Terrace/Kitimat Conditions?

hotwing

Reaction score
just heading up to terrace with some friends for a few days, wondering if anyone has been sledding around terrace/kitimat area this season?

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it’s been good when are you coming or have you already been? Snow is deep but vis not so good cause it hasn’t stopped snowing.

hotwing

Reaction score
we're here right now, rode thornhill yesterday, pretty fun and tried to break into robinson ridge today but the combo of frozen rain and snow on the tree made them block the trail.

gonna check sterling tomorrow, or go back to robinson with chainsaws... anyone know a good place to get one besides canadian tire?

where you been?

thanks!
-aaron

Screen shot 2011-12-19 at 5.56.15 PM.jpg

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been out in couple weeks as did a bit of damage last time which was Sleeping Beauty. I heard there were a lot of sleds up Sterling on Sunday and vis was bad so the lower areas might be rode out - although probably a foot or so of new snow since so maybe not. Anweiler was supposed to be good on Sunday and not many people. Did you try Claque in Kitimat its a good area and short trail - 7km or so into Alpine from Service Center. You unload in Service Center in Kitimat. Can Tire probably your cheapest bet for a saw...if you want better quality there's Western Equipment on Keith down by the Petro Pass or NIS by Tim Hortons and Walmart. How long you here for?

hotwing

Reaction score
ahhh, we've tried poking around that sleeping beauty spot a few years back... ended up getting to a hiking trail with huge holes, super lumpy, must have went the wrong way.

what's antweiler all about? never heard of it...
we were thinking of checking out claque but thought we might run into the same problem as we did at robinson ridge... bent over frozen trees blocking the trail. haha.

sterling might be good just cause its more of a trail maybe less alder to bust through.
basically trying to get as high into the trees as we can to find good snow.
maybe there or douglas, any thought on douglas?
we're here doing snowboard stuff the terrain we ride is probably a bit different than what people are into sledding.

i think we're heading out on friday.
thanks again for the info!

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Claque is a way shorter ride in than Robinson...but yeah there is some older regen alder stuff that might have come down. Would have some decent boarding terrain...my profile pic there is 7km from the Kitimat Hotel.

Sterling should be a sure thing to get up the trail. If Vis is bad might not be much for good boarding. Anweiler is on the way to Sterling go up the Big Cedar logging road - ~35km though. Takes a high mountain pass so you probably unload around 1000m elev in the sub alpine. There is logging up there so should be plowed but i wouldn't go back there without a radio. I could lend you a handheld if you want to try it. I haven't actually ridden (looks like lots of meadows) there but here's a vid BC GO PRO Snowmobile cam - YouTube

S. Douglas could be good but i would be careful around the chute going up...avy conditions are high and seen some big slides come down that one. S Douglas has some good boarding terrain though. Background of slide area the trail goes up but shows some of the terrain...

size 2.5 south douglas - Regional Discussion Forums you need a handheld for Anweiler call or txt me in the morning 250-631-9104...my office is just in behind Toyota.

Decisions decisions...doesn't look like the visibility is gonna get any better either. I think i would opt for Sterling or Claque...

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of kitimat guys ride claque...good chance someone was up today and cleared it...

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google Earth 55 08 56 / 128 42 14 that is about where anweiler trail head is. Riding area is range south of this point.

hotwing

Reaction score
hmmm. we were thinking sterling, but this claque sounds interesting!

coming from terrace we gotta drive through kitimat and then 7km to trail head? i'm looking at it on google earth and some maps.

we have one truck pulling trailer, snow in town you figure?

thanks again! super helpful!

-aaron

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anwieller doesn't have much snowboard terrain. Super fun sledding though! South D has some super good snowboard stuff same with sterling back by the second cabin need vis though! If the skies clear try and get up gunsight, sick snowboard terrain up there

hotwing

Reaction score
just wanted to say thanks for the info guys!

the locals we met along the way were by far the friendliest sledders i've met.

we had a great few days up there and are looking forward to coming back soon!

Top Bottom