so i have to ask....why dont some people run tarps...?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered how people are either that cheap or lazy to not cover there sleds on decks or open trailers
been using the same cover on my xm since 2015 and it has no rips or tears
i do put bungee straps around the spindles as they tend to flap with out them
we normally don't tarp them after riding on the way back to the hotel unless we are heading home the next day

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If going with others and my sled is going on open place trailer I take my own truck with sled on deck and covered .
I am not filling my sled full of salt , sand and rocks .
Even with cover the front / rear suspension gets that **** through everything.
When buying used you see the difference. Lol

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a must on an open trailer. Hell, we even got covers for our snowbikes.

The Polaris cover I had for my Axys, ripped from the sharp edges on the front piggy back shocks. Need some leather in there or something.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
With the liquid pickle juice that they use these days, it is best to tarp the sled which is in a box, on a deck, or on an open trailer and hang dry in the shop when I get home. I also wash the tarp a few times a year. That crap just rots the material over time.

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the ride on cover for my new sled.

But I used my old cover through 3 sleds. It was new in 07. Had to have the stitching fixed several times in a couple spots(pretty sure I got about 50 bucks into that). But i wash it and waterproof it once a year. Rinse it off pretty regularly and it is still in great shape.

But I don't store my sleds outside. So I dont get the UV deterioration as fast. Can't imagine only getting a year out of a cover unless it's the really thin, "storage cover" instead of the "trailering cover".

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every tarp I have owned has lasted several seasons, with the odd repair job for a tear or rip due to me yanking on something too hard.

Agreed with the points above, you can definitely tell the difference between a covered sled vs non covered with buying used. I cringe watching the guys blow by us without tarps on decks or even with tarps but no salt shields on the 2 places... that’s probably even worse imo

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First trip I ever made to bc was on an open trailer with salt shield and a well cover new sled with under a 100 miles on it. The aluminum on the tunnel was never the same! That was last trip on an open trailer....bought an enclosed and never looked back. If I’m by myself I will haul it covered in the box but would never roll an open trailer again. 15-20k for a sled I’m sure most guys can come up with 5k for decent 2 place slightly used enclosed trailer, I personally would never buy a used sled that has seen salt it’s easy to tell with a quick peak inside the panels. Guess I’m a bit OCD that way!

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try to haul my sleds in here as much as possible. If they do have to go on the deck they get a cover every time. The new BRP ride on covers make it super easy. You put it on before you load so you're not pissing around up on the deck trying to get the covers on.

Attachments

• IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 423

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All these comments of guys that use covers but all we see down here is sleds with no covers lol where’s all the comments from the guys that are Rollin with no covers?

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen lots of sleds on open trailers caked with road grime this year. A cover definitely helps. Not sure how a cover only lasts a couple trips though. I’ve had the same 2 Skinz covers since 2008. Besides a bit faded, they are in great shape and tight. I guess that’s the difference of looking in your mirrors to see if the covers are flapping or not.

http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobileproducts/snowmobilecovers.html

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a deck used it on 2 trips with tarped sleds ocd could not handle it plus sucks driving 9 hours and not having a spare sled, sold the 32 enclosed trailer and bought a 20 enclosed trailer could not be happier. In vale few days ago 2 sleds on deck no tarp then 3 on car hauler behind truck with no front rock guard sleds were completely facked.Wouldnt even want to sit on those sleds the next morning. Side note the denali was squatted out and headlights pointing to the sky

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always toss the cover on driving from Alberta (basically the sask border) to BC. If the roads aren't bad though, I usually don't throw the cover on just going between the staging area and town.

I always shake my head at the new sleds uncovered on the Yellowhead. Especially on the flat deck with no grime guard.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a must on an open trailer. Hell, we even got covers for our snowbikes.

The Polaris cover I had for my Axys, ripped from the sharp edges on the front piggy back shocks. Need some leather in there or something.
Where did you get the snowbike covers from?

Top Bottom