Superclamps question? Legal/Illegal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpollon2

Reaction score
All Superclamps come with a deck hook in the box. If you need an extra for example (a centre mounted sled) they are sold seperately.

highmarkdude

Reaction score
Standard 10-Cargo Securement of the Canadian National Safety Code states

“...a person shall not use a tiedown...unless it is marked by the manufacturer with respect to its working load limit.”

since the Superclams are not marked with its " load limit " they are technically ILLEGAL

highmarkdude

Reaction score
Superclamps Are 100% Legal
In regards to the question, “Are Superclamps Legal or Illegal?” I wanted to know myself.
I picked up the phone and called Randall from Superclamp. According to the DOT regulations and requirements - SUPERCLAMPS are 100% Legal.

I wouldnt expect him to admit his Superclamps are Illegal ! wouldnt do good for his business would it ?

did you ask him why they are marked " off road use only " ?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are guys worried about if these tie down are rated or not, this ski tiedown system has been used for decades long before the superclamps were invented.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Standard 10-Cargo Securement of the Canadian National Safety Code states

“...a person shall not use a tiedown...unless it is marked by the manufacturer with respect to its working load limit.”

since the Superclams are not marked with its " load limit " they are technically ILLEGAL

I have seen the superclamp loops that the clamps hook into with load ratings on them.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are guys worried about if these tie down are rated or not, this ski tiedown system has been used for decades long before the superclamps were invented.

Because it could mean if it's legal or not. Doesn't matter how good of device, if transport canada doesn't recognize them at a suitable tie down device, they are useless and not worth a penny, because to be legal you'd have to use other tie downs.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because it could mean if it's legal or not. Doesn't matter how good of device, if transport canada doesn't recognize them at a suitable tie down device, they are useless and not worth a penny, because to be legal you'd have to use other tie downs.
True but neither is bolting a sleddeck to the box of the truck, the mounting point on the truck bed is not rated, so whats the difference?

hurt'in albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a guy should be fine if there is a working load limt on the device from the factory i dont know if they will say anything about what its attached to though because its does not have a rating:confused:

tpollon2

Reaction score

I wouldnt expect him to admit his Superclamps are Illegal ! wouldnt do good for his business would it ?

did you ask him why they are marked " off road use only " ?

Gentlemen, Transport Canada states:

Snowmobile Trailers (Standard 906)

906. Every snowmobile trailer shall be equipped with

(a) one or more tie-down cross bars located in such a manner as to be capable of clamping the skis of as many snowmobiles as the trailer is capable of carrying; and

(b) tie-down points to which each snowmobile can be secured by ropes or straps and that are of sufficient strength to withstand a force of 2 224.11 N (500 pounds) applied separately from any direction to each tie-down point.

(**Don't confuse ropes and straps with tie down cross bars and clamps)

SOR/2003-359, s. 4.

BC Motor Vehicle Act
Motor Vehicle Act Regulations
Cargo securement

35.04 Vehicles must be equipped and cargo must be contained, immobilized or secured in accordance with the applicable requirements of this Division and the Standard and so that it cannot

(a) leak, spill, blow off, fall from, fall through or otherwise be dislodged from the vehicle, or

(b) shift on or within the vehicle in a manner that affects the stability or maneuverability of the vehicle.

[en. B.C. Reg. 113/2005, Sch. 1.]

Also see the following link taken from the Traffic Safety in Alberta Website:

Saferoads.com - Vehicle Safety

highmarkdude

Reaction score
Gentlemen, Transport Canada states:

Snowmobile Trailers (Standard 906)

906. Every snowmobile trailer shall be equipped with

(a) one or more tie-down cross bars located in such a manner as to be capable of clamping the skis of as many snowmobiles as the trailer is capable of carrying; and

(b) tie-down points to which each snowmobile can be secured by ropes or straps and that are of sufficient strength to withstand a force of 2 224.11 N (500 pounds) applied separately from any direction to each tie-down point.

(**Don't confuse ropes and straps with tie down cross bars and clamps)

SOR/2003-359, s. 4.

BC Motor Vehicle Act
Motor Vehicle Act Regulations
Cargo securement

35.04 Vehicles must be equipped and cargo must be contained, immobilized or secured in accordance with the applicable requirements of this Division and the Standard and so that it cannot

(a) leak, spill, blow off, fall from, fall through or otherwise be dislodged from the vehicle, or

(b) shift on or within the vehicle in a manner that affects the stability or maneuverability of the vehicle.

[en. B.C. Reg. 113/2005, Sch. 1.]

Also see the following link taken from the Traffic Safety in Alberta Website:

Saferoads.com - Vehicle Safety

thanks that helps

but it doesnt answer why superclamps are marked:

" off road use only "

:confused:

highmarkdude

Reaction score
I have seen the superclamp loops that the clamps hook into with load ratings on them.

aparantely the new ones do , mine dont

either way as i read the law the tiedown point doesnt have to be rated anyway , its the actual tiedown that needs a "working load limit" . Superclamps do not have that

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
aparantely the new ones do , mine dont

either way as i read the law the tiedown point doesnt have to be rated anyway , its the actual tiedown that needs a "working load limit" . Superclamps do not have that

I don't think any of the traditional ski hold-downs have a stated 'load limit' they are usually just a square piece of tube with a threaded bolt. I would hate to have to go back to messing with that system. I trust my Superclamps.

