SRD trail closure?

crmxgirl

Reaction score
I was looking on the Alberta SRD website last night and under Bighorn backcountry- Trail & area updates I see that they have listed a bunch of the trails at hummingbird and the north ram as CLOSED to OHV use until December 1, 2011.
* Brazeau River Trail
* Canary Creek Trail
* Onion Creek Trail
* Hummingbird Creek Trail
* Trail to James Lake and Eagle Lake
* Clearwater Trail/Skeleton Creek Trail
* Ranger Creek Trail
* Whitegoat Trail/Littlehorn Trail

Has anyone else read about this? Do they usually do this and then change it once riding conditions are better after runoff season? I have never looked on the website before.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks. I wanted to try the hummingbird trail this year. Oh well. Lots of other places.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not heard anything of this, most of that should open to quads etc. July 1st. I am a member of the Bighorn Heritage ATV Society , i will contact the higher ups in the club and find out for sure. We as this club do all the trail maintance & building on many of these areas and help keep them open for everyone.
Will get back as soon as i find out.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is this Brazeau river trail? you aren't refering to the brazeau dam area are you?

KLX140

Reaction score
I would take that as a general "closed". Ive learned alot about land advocacy while working with another group (and indirectly my job) and there are plenty of areas that are at risk of/ already being shut down in that area. Its a shame, because even if we are lucky enough to have access to many areas around here, there are places in the province where the offroad riding (especially single track) is almost non-existant. Sometimes its in regards to land quality, sometimes its commercial interests of nearby residents, sometimes it in "fariness" to other recreational groups. Just kind of unfortunate to see fun trails close.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take that as a general "closed". Ive learned alot about land advocacy while working with another group (and indirectly my job) and there are plenty of areas that are at risk of/ already being shut down in that area. Its a shame, because even if we are lucky enough to have access to many areas around here, there are places in the province where the offroad riding (especially single track) is almost non-existant. Sometimes its in regards to land quality, sometimes its commercial interests of nearby residents, sometimes it in "fariness" to other recreational groups. Just kind of unfortunate to see fun trails close.

If people put half the effort into advocating for and maintaining the areas that we have as they do into whining about getting stopped by the cops, we would have the best recreational areas in the world.

Cranes10

Reaction score
SRD is really cracking down this year.. They plan on shutting down allot more according to some atv dealers in Edmonton.. I believe green piece is on the board.. If they can't take away the oilsands they will take the back ohv trails..

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to your MLA about it.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats defiantly what the SRD site says but they give no reasons or explenations

Seriously think they have to?

As mentioned, if everybody followed the rules, and actually cared about the trails and them remaining open we wouldn't be in this situation. This is only the start.

SRD themselves aren't there to shut down trails. They are there to maintain them. If it shows we can't, they close them down. They don't need reasons. The reasons are obvious.

Clubs work with the SRD to design and maintain sustainable trails. It's up to us to follow these rules, care for the environment while enjoying it, and hope this is enough to allow us to keep our sport alive.

I've done plenty of ranting on here, but maybe 5-8% actually listen. That shows me we're facked no matter how we look at it. People are too selfish.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a west country stake holders meeting on the 29th of march at the comminity centre at 7 pm(doors open at 6pm) in rocky about some of these issues. energy spokes people west country stake holders and srd will be in atendance as well as speaking. i will be planning to attend for reasons due to this. my family and another familt run 752 West RV ATV Campground west of rocky and are directly involved with all these issues. the stake holders group more deals with the enegry sector in the west country but are saying there will be disscusions on environment impact and ohv impact and issues. i have a few ideas that might help with funding for maintnence ond other costs that go with the whole issue. the paper says there will be a mini trade fair put on as well so if your intrested and want to see what all the on going buzz is about join us. pm me or feel free to call me.

Last edited:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
there is a west country stake holders meeting on the 29th of march at the comminity centre at 7 pm(doors open at 6pm) in rocky about some of these issues. energy spokes people west country stake holders and srd will be in atendance as well as speaking. i will be planning to attend for reasons due to this. my family and another familt run 752 West RV ATV Campground west of rocky and are directly involved with all these issues. the stake holders group more deals with the enegry sector in the west country but are saying there will be disscusions on environment impact and ohv impact and issues. i have a few ideas that might help with funding for maintnence ond other costs that go with the whole issue. the paper says there will be a mini trade fair put on as well so if your intrested and want to see what all the on going buzz is about join us. pm me or feel free to call me.

Excellent !! I'll try my best to be there and I look forward to meeting you.

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

As mentioned, if everybody followed the rules, and actually cared about the trails and them remaining open we wouldn't be in this situation. This is only the start.

SRD themselves aren't there to shut down trails. They are there to maintain them. If it shows we can't, they close them down. They don't need reasons. The reasons are obvious.

Clubs work with the SRD to design and maintain sustainable trails. It's up to us to follow these rules, care for the environment while enjoying it, and hope this is enough to allow us to keep our sport alive.

