Prairie does them for me all the time on any unit so just another example of a stealership in action.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Gm can recalibrate the sensors so you can run lower psi.
I imagine ford could do the same.
I hear ya. That light drives me crazy as well. Once it gets to 20 below mine is on and in the dash display

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gm can recalibrate the sensors so you can run lower psi.
I imagine ford could do the same.
I hear ya. That light drives me crazy as well. Once it gets to 20 below mine is on and in the dash display

Fill your tires with nitrogen. It won't matter what the temperature is.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had mine recalibrated to run 60psi instead of factory 80psi on a gm. No more idiot light :)

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it is a liability for a business to totally bypass that system.

Just like ABS, seatbelts, airbags... etc it's a safety item and they could lose their license.

The TPMS became legislation in all vehicles smaller than 1 ton dually in 2007 or so. (U.S.)

To put the sensors in a spare tire or pressurized container, it will work for a while, but the batteries will die and the only way to charge them up is by centrifugal force. (spinning of tires.)

When I sold my 2010 f-350, I had aftermarket wheels with worn out tires on it without the TPMS, and the stockers as a spare which had the sensors. I got the new owner to sign off that he was aware that the wheels on the truck were like this, just in case something happened on the way home on the highway.

Not so. Fountain Tire in Grande Prairie does them for me all the time on any unit so just another example of a stealership in action.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are a great feature to have though had a leaky valve stem on mine today and it ley me know something was wrong

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. You can adjust tire psi in the monitor system as required for the tire installed on the unit if it is a 6 or 8 ply not holding the high psi . It is illegal for a tire shop to now disable or not place sensor back in the vehicle it becomes a massive liability factor There was an incident that started all this with kal tire just over a year ago. Some one had winter tires installed without senors. The vehicle was in an accident due to a low tire upon insurance inspecting the vehicle it was determined that low tire psi was he cause of the accident. And the vehicle w equipped with a tpms system from the factory. The isurance company declined the owners claim for the accident and also charged kal tire corporation 8 million. Since this no one will take the liability to tamper with a safety system , i am not saying you cant do it if you yourself choose to do so privatley that will be your choice ( i do know the systems can be annoying at times ). This system is coming on semi trucks now too. Have seen 3 with it. And lots of class a diesel pusher motorhomes now too. I know it is a bad society we live in that we have to install an idiot system to tell people you have a low tire . It should be part of a driving test to know how to check your tires and properly inflate them. Thanks to firestone recall in late 90's early 2000's that is why system was invented and implimented

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything over 11000 lb GVW in GM doesnt have them since 2011. 3500 hd doesn't have. Dealer ship didn't even know this.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is total pain in azz. Both my truck and wife's car have two sets rims and tires. I spent the $$ on sensors for all just cause couldn't stand light. I know that manufacturers are all going to switch to different kind of sensor. My brother inlaw is parts and service mgr at Honda and says they could have full time tech just dealing with them.

Top Bottom