Throttle thumb

660 Grizzly

Reaction score
Hey, this is a dumb question, but i gotta ask, and as new into sledding, kinda hoping for some info...

Bought this 99 RMK 700, and im not sure if im just a puss, or if there is something i can do do prevent. After riding for maybe 20 minutes, my throttle hand thumb gets incredibly sore, to the point of having to stop. I can ride my quad 90k, for 10 hours, and this doesnt happen then. i am wondering if a bar rise might help, or a new seat, or just suck it up? If anybody has any suggestions, i would really like to hear as this is kinda souring my want to go out too much more...

Thank you for your imput, and sorry for the dumb question and wasting your time if you read this, but if any feedback, i would greatly appreciate!

S

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try rotating the throttle block down and using your fingers instead of your thumb. There should be a setscrew on the block. I had an old sled with a hard throttle pull and that helped me. And welcome to our club.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is extension you can buy or build that attaches under thumb control
gives a little more leverage alot easier on the thumb my dad built one for my mom on her 580zr she 66 yrs old thumb a little stiff I seen them at royal distribute you can use more of your hand than thumb

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done a few things from weaker springs in the top of the slides to installing a progressive throttle leaver...(ski-doo and polaris does make them) for my kid! if you are looking for a progressive throttle leaver for 40 or 44 (will have to check) mm carbs ...I have a spare one!

it also helps to rotate the throttle block.....I leave mine loose enough that I can rotate it by hand with out any tools.....I can move it for standing up or sitting down!

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, this is a dumb question, but i gotta ask, and as new into sledding, kinda hoping for some info...

Bought this 99 RMK 700, and im not sure if im just a puss, or if there is something i can do do prevent. After riding for maybe 20 minutes, my throttle hand thumb gets incredibly sore, to the point of having to stop. I can ride my quad 90k, for 10 hours, and this doesnt happen then. i am wondering if a bar rise might help, or a new seat, or just suck it up? If anybody has any suggestions, i would really like to hear as this is kinda souring my want to go out too much more...

Thank you for your imput, and sorry for the dumb question and wasting your time if you read this, but if any feedback, i would greatly appreciate!

S

It should get better in time as your thumb strengthens. You could try squeezing a small ball. There used to be an item you could buy that was called the "Thumb Thing" to help support the thumb muscle. It was an elastic type of support sort of like a tensor bandage but much better.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The D-slides on that model are an easy pull. I would look at your cable, the part that runs your oil injection runs right next to the exhaust and can get stiff. Also how it is routed cause the sharp bends cause this also.
The stock cable isnt long enough for more than a 2 inch riser, powermad makes a cheap extension, that would let you go to the 5 inches that I found comfy on that model for a 6 foot guy.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 98 rmk had the same POS throttle. no matter what I did after 2 hours of riding my mind said pinn it and my thumb said ouch. I tried everything but the best thing I did was upgrade to a edge chassis throttle block. WORKED AMAZING!

Top Bottom