Timbersled Mountain Horse Feed Back?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 600 Snow Hawk for a few years and loved it, but I sold it after my riding buddies didn't make the move to single ski. Single skis and sleds don't mix very well.

The sidehilling capabilities and the power of the Hawk was great...not sure if I would ever go to a Dirt Bike based single ski...not enough power in my opinion. If a major manufacturer ever makes a two stroke based single ski that outshines the deficiencies of the Snow Hawk...I would buy it in the blink of an eye.

Check out this guys thread on his total custom build single ski...cant wait to see how it turns out.

The TLKD Phoenix project - Back Country Rebels - Forums

agree here... Snow hawk has a ton more power... Been passed on some pretty whooped up trails by snow Hawks. Almost made the move in 2008 when they had 151 versions for Mtn riding. Just never followed through with it, since then snow hawk has died when they sold the company off to another owner.

Remember seeing a 800 version in Revy when I was up at caribou, that guy cut trail in 3" ft when the rest of us where trying to keep up.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you trail them in hard pack? Does the front end wash out?
What do you do when you want to stop? Put your foot out and it's in 3 ft powder, you be azz over tea kettle?

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you trail them in hard pack? Does the front end wash out?
What do you do when you want to stop? Put your foot out and it's in 3 ft powder, you be azz over tea kettle?

the new ski and the t motion skid work way better on the trsil. stoppings not hard. you dont fall over

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen a group in cooke city with them, i found lots of their tracks in the tight trees east? Of lulu ,across the river anyways. We ride in the trees alot too so i dont think it would matter if i was with sleds on one . if you got bored they make turbos for them now too....i think it would be a blast. I for some reason dont like jumping as much on a sled as i did on my bike so i would find that an advantage too.

#canadastrong

Cberg

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd season on a Mountain Horse and haven't regretted the move from a sled once. I was never a hillclimber, preferred tree riding and the bike opens up so much more terrain and it is never hard to find untracked snow. They definitely could use more power in the deep open areas but if you are tree riding the power of a 450 is just fine, you can bash thru the trees much faster than you would be able to on a sled, if a sled could even follow you, that is where the Mountain Horse shines. The 2 guys I ride with were riding a 500 XCW and a Husaberg 570 last year and I ride a KTM carbed 450 SXF, they were faster on the trail, but I would outpull them in the trees. The harder hitting MX bikes seem to work the best for a snowbike, but they all work well.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am on my 3rd season on a Mountain Horse and haven't regretted the move from a sled once. I was never a hillclimber, preferred tree riding and the bike opens up so much more terrain and it is never hard to find untracked snow. They definitely could use more power in the deep open areas but if you are tree riding the power of a 450 is just fine, you can bash thru the trees much faster than you would be able to on a sled, if a sled could even follow you, that is where the Mountain Horse shines. The 2 guys I ride with were riding a 500 XCW and a Husaberg 570 last year and I ride a KTM carbed 450 SXF, they were faster on the trail, but I would outpull them in the trees. The harder hitting MX bikes seem to work the best for a snowbike, but they all work well.

Ya I have a 2013 kawi 450 with some tasteful mods that would love to try. defiantly thinking on this. the only thing that stops me is the fact cant have both. id sell the sled for the track kit an kind of loose having both machines.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does everybody just use stock throttles on these bikes or do they convert to thumb throttles? Wouldn't snow and thick gloves be an issue with twist throttle? Just out of curiosity

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Hello I also have a couple questions. What would be the average range for fuel? I mostly ride Renshaw, with almost 30kms to the cabin and 30kms back how much fuel do you have to play around? Also what boots do most guys ride with? Thanks thinking of building a turbo'd ktm 450

Top Bottom