Strathcona County OHV Laws

Tuffmudder

Reaction score
OHV COP, this is basically for you.

What are the most common offenses that you come across, and if it's not obvious, how do we fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using

OHV COP

Reaction score
OHV COP, this is basically for you.

What are the most common offenses that you come across, and if it's not obvious, how do we fix it?

The most common by far is not having the OHV registered and insured. Coming in a close second would not having the documentation of said registration, insurance and drivers licence.

Here is a link to the OHV Regulation: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/regs/2002_319.pdf

We also see a lot of Gaming and Liquor violations. Finally the one that gives us all a bad name littering.

We see a lot of licence plate violations but deal with those on a case by case basis.

All my partner and I want is for everyone to have a safe enjoyable outing. We are not there to hammer people with tickets. We are there to keep the community and people in the community safe.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you say license plate violations, I assume you mean not mounted to the vehicle. On my sled there is no place to mount it so it (along with insurance and registration) sits in my storage compartment so I assume I would be OK if checked?

JAD

Reaction score
I was curious about that too. I've read that it must be mounted to the front or back. Vs many people who mount on the side (or just keep in the storage compartment)

OHV COP

Reaction score
I was curious about that too. I've read that it must be mounted to the front or back. Vs many people who mount on the side (or just keep in the storage compartment)

Sent from my iPhone using [/QUOT

Well for this one I will need to give you guys the law answer and then my answer. The law states:

Licence plates 18(1) The Registrar must issue an off-highway licence plate for an
off-highway vehicle if the Registrar issues a certificate of
registration for the off-highway vehicle.
(2) The Registrar must issue off-highway vehicle licence plates in
the number and of the type and colour approved by the Minister.
(3) The owner of an off-highway vehicle must attach the licence
plate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of the
off-highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible

My answer as long as you have it all with you, I will generally be ok with that. If you do get stopped though it is a violation and you may be ticketed. I am only one officer of many and it is at the discretion of each officer. So if you do get stopped please don't say well Mr. OHV COP said....

Tuffmudder

Reaction score
I'm guessing if a guy is drinking/littering/sledding in a prohibited area, then the discretion level might diminish. ;)

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heard a RUMOUR that your people are charging riders with trespassing ON the Snow Angels trails if they don't have a Trail Pass. Is this true? We have had you at our meetings and had concerns of this becoming a issue. One ticket to the wrong landowner will KILL the trail system.

OHV COP

Reaction score
Heard a RUMOUR that your people are charging riders with trespassing ON the Snow Angels trails if they don't have a Trail Pass. Is this true? We have had you at our meetings and had concerns of this becoming a issue. One ticket to the wrong landowner will KILL the trail system.

Well that is exactly what it is, a rumor. We do not lay charges under a Prov Act for a private entity (Snow Angels) We do not enforce laws for the Snow Angels as the Snow Angles and the trail system do not have authority to make laws. We do however enforce other Provincial Laws throughout the county including the Snow Angel Trails. I was at the meetings and I remember you and the conversation.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the info ohv cop. I bookmarked the PDF file you attached for future reference.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well that is exactly what it is, a rumor. We do not lay charges under a Prov Act for a private entity (Snow Angels) We do not enforce laws for the Snow Angels as the Snow Angles and the trail system do not have authority to make laws. We do however enforce other Provincial Laws throughout the county including the Snow Angel Trails. I was at the meetings and I remember you and the conversation.

Good. Heard that it has happened and that it was false. So let me ask you this then. IF there was a ATV for instance on the trail how do we go about charging them with trespassing as a last resort to have them stay off the trails?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well that is exactly what it is, a rumor. We do not lay charges under a Prov Act for a private entity (Snow Angels) We do not enforce laws for the Snow Angels as the Snow Angles and the trail system do not have authority to make laws. We do however enforce other Provincial Laws throughout the county including the Snow Angel Trails. I was at the meetings and I remember you and the conversatio.

As a trail system with a lease agreement with the landowner or leaseholder we do have a chance to charge someone with trespassing within the law. Yes or No? Do we contact your group then IF we ever need to do this?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JUST asking the question about trespassing. We need to know our options incase of problems in the future

OHV COP

Reaction score
As a trail system with a lease agreement with the landowner or leaseholder we do have a chance to charge someone with trespassing within the law. Yes or No? Do we contact your group then IF we ever need to do this?