I wonder if some of you are confusing commercial tie-down laws with our recreational uses.

highmarkdude

Reaction score
I don't think any of the traditional ski hold-downs have a stated 'load limit' they are usually just a square piece of tube with a threaded bolt. I would hate to have to go back to messing with that system. I trust my Superclamps.

I wonder if some of you are confusing commercial tie-down laws with our recreational uses.

Trust is a good thing , but i doubt an RC or DOT applying the law to the letter would take your trust into consideration

these are new regulations and the word out there is they ARE being enforced , so the past doesnt much matter, its the current law that should apply

I wasnt aware commercial law was different from "recreational" law !

so a surveryor hauling his sleds for work would be "commercial" or recreational ?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust is a good thing , but i doubt an RC or DOT applying the law to the letter would take your trust into consideration

these are new regulations and the word out there is they ARE being enforced , so the past doesnt much matter, its the current law that should apply

I wasnt aware commercial law was different from "recreational" law !

so a surveryor hauling his sleds for work would be "commercial" or recreational ?

no question commercial = for work any more questions

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks that helps

but it doesnt answer why superclamps are marked:

" off road use only "

:confused:

Good Question! And there is a maximim sled weight rating on them and it's 800lbs. I do not understand why it says off road use only on them tho. Maybe it should of said "off road vehicule use only" I dunno.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come on guys, the RC's and DOT's arent going to be that anal, They have seen superclamps used for years, I dont think their going to start nitpicking every little thing, their more then likely out to get the guy with the unsecured load or a sled on a deck with a superclamp and nothing across the back or a visibly frayed strap. They dont have the manpower nor the funds to check everyone and look at every strap they see for load ratings. I'm sure if your load is secured properly then they wont bother you.

Unless their going to start having DOT checks like they do in ontario, and if they do that then look out, we're in for a long winter.:(

Superclamp

Reaction score
Hollow everybody. I am here to tell all Superclamp Users as well as the ones who dont. Superclamps are Totally Legal. #1- You have all read the postings of the DOT requirerments, Some are reading it , but they are misinterpetting what is being said. #2-Tie down Straps (motorcycle tie down and ratchet straps) are to be load rated to comply with the new regulations, NOT Tie down Bars or Tie Down Clamps (ours are a mechanical device). This does not mean if your old Tie Down straps dont have a load rating you cannot use them, the new regulations is for the Manufactures of Tie Down Straps now needs to have a load rating on them before you can sell it to the consumer. Our Clamp since 2006 have a load rating on them as we had to do this to Comply with the DOT in Europe as well as we had to put For off road use only. The word Tie Down is a slang, because it can mean a lot of things. Question, have you read everything on the superclamp? Why is there still people not tieing the rear of their sleds down, we say that on the clamp , to be used in conjuction with a rear tie down (to be clear strap or clamp). If you have any Questions on, If Superclamps are Legal or not, I would be happy to answer anyone question about this posting. Feel free to call me Randall from Superclamp 1-403-203-2210 Thanks to all that use Superclamp.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Hollow everybody. I am here to tell all Superclamp Users as well as the ones who dont. Superclamps are Totally Legal. #1- You have all read the postings of the DOT requirerments, Some are reading it , but they are misinterpetting what is being said. #2-Tie down Straps (motorcycle tie down and ratchet straps) are to be load rated to comply with the new regulations, NOT Tie down Bars or Tie Down Clamps (ours are a mechanical device). This does not mean if your old Tie Down straps dont have a load rating you cannot use them, the new regulations is for the Manufactures of Tie Down Straps now needs to have a load rating on them before you can sell it to the consumer. Our Clamp since 2006 have a load rating on them as we had to do this to Comply with the DOT in Europe as well as we had to put For off road use only. The word Tie Down is a slang, because it can mean a lot of things. Question, have you read everything on the superclamp? Why is there still people not tieing the rear of their sleds down, we say that on the clamp , to be used in conjuction with a rear tie down (to be clear strap or clamp). If you have any Questions on, If Superclamps are Legal or not, I would be happy to answer anyone question about this posting. Feel free to call me Randall from Superclamp 1-403-203-2210 Thanks to all that use Superclamp.

Thanks Randall...

highmarkdude

Reaction score
For off road use only. The word Tie Down is a slang, because it can mean a lot of things. Question, have you read everything on the superclamp? Why is there still people not tieing the rear of their sleds down, we say that on the clamp , to be used in conjuction with a rear tie down (to be clear strap or clamp). .

so your tellin consumers to ignore the " offroad use only "

but heed the " to be used in conjunction with a rear tiedown"

doesnt seem right to me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom