This years dyno HP numbers.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think the insignificance gains of HP really matters? Whether it is presumed to be 10% or whatever.

I don't think along those lines but rather the significance of talent. Not saying I've got some/lots but rather the talent factor seems to play a bigger part than the HP factor. Everybody seems to get their panties in a knot over HP (or presumed HP). When you get the sled on the snow, one rider will definitely out perform another because of talent and not the 10% difference in HP.

Doesn’t Doo have a 16” wide track? That 1” of width sure makes the Doo faithful believe their floatation is superior lol

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think the insignificance gains of HP really matters? Whether it is presumed to be 10% or whatever.

I don't think along those lines but rather the significance of talent. Not saying I've got some/lots but rather the talent factor seems to play a bigger part than the HP factor. Everybody seems to get their panties in a knot over HP (or presumed HP). When you get the sled on the snow, one rider will definitely out perform another because of talent and not the 10% difference in HP.

Probably true but imagine how far back that lesser skilled rider would be if he had less HP ?? HP can make the lesser skilled appear equal or at least closer.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the simplicity of the system outweighs any of the current advances in technology.

Multi ratio and angle helix’s with varying cam angles and roller differences along with spring combos allow the user to fine tune arguably what is the smoothest action for almost any comparable modern drive system.

The theory of torque and rpm sensing driven and drive clutches is the same but these are not the Comets of yesteryears.

I don't disagree with your or Tethair about any of this. However, I believe we are getting beyond simplicity being a driving feature considering how much tech is put into the powerplant. I'm guessing cost is probably as big of a driving factor if not more.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm competitive. If I don't have the most power, I can't win the race to trench out the fastest...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with your or Tethair about any of this. However, I believe we are getting beyond simplicity being a driving feature considering how much tech is put into the powerplant. I'm guessing cost is probably as big of a driving factor if not more.

Yeah I would take TethAirs idea even further. Why have all that fuss and muss when the power plant can simply be a power generator driving a brush less motor. But you need to achieve variation in the "gearing" as the motor would theoretically be designed to achieve top speed. You either have no bottom end acceleration and high top speed or all bottom and and no top end. Electric motors can deliver maximum torque regardless of RPM but there would still be a compromise in that final "gear" just as electric cars are produced today.

https://youtu.be/36H9BVeMYMI

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would take TethAirs idea even further. Why have all that fuss and muss when the power plant can simply be a power generator driving a brush less motor. But you need to achieve variation in the "gearing" as the motor would theoretically be designed to achieve top speed. You either have no bottom end acceleration and high top speed or all bottom and and no top end. Electric motors can deliver maximum torque regardless of RPM but there would still be a compromise in that final "gear" just as electric cars are produced today.

https://youtu.be/36H9BVeMYMI

VFD control...

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought BRP secured the patent a few years ago for the computer controlled hydraulically driven CVT? The computer monitored the engine rpm and increased or decreased hydraulic pressure through the core of the crankshaft to a clutch that was opened or closed by the hydraulic pressure rather than fly weights/ramps.

Easy to clutch with a laptop computer if needed. Not overly complicated or heavy and possibly the existing 2 stroke or 4 stroke oil could double as the hydraulic fluid.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought BRP secured the patent a few years ago for the computer controlled hydraulically driven CVT? The computer monitored the engine rpm and increased or decreased hydraulic pressure through the core of the crankshaft to a clutch that was opened or closed by the hydraulic pressure rather than fly weights/ramps.

Easy to clutch with a laptop computer if needed. Not overly complicated or heavy and possibly the existing 2 stroke or 4 stroke oil could double as the hydraulic fluid.

They did have the hydrogen sled already... Im sure they're capable of the tech

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Funny story, I have a land and sea crank dyno.... my torque bar won’t handle the power of the new sleds though mines an older model. Definitely won’t handle my turbo.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not a 100jiga watt, cold fusion powered sled, with warp drive and a reverse polarity magnetic slip clutch?

Now that would be the ticket,,,, because the sleds of today totally suck :rolleyes:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not a 100jiga watt, cold fusion powered sled, with warp drive and a reverse polarity magnetic slip clutch?

Now that would be the ticket,,,, because the sleds of today totally suck :rolleyes:

But does it come with a sweet wrap?

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Really!!!!! I thought everyone knows you can't use warp drive or the wrap will peel off. Or is there a new warp glue???

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But does it come with a sweet wrap?

Im designing an electric multicolor, light infused, snow suit with built in speakers. That way people can recieve the attention that they need even when they are away from their brightly wrapped sleds.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im designing an electric multicolor, light infused, snow suit with built in speakers. That way people can recieve the attention that they need even when they are away from their brightly wrapped sleds.

I already have the Sessions Metallica M4 coat with the Skullcandy speakers built in....

Top Bottom