This would open a whole new can of worms. It would be very hard to do with so much land being utilized. The owner of the land would need to post no trespassing signs at all entrance to the property and so on. There are so many ways to access the trail system from crown land, for example Bruderheim. Long and short of it is...Yes someone could be charged with trespassing. Likelihood of a conviction IMO not very good at all. It is also one of those things where an officer would need to catch you in the act. As a member of the public would have no way to confirm ID on said offender. I know when we stop people without trail passes we hand out the cards you guys gave us with contact info and warn the offender. If we see them again we have tools to discourage such behavior.

Are you having problems with unauthorized sledders this year? If so please PM me.

OHV

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
The most common by far is not having the OHV registered and insured. Coming in a close second would not having the documentation of said registration, insurance and drivers licence.

Here is a link to the OHV Regulation: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/regs/2002_319.pdf

We also see a lot of Gaming and Liquor violations. Finally the one that gives us all a bad name littering.

We see a lot of licence plate violations but deal with those on a case by case basis.

All my partner and I want is for everyone to have a safe enjoyable outing. We are not there to hammer people with tickets. We are there to keep the community and people in the community safe.

OHV Cop, what violations, if a violation, do you come across with modified/extremely load exhaust systems on certain sleds? Reasoning as I previously owned a sled which I were the second owner and previous owner removed stock exhaust with aftermarket exhaust and I had been advised if stopped I would likely be facing a fine. Also, I understand for those landowners who permit use of their land for trail usage get quite annoyed to those riding off trail, close to their houses and property late at night with those noise makers.

OHV COP

Reaction score
OHV Cop, what violations, if a violation, do you come across with modified/extremely load exhaust systems on certain sleds? Reasoning as I previously owned a sled which I were the second owner and previous owner removed stock exhaust with aftermarket exhaust and I had been advised if stopped I would likely be facing a fine. Also, I understand for those landowners who permit use of their land for trail usage get quite annoyed to those riding off trail, close to their houses and property late at night with those noise makers.

Muffler
8(1) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle unless the
off-highway vehicle is equipped with an exhaust muffler that
complies with this section.
(2) An exhaust muffler must cool and expel the exhaust gases from
the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames
or sparks.
(3) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the exhaust
outlet of the muffler has been widened.
(4) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if a device is
attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the
noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows
gases in or leaving the exhaust system to be ignited.
(5) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the exhaust
muffler
(a) is cut out or disconnected from the engine, or
Section 9 AR 319/2002

(b) has had a baffle plate or other part removed

The loud exhaust is complaint driven. As a rule of thumb exhaust would need to be loud enough that it would disturb a reasonable persons enjoyment of the same land.

look under section 2.17.

Great question, thank you

OHV

OHV COP

Reaction score
And snowmobile light requirements on trail systems? What is required by law?

Use of headlamps
4 At any time during the period of night time or when, due to
insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, objects
are not clearly discernible at a distance of at least 60 metres ahead,
a person shall not have an off-highway vehicle in motion in a
public place unless its headlamps are alight and are providing
sufficient light to make objects at a distance of at least 60 metres
ahead clearly visible.
Equipment
Headlamps
5(1) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle in a public
place unless there are mounted on the front of that off-highway
vehicle one or 2 headlamps that comply with this section.
(2) The light from a headlamp must be white, and the lens and
bulb of the headlamp must be made of clear untinted glazing.
Section 6 AR 319/2002

OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE REGULATION

(3) The headlamps must be of sufficient intensity to reveal a
person, another vehicle or a thing that is at least 60 metres ahead.
(4) The headlamps must be aimed so that, on a straight level
surface, the high intensity portion of the beam will not shine in the
eyes of an approaching driver.
(5) No person shall attach or apply anything that colours the light
from a headlamp to the headlamp, part of the headlamp or a bulb in
the headlamp.
Tail lamps
6(1) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle in a public
place unless the off-highway vehicle has at least one tail lamp
mounted on the rear of the off-highway vehicle.
(2) The tail lamp on the rear of an off-highway vehicle must be
capable of emitting a red light that is visible from at least 60 metres
to the rear.
(3) A light on the rear of an off-highway vehicle must be red.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOUD EHAUST another can of worms. This is a issue with landowners and other sledders and trail operators who hear from them all

Top Bottom