Testing for Radon Gas in Your House?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was doing so reading online and came across this:

Radon-Map-of-Alberta.jpg

Radon gas is created from the breakdown of naturally occurring radioactive materials (NORMS to us in the patch) that occur in the soil. As they break down they sometimes form Radon gas which is also Radioactive, the real danger comes when it is inhaled as it can then breakdown in the lungs producing radiation damaging the lungs eventually causing cancer. It is believed that Radon Gas is the second largest cause of Lung Cancer in Canada after smoking. Alberta due to the glacial deposits that most of the province sits on are prone to having higher levels of NORMs that can produce Radon gas.

So here comes the question, who has had their houses tested? Did you get an electronic detector, did someone come and test it for you, or are there better options? If anyone has tested have you got high readings?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We do radon testing. If you are getting it done you go with the longer test and don’t go the department store type of test route. Radon is found in various locations in Alberta. The Alberta building code has been amended to include provisions for radon evacuation in all new residential construction.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy had his house tested in Revelstoke. I'm not sure how it turned out, but sounds like a good way to kill the resale value of a house if it comes back high.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The minimum recommended test is the 3 month canister. They program the electromagnetic screen in the canister for the duration of the air sample required. Your better of knowing it’s easy to put a system in to help remove it as well.
People are unaware with all the hazardous items in houses. Any house older than 1986 has more issues than this. Asbestos was used in many items, to include drywall joint compound, ceiling texture, sheet linoleum flooring, tile floors and not just the 9x9......
If it’s undisturbed it’s fine, most renovation company’s and contractors will request testing before any work is done.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The minimum recommended test is the 3 month canister. They program the electromagnetic screen in the canister for the duration of the air sample required. Your better of knowing it’s easy to put a system in to help remove it as well.
People are unaware with all the hazardous items in houses. Any house older than 1986 has more issues than this. Asbestos was used in many items, to include drywall joint compound, ceiling texture, sheet linoleum flooring, tile floors and not just the 9x9......
If it’s undisturbed it’s fine, most renovation company’s and contractors will request testing before any work is done.

So does that canister itself test for it or is it sent to a lab after? What would be a reasonable price to expect to pay for a test like that?

Asbestos I'm not so worried about, our house is only 4 years old, the formaldehyde from the OSB resin concerns me more, everything from the floor trusses and support beams, to the wall and roof sheeting is OSB.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed. But I guess I'd rather know before finishing the basement, as it would be easier to put in a removal system before completing any finishing work.

Yea, probably better to deal with it if you are planning on being there a while.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tested ours in Stony Plain we are slightly above baseline. There is measures for homes that are high basically what you do is drill a hole in the basement pad hook a fan to it and vent it out side. Essentially this stops the radiation migration through the cement pad and into the home. This will never be a deal breaker that a couple of grand can't fix.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We do radon testing. If you are getting it done you go with the longer test and don’t go the department store type of test route. Radon is found in various locations in Alberta. The Alberta building code has been amended to include provisions for radon evacuation in all new residential construction.

So any advise or guidance on who to call for this testing?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So any advise or guidance on who to call for this testing?

What’s your location, We can do or direct you to the lab that we use. Typically a very easy test to do, I can walk you through it. You can go to Enviro-works lab on 18949-111 Ave, tell them Ron from Envirospec Solutions sent you. Get 2 canisters for 3 months. You can have them shipped if your not in Edmonton

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rough in system in the new homes is a joke. It's just a piece of weeping tile from the center of basement, to a capped off piece in mechanical room. Virtually all houses it's left like that forever and never tested. Most of the others, a plumber or someone else threw the pipe out a window and there isn't one at all.....

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the government ask me to test my house and they sent me canister thingy, it was a little bit smaller than a hockey puck

3 month later I mailed it back to them never did hear back from them :confused:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After some lengthy reading as well, just started testing our house. Used this kit from Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/AccuStarCanad...6076434&sr=8-3&keywords=radon+test+kit+canada

Went with the double kit so I can do the simple 91 day test and a much longer 6 month + test. Results should be quite interesting. A neighbour had the evacuation system installed recently. Haven't asked if they found an issue or if it was preventative.

Installing the fan system looks easy enough if needed.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont get the theory of that radon fans system, and wonder if it has any value.
If radon gas enters a home due to a negative pressure from exhaust fans, dryer, higher atmospheric pressure outside the home, water tap, etc. Than the radon fan system will evacuate radon at the suction location, and have it enter the house in a different area.
The only way I see that working properly, is if the foundation and evacuation system were designed to ventilate the gas around the entire surface of the foundation.
If a home has a Hvac system that draws in fresh air from outside during the summer and the winter, causing a positive pressure in the house, than is the Radon fan a necessity that will actually work????

This society these days seems to be hung up on chemicals that we cannot get away from. Dont want formaldehyde? Dont have a camp fire. Dont want benzene? Dont gas up.

Jeeze I read a article the other day, that BBQ’ing meat is a carcinogen now???!!!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont get the theory of that radon fans system, and wonder if it has any value.
If radon gas enters a home due to a negative pressure from exhaust fans, dryer, higher atmospheric pressure outside the home, water tap, etc. Than the radon fan system will evacuate radon at the suction location, and have it enter the house in a different area.
The only way I see that working properly, is if the foundation and evacuation system were designed to ventilate the gas around the entire surface of the foundation.
If a home has a Hvac system that draws in fresh air from outside during the summer and the winter, causing a positive pressure in the house, than is the Radon fan a necessity that will actually work????

This society these days seems to be hung up on chemicals that we cannot get away from. Dont want formaldehyde? Dont have a camp fire. Dont want benzene? Dont gas up.

Jeeze I read a article the other day, that BBQ’ing meat is a carcinogen now???!!!

Mean while fukashima has been spewing radio active water into the Pacific Ocean for 7 years and no one seems too concerned...lol

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Radon is #2 cause or lung cancer behind smoking.
Built a new house last year so I have the radon tube installed. Straightforward/simple system.
Tested a few months back from department store and came back below the amount. Was $55 I think?
I’m gonna do a longer test as mentioned. If higher all I gotta do is punch a hole through the wall and install the little air pump.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree new homes have the Hvac system as per code so every 20 mins they have a few home volumes of air circulated (4 for our house I think).

Top Bottom