I've done plenty of ranting on here, but maybe 5-8% actually listen. That shows me we're facked no matter how we look at it. People are too selfish.
Guess I'm not as smart you, knowing all they reasons that areas are being closed. I would still like to see expanations posted with new restrictions or closures. I have lived in this area all my life and have ridden out west for 30 years. I try my best to follow the rules of the trail and I also know that others don't give a sh*t. It's just so frustrating that I think i'll quit before I get started.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah I do think they need to explain their actions. Everyone else in life has to. These are public lands and SRD doesn't own them, they manage them. They are still owned by the people of Alberta for use by the people of Alberta. If SRD decides to deny access to a user group, they should be required to say why, unless you like the idea of the government acting like a bunch of dictators. If you feel OHV users are responsible for their actions and the decisions they make, why not SRD?

RaineMaker

Reaction score
Yeah I do think they need to explain their actions. Everyone else in life has to. These are public lands and SRD doesn't own them, they manage them. They are still owned by the people of Alberta for use by the people of Alberta. If SRD decides to deny access to a user group, they should be required to say why, unless you like the idea of the government acting like a bunch of dictators. If you feel OHV users are responsible for their actions and the decisions they make, why not SRD?

Well put. Lately I've been feeling more and more like we live in an elected dictatorship. I can't stand how freekin oil companies run this country. They can clear cut an area and build a road to set up a rig all over the mountains yet ohvs are a big no no. If we only had the coin as a group to afford the lawers that the oil companies have we could do anything just like they do. I'm all about bans for certain seasons while thongs are fragile. Amd I'm all about respecting our environment and I follow all rules and laws but I feel I'm obviously a minority or these things wouldn't happen. I read on the site and they did the same in 2010 then the trails opened July 1st so well have to see.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wonder if this is in regards to the srd questionaire this year. if you don't want to see future closures, as ackid says meetiing march 29 at 7 pm rocky community centre. these meetings are like a secret, only a select few are notified. :beer:

BigShow

Reaction score
ya know what...its not even the rally riders that cause the harm...a well organized rally is looked after and most of the people wanna keep the rally going...so they behave and act like mature adults..the people that just love to ride are repectful...the SRD gets mad cause after a rally the path chosen looks beat up for a month or so til the greens push through again...but what the real probelm is the weekend riders...the people that just dor ide anywhere..and don't actually care..the people that aren't members of a site or club like this..I've gone riding to lots of different location and have just cleaned up areas after other weekend camper/riders that don't really care..they just get drunk and make a mess...the SRD put restrictions on organized groups and peoples that wanna have fun riding together and haveing a good time..but the SRD should start focusing not on the rallies and people trying to enjoy a nice fun group ride..they should start cracking down on the riders that go camping once or twice a year only to get drunk and party and trash that place...let the organized respectful riders be.

Altapeet

Reaction score
ya know what...its not even the rally riders that cause the harm...a well organized rally is looked after and most of the people wanna keep the rally going...so they behave and act like mature adults..the people that just love to ride are repectful...the SRD gets mad cause after a rally the path chosen looks beat up for a month or so til the greens push through again...but what the real probelm is the weekend riders...the people that just dor ide anywhere..and don't actually care..the people that aren't members of a site or club like this..I've gone riding to lots of different location and have just cleaned up areas after other weekend camper/riders that don't really care..they just get drunk and make a mess...the SRD put restrictions on organized groups and peoples that wanna have fun riding together and haveing a good time..but the SRD should start focusing not on the rallies and people trying to enjoy a nice fun group ride..they should start cracking down on the riders that go camping once or twice a year only to get drunk and party and trash that place...let the organized respectful riders be.

Don't kid yourself, there are lots of riders that "belong " to this site or a local club that go out there and trash the back country. it's a pack mentality ...look at bubba in the mud ...I can do better than that !! and then the race is on.

But I think there is a solution : getting organized beyond the local small club scenario.There is strength in numbers and if all the clubs got together like the ASA or perhaps even as an arm of the ASA then you have some clout . Another Idea would be to approach concerned at interested dealers or even our MLA about a fee tacked on to every ATV or OHV (sort of like the tire tax when you buy new tires) That fee would go directly toward an ongoing advertising campaign to educate riders about taking care of their privilege to ride on crown land .it could also go toward trail improvements and even lobbying the government to open more areas to responsible riders. We need to be willing to police ourselves as well and when you see people deliberately damaging riding areas , speak up, take plate numbers and report it.

The Government doesn't have to listen to a group of 15 or 20 riders in a local club because there is no vote incentive there(15 pizzd off riders cant threaten a gov. seat), but 1500 or 15000 riders in a province wide club would get their attention and then you have a chance..

First and most importantly though I think rider education is key to curbing the damage being done to the environment and the sport.I like to ride the mud as much as the next guy but there is a limit and if we don't get a handle on it we will just keep watching our riding areas disappear more and more ,every year.

Top Bottom