Tank truck railings

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I picked myself up a tank truck, tank is a DOT spec to haul dangerous goods (oil) tank has a ladder welded to it but no railing or fall arrest system in place.Had a local shop willing to install a railing on top which would require welding on the bird bath after talking to a fellow who has multiple trucks he said to contact the manufacture as this was not going to fly (tank would not pass next inspection) of course they could install one maybe by July so I asked if they would sell me the drawings and have a local shop build they.they will not sell.in my eyes if they put a ladder on it there should be a railing to go with the ladder .anyways I'm looking to have a railing installed its going to have to go around the tank attach at the front of the tank on the frame and same at rear.Is there anyone here that does this kind of work?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I picked myself up a tank truck, tank is a DOT spec to haul dangerous goods (oil) tank has a ladder welded to it but no railing or fall arrest system in place.Had a local shop willing to install a railing on top which would require welding on the bird bath after talking to a fellow who has multiple trucks he said to contact the manufacture as this was not going to fly (tank would not pass next inspection) of course they could install one maybe by July so I asked if they would sell me the drawings and have a local shop build they.they will not sell.in my eyes if they put a ladder on it there should be a railing to go with the ladder .anyways I'm looking to have a railing installed its going to have to go around the tank attach at the front of the tank on the frame and same at rear.Is there anyone here that does this kind of work?

pm'd you

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many oil companies will not want you climbing up the ladder even with railings on top... Maybe you should bite the bullet and put in a set of titans because all the companies are going that direction.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is 10,000 oil tankers around Lloyd and I have never seen one with railings on it.
Duno if different areas have different rules?

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Many crude spec tanks have rails that fold up and a cable to harness to when on top. OH&S regs I believe anything over 3m off the ground one has to be harnessed up for fall protection. My last tanker had a catwalk on the drivers side. It was a costly extra but well worth it. When it comes to safety, prices become inflated, but after all you can recoup the cost it your rate ... right? Lol

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need railings like this

Attachments

• tank truck.jpg
    tank truck.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 89

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and s standards are 39-42" hand rail with center rail off platform. Post c-c vary depending on material and needs to be approved by a professional engineer. Also needs a 5 inch kick plate.

I do engineered drawing sets for mezzanines, work platforms , and personnel baskets all the time.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with unguarded edges Situations may arise where, on a large flat roof for example, work is performed at a significant distance away from an unguarded edge e.g. at a penthouse near the center of the roof. With the exception of when workers enter or leave the work area at an unguarded edge, workers have no contact with the edge. Upon accessing the roof, workers must proceed directly to their work area. Under such circumstances, a line defining a control zone is unnecessary, as are the remaining requirements for fall protection that would normally apply at the unguarded edge

Also read OHS Part 9 fall protection Section 155 , 159

Be aware if your on Shell sites there is a fall protection requirement for anything over 1.8 meters.

Dan

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many oil companies will not want you climbing up the ladder even with railings on top... Maybe you should bite the bullet and put in a set of titans because all the companies are going that direction.

Have looked into this aswell ,but still would require going up to open thief hatch and closing at the end of the job

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a engineer lined up for next week,thanks to sled neck for the contact.then I can have a set of drawings to take to my local shop to have made as any of the big manufactures are booked til mid late summer before they could even look at it

700WFO

Reaction score

Any and all modifications done to tank trucks will require sign off by a professional engineer in order to meet the requirements of TDG, as well it also will cancel any current VIPK certifications on the unit thereby requiring retesting. Any shop willing to do this kind of work needs to put their name on it with all approvals.

Top Bottom