Spot global phones

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In light of my recent injury in the back country, I purchased a spot global phone just after Christmas. Awesome deal. 499$ with a 250$ rebate after activation. I thought what the he||, give it a try. Has anyone used these or have any reviews about them?

westhawk39

Reaction score
I have an inreach se. Unfortunately you are limited to pressing the SOS button which gets directed through who knows where (i know locally there have been issues as it is new technology) and text and email to people you have info for. You cannot make any other calls, call a "home phone" or try 911 directly if the message fails.

Let us know how the phone works out. Wish i could have both in one device

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want reliable communications use Inreach, they use the Iridium Sat system (same one used by the military ) Spot uses Globalstar Sat system. I had a Globalstar Sat phone, it worked fine if you are in clear view of the sky and can move around. As you know thats not always the case. Bought the Inreach Explorer this year, have used it dirt biking and sledding. Works awesome and has a 100 hour battery. Has independent 2 way texting (don't need your smart phone with you) so you can have constant communication. This is a piece of equipment that needs to work everywhere, not almost everywhere.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like mine had to call in a forest fire was in a valley and connected right up and it was an overcast day. I have made several calls through out northern AB/BC and in very rural Sask in rain sun snowstorm you name it. I have the in reach black box if anyone wants it. I tried the inreach se and was not impressed send a message wait 20 min for response. in emergency I would rather talk to someone now give info and treat wounds now not wait for someone to type and wait.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In light of my recent injury in the back country, I purchased a spot global phone just after Christmas. Awesome deal. 499$ with a 250$ rebate after activation. I thought what the he||, give it a try. Has anyone used these or have any reviews about them?

I've had mine for two years now. Works well, Battery life is awesome. Not to cumbersome to carry. I would be without it. Its great to phone the buddies from the top of the hill and rub it in to them or god forbid you need it in an emergency its always there.

Service has always been there never had any problems. I was told NOT to buy the Iridium.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our iridium is awesome. A little bit of s delay in communication but it's always reliable. Both calls I have received from a spot phone were crisp clear no delay sounded like I was talking on a regular phone but totally unreliable signal must have dropped those calls 10 times

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Our iridium is awesome. A little bit of s delay in communication but it's always reliable. Both calls I have received from a spot phone were crisp clear no delay sounded like I was talking on a regular phone but totally unreliable signal must have dropped those calls 10 times

I heard there is a guy in your group that uses his spot phone to order pizza.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I do find if you don't keep your head still that it will drop a call. Had this happen a couple times. Wouldn't say its unreliable. I have never not got the call out.

Last edited:

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like mine had to call in a forest fire was in a valley and connected right up and it was an overcast day. I have made several calls through out northern AB/BC and in very rural Sask in rain sun snowstorm you name it. I have the in reach black box if anyone wants it. I tried the inreach se and was not impressed send a message wait 20 min for response. in emergency I would rather talk to someone now give info and treat wounds now not wait for someone to type and wait.
Maybe great in more open areas ,in the mountains and trees not so good. In the Whistler area.

Last edited:

westhawk39

Reaction score
Satellites are so far up that you don't need a very large "clear area" to get signal. If you got stuck in a tree well you might have an issue

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not 100 percent sure its the same as it used to be with Globalstar.(Spot uses globalstar sats) But we used to go online to Globalstar, enter the area you are going to be riding and you can get and print a four day report of when optimum satellite signal will be for your area. Doesn't matter if its cloudy or snowy or not when it says you have service from say 3:19pm to 4:06pm for example it is spot on. Never failed for us. If there are no satellites overhead at the time you are calling you will not get a signal or you can get temporary signals that drop calls. Its surprising how much of the time you do have service but how unlucky you can be trying to find it when you do not have a Service time.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want reliable communications use Inreach, they use the Iridium Sat system (same one used by the military ) Spot uses Globalstar Sat system. I had a Globalstar Sat phone, it worked fine if you are in clear view of the sky and can move around. As you know thats not always the case. Bought the Inreach Explorer this year, have used it dirt biking and sledding. Works awesome and has a 100 hour battery. Has independent 2 way texting (don't need your smart phone with you) so you can have constant communication. This is a piece of equipment that needs to work everywhere, not almost everywhere.

Used my Globalstar a week or so ago and a buddy had his Iridium. Mine worked his didn't. I have a Iridium as well but just use my globalstar now

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

If you would have hurried up and told me where the $%^# to go I wouldnt have had to call you back ten times....

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I heard there is a guy in your group that uses his spot phone to order pizza.

You cant carry over the minutes.... And really... can you put a price on that? heading back from the hill.... pull over and BAM.. Hot pizza!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
You cant carry over the minutes.... And really... can you put a price on that? heading back from the hill.... pull over and BAM.. Hot pizza!

hahaha, you told me that about the minutes, and really, hot pizza is good....... maybe you can convince Maxwell to install a pizza oven in the trailer for ya

Top Bottom