Some hope for the 800CFI

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this to fix the Recall for the pistons? Because they sent them with only one ring, Mine was taken in and they fixed it, Put a regular piston in with 2 rings like normal what I am I thinking of?

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this to fix the Recall for the pistons? Because they sent them with only one ring, Mine was taken in and they fixed it, Put a regular piston in with 2 rings like normal what I am I thinking of?

No these kits come with a taller duel ring piston and a shim plate,with longer cyl bolts and a base gasket.The taller piston puts more surface on the cyl less rocking and less heat.

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
The pms kit has wiseco pistons, I wouldn't use wisecos in the mtns unless i had a helicoptor for backup. Would be ok for the flatlanders. pms kit doesn't adjust your port timing to make it better for mtn riders and turbo users.
A 1/4" taller piston doesn't make the difference for less rocking. theres something else thats takes care of that.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pms kit has wiseco pistons, I wouldn't use wisecos in the mtns unless i had a helicoptor for backup. Would be ok for the flatlanders. pms kit doesn't adjust your port timing to make it better for mtn riders and turbo users.
A 1/4" taller piston doesn't make the difference for less rocking. theres something else thats takes care of that.

So what's the magic of your kit's and I ask again what stock cast piston does your kit use?

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pms kit has wiseco pistons, I wouldn't use wisecos in the mtns unless i had a helicoptor for backup. Would be ok for the flatlanders. pms kit doesn't adjust your port timing to make it better for mtn riders and turbo users.A 1/4" taller piston doesn't make the difference for less rocking. theres something else thats takes care of that.
. You have some facts to back this up? All the info that I have read online makes it sound like the PMS kit is working as advertised. Is your company offering something different for these sleds?Trench

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
I'm sure they work, how long? who knows? alot of people have experience with wiseco pistons in the mtns in the sleds. Most change there pistons every year. If they make it that long.

Ours is different, as I mentioned.

T

TracksCanada

Never heard a manufacturer called "different" before, they must be very special...

I'm willing to bet you will not get the answer to "different" or "what pistons you use" Why should he give you that info for free? Ever go to a lawyer or account and not get charged for there knowledge or experience.

Could be wrong just my .02 cents.

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
Hemi, thanks for the back up, if I say what pistons, rings, pins I use and gaskets then 5 other builders will start to make the kits with out knowing what there doing and take some sales from our time of testing, which has happens alot. It gets a bit frustrating, since we are in the mtns building and testing the best engines, offering the best for our clients.
So as I mentioned we have made a real good kit using a better designed cast piston, (should get 5000kms), We adjust the port timing for the clients for either high elevation mtn riding or turbos or can set it up for lake racers back east. What ever the client wants. Plus with our billit heads we can change the dome design and offer different compression ratios for pump gas or race fuel set ups. Our head design also helps cooling a bit better then stock or the rest.
I would just suggest if you get a different kit using wisecos, be sure to check the piston clearance every year. If i ran them in my engine I would be checking them every season or replacing them.

Hey its just "Some Hope for the 800CFI!"

Hopefully by xmas we will have a bigger bore coming, something that is in the works, but it will most likely have a wiseco piston, the consumer will know that and should check the pistons every year. But not bad for a wicked boondocking sled making 140 - 175+ hp, use single pipe and pump gas. with instant throttle response and acceleration.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if Polaris wouldn't have built such a crappy engine, then there wouldn't be companies trying to make a buck off of this project. Hopefully the 2011 sled has this engine issue resolved, otherwise guys like myself will not be staying with Polaris. I just find it funny that PMS will tell you what piston they will use, but Terra Alps won't. If Polaris had the answer to their screw up, then I would have bought their product, but they chose to put it under the rug and develop something else instead. I understand that Terra Alps wants to keep there kit a secret, and I also understand that this thread is about a possible solution to the issue about the Polaris engine issue. I will let you all know that I am trying the PMS kit this winter, because i am not trying to sell anything, just trying to help others with my experiences.

Also,

This isn't a lawyers office, this is the internet...

Last edited:

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to steal your secrets,just find it interesting that one kit uses a "custom" piston and another uses a"stock cast" piston.All I'm trying to do is keep my 800 running,guess I will keep on reading and changing pistons.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to steal your secrets,just find it interesting that one kit uses a "custom" piston and another uses a"stock cast" piston.All I'm trying to do is keep my 800 running,guess I will keep on reading and changing pistons.
Timbo, did you have more issues with your sled after you did the PMS kit?Trench

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Timbo, did you have more issues with your sled after you did the PMS kit?Trench

Ya the cyl I bought out the states was to tight with the wiscoes had minor scuffing.Having them hone fit and a little port work done.
All is good.

DiamondDave

Reaction score
I might be trying out the Terra Alps kit this year. He is using a very high quality OE (not a Polaris) piston.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got the "Fix" and in process of installing it, took cylinders to my dealer mechanic and they need to be re-lined and set to the fix specs. My question is have any of you heard of the "gizmo" my mechanic said it is a secondary thermostat you put inline and what it does is after you stop for a beer/lunch break the motor temp is still high but the cooler temps(under tunnel) are cold, so when you fire back up your cylinder gets a cold shot of coolant and causes the sqeek in motors, so this secondary thermostat will stay closed keeping warm coolant around cylinders tell the rest of coolant is to temp. Have any of you heard of this "gizmo"??? also does anyone have an 08 800 head?? the boys from PMS say that head works the best with the fix.

Here is what my pistons looked like after 2600miles and thats no BS!! the mag side piston got damage from last ride of yr I injusted powder into my air box, foam around breather was worn out, got that problem solved thanks to Timbersled intake!!

IMG00146-20110927-2101.jpg

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of info on the Gizmo on snowest,I myself won't be using it.It will make your sled run hotter like around 140-150 degrees all the time.I like mine at 122.I am going to try the SLP by-pass kit and a extra hole in the thermostat,hope it will help with the cold shot they get when you start up after a break.

Top Bottom