SXS vs Quads

SCFD2131

Reaction score
I have ordered a ne commander xt and get it in Feb, but have always used quads. I do most of my riding in northern Alberta and was just curious of guys/girls thoughts on sxs riding compared to a quad? I know that there will be limitations due to its width but how often it will be an issue not sure, as I carry chainsaw everywhere anyway for those down trees. If anybody has input its much appreciated thanks.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have rode quads for years, but in 2003, we bought her a sxs, and I kept quadding. It used to be a bit of an inconvenience, because most of the trails were cut for a 4' wide quad, but there are so many sxs's out there nowadays, the trails are adapting for them. The creature comforts of a sxs can never be matched on a quad...stereo, roof, windshield, heater, etc. Staying dry = staying warm. The cargo space is awesome too.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents bought a SxS and rode it a few times, I would of rathered them bought 2 quads instead of a new SxS. I find quads are a lot more fun, you feel in control, a sxs is like driving a vehicle. If you start hitting bumps that seatbelt just jerks on your collarbone. The first time we took it for a rip without the parents got in a sink hole, had to drive my truck into the cutline it was at and yank it, than the belt broke shortly after. Overall not a great experience with them.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my self feel that i allways won't to put my hand-arm or foot-leg out on side hills and such..... i also think that the sxs 's are the ones making the big holes even bigger..... just in size and weight going through the holes... and having to cut down trees to get around. ect..........

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
love my sxs. kept the quad for 2 years after the purchase of the rhino and never used it once. Finally sold it this summer. As for the comment about the SxS creating more damge to mud holes. I would have to disagree. The SxS is wider therfor you are not traveling in the same ruts as the quad. The SxS is longer therfore your front tires can be pulling you out as the back ones just enter. I have been on rides with people with quads and watch them stuggle. I then just idle through with no problems. But then again maybe it is the driver??

clemmer

Reaction score
personally, i love my rhino, and only keep a quad for guests, or to use on them smaller trails while chasing cows or something. I really think the machine should match the user. If you like speed and independence, then a quad is probably for you,... however, the grunt power of a sxs, as well as the more stable ride, is uncomparable. And,... with the added weight and width, in conjunction with the right tires, a side by side seems to bite in a bit better,.... depending on the operator, i guess.

SCFD2131

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. How do you find them on steeper hills and side hills? whats the total width of a Rhino?

thebigm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.eagleriver.ca
I bought my Rhino a few years ago, and will never own another quad. They are way more comfortable for a day of riding. It is very surprising where they will go. Hill climbing is very impressive (with more power) it has more stability for side hills than I expected. The stock Rhino is way under powered but the "stock" Can Am has lots. I have 4300 hard kms on mine and still running strong.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had 3 quads for years.
Wife got a sxs last year and oves it.
I still drive my quad.
Or we ride together in the sxs.
The sxs goes into places and leaves less ruts I think.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove quads for years and went to a rzr in 09, sold my quad shortly after as I wasn't using it, if I had the $, I'd probably get a Renegade to play around with but I think I'd still use the sxs most of the time.

The only downside I've found with my rzr is the weight when going through skeg but it makes up for it in the mud, almost never get stuck in wholes.
And as far as the added width, I don't think you'll have much of an issue.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I originally bought my rhino for hunting but find it too noisy in the cab when not wearing a helmet.I prefer to hunt on my grizzly 700 as there is no roll bar or anything else to impeded my vision while hunting.I also carry my rifle right up front on Y gun grips.For every other aspect of riding I prefer the rhino.Way more comfortable and stable and carries everything including the kitchen sink.Width is an issue at times but every machine has some limitations.SxS out climb hands down due to long wheel base.I have both so best of both worlds but the SxS racks up more miles.They both have 3000K but I have had the grizz 2 yrs longer

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I originally bought my rhino for hunting but find it too noisy in the cab when not wearing a helmet.I prefer to hunt on my grizzly 700 as there is no roll bar or anything else to impeded my vision while hunting.I also carry my rifle right up front on Y gun grips.For every other aspect of riding I prefer the rhino.Way more comfortable and stable and carries everything including the kitchen sink.Width is an issue at times but every machine has some limitations.SxS out climb hands down due to long wheel base.I have both so best of both worlds but the SxS racks up more miles.They both have 3000K but I have had the grizz 2 yrs longer

if you order the back window/wall from royal disributors it will reduce the cab noise big time. I think it is like 79.00 dollars

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i bought my rhino 1.5 years ago, since i have sold my outlander as the only time i used it was in heavy swamp/mud riding which i rarely do, the deep snow and super soft terrain hurts the sxs, rest of the time i way prefer my rhino, couldnt imagine not owning a sxs, best part is i can go flat out over rough terrain and my passengers feel more or less safe.

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have rode quads for years, but in 2003, we bought her a sxs, and I kept quadding. It used to be a bit of an inconvenience, because most of the trails were cut for a 4' wide quad, but there are so many sxs's out there nowadays, the trails are adapting for them. The creature comforts of a sxs can never be matched on a quad...stereo, roof, windshield, heater, etc. Staying dry = staying warm. The cargo space is awesome too.

After seeing goodngrubby out there with the fam and the sxs, it looked like so much fun that we will be getting one for sure!!! Although I will definitly be keeping the quad as well. Time and place for both :)
:thumbsup2:

Top Bottom