Summit XM pin weight, picture inside

hpjunkie

Reaction score
Haven't seen one of these yet Rev properly. Without checking my notes I think 380 was the finish rate on primary spring to run 15.9 G
Springs that came with kit we old only get to Rev properly with 14.5G unless clicker was on 6 which is no good.

My experience also. You can try a set of 412 ramps with your current setup, or increase primary finish.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
414 work good too. Tip is a little steeper then 441 allowing higher rpm and recover quicker then 441 also.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked with joe on the phone today(still waiting for a call/email back from roosterbuilt). Also figured out what primary spring is in the roosterbuilt kit, brp YELLOW.

joe also suggested putting the stock can on saying the can could be an issue as the etec is pretty temperamental to back pressure. However I can't be certain that my memory is solid. I told him
no matter the clicker change I didn't see a big rpm difference. I do remember cranking the clicker to 6 and seeing lots of rpm but felt like a lost a pile of track speed.

So from the phone call he told me to go up on the final seat pressure for the primary spring and leave the pin weight where it is. However i forget what he said I should jump to. FACK!

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^
That's funny on the muffler .
Joe and I are good friends and that's why I suggested it as have seen problems with mufflers before.
Keep tuning and you will get
It pulling the recommended 7900 rpm.
Braaaaaap

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id go back to the stock gearing for 1. Not sure why they'd gear up that sled unless its Turboed. It does not run out of gearing stock.

There is 0 good reasons to gear that sled up a tooth.(that I can see) What are you going for, top speed runs on the lake??

All its going to do is put more load on, and your clutches will never fully shift.

i don't disagree. I was sold on the roosterbuilt doolade... I did find my stock gear. I'd just like to get this sorted before a mountain trip and I'm fighting with sub par clutching. The stock springs had about 1000km on them so I don't want to put those back in. I also don't know if roosterbuilt actually gets dalton to make a custom helix or if it's an off the shelf item. I'm almost at the point of just starting over with a new clutch kit.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't disagree. I was sold on the roosterbuilt doolade... I did find my stock gear. I'd just like to get this sorted before a mountain trip and I'm fighting with sub par clutching. The stock springs had about 1000km on them so I don't want to put those back in. I also don't know if roosterbuilt actually gets dalton to make a custom helix or if it's an off the shelf item. I'm almost at the point of just starting over with a new clutch kit.

Just put it back to stock then(1000km is nothing), It will work better then the setup you got. I guarantee.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put the 15 t3 stuff in, that's what I'm doing with my 14

Not much can be had on a t3 setup, mabe a bit more backshift and down hill engine braking

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skidoo doesn't have a yellow spring. Roosterbilt kits usually came with a 350 finish rate, unless they changed that? 160/380 part# 417 222 703 is what you want. Put your gearing back also.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put the 15 t3 stuff in, that's what I'm doing with my 14

Not much can be had on a t3 setup, mabe a bit more backshift and down hill engine braking
I rode several days last year on a T3 174 at Kuster's and I could not believe the down hill engine braking how good it was?! I have rode cat for years and this was one of the first things I noticed. I thought the clutching was pretty bang on.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked with RB about the issue last year - he recommended installing 412 ramps - it did help - but really never got to put the clutching to a good test - snow wasnt the greatest

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T3 runs a 160/350, 438 ramps, 40 helix and blue driven spring 157/214. All you'd really have to change would be the 441 ramps to the 438. XM non T3 ran a 42 helix with 441 ramps. 40 helix with 438 ramps is going to increase rpm due to 2 degree lower helix angle and 438 is a little bit steeper at tip. Start of 438 is lower then 441 allowing better engine braking.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode several days last year on a T3 174 at Kuster's and I could not believe the down hill engine braking how good it was?! I have rode cat for years and this was one of the first things I noticed. I thought the clutching was pretty bang on.
Yes they really got it

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to 412 ramps, add 2 grams of weight over what was initially recommend. Go back to 160/350 primary spring. Problem solved. Did wonders for mine. Was super happy with kit after that.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to 412 ramps, add 2 grams of weight over what was initially recommend. Go back to 160/350 primary spring. Problem solved. Did wonders for mine. Was super happy with kit after that.
Leave the bigger top gear?

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread. But I have a 14 163 I am 210 without gear. I had issues the first year I had it but last year I got it dialled and it works great. So here is what I am using in mine. I went back to the stock gearing with the 19t top. I am running about 18g pin weight and the springs that came with the kit. The game changer was the ramps. Go to a 412. Thing pulls like a fricking champ now. Buddy has a 15 t3 163 he weighs probably 40 lbs less then me and there were very few times when his sled performed better then mine in the very deep snow. Hope this helps.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One other thing. PM Winter Brew on here he is the guy that builds these kits. He helped me with mine awesome guy.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rooster has been using the 412 the last 2 seasons, that should solve the rpm issue, assuming it is all in the clutching. All else can remain the same.
Most guys had no rpm issues with the 441's, but after some feedback similar to what you are seeing we made the switch to 412's for all but very low elevation. Stock gearing or a tooth taller for 154 or lighter riders has been working good.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you put the 412s in? That's what makes the kit.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you put the 412s in? That's what makes the kit.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

My kit never came with ramps.

I'll see what I can track down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom