Snowpulse Inflation System 1.0 (2009-2010) Cylinder Recall

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Chuck here from Mountain Sports Distribution (MSD). We distribute 509, Snowpulse, and Mammut in Western Canada. Just wanted to give Snowandmud members a heads up about a recall just announced by Snowpulse in regards to their Inflation 1.0 system cylinders (2008-2010). This recall does NOT affect Inflation 2.0 cylinders which are currently being sold by your local retailer in 2011-2012 Snowpulse packs (Highmark 22, Protech vest, Extrem 22 and other current models).

Models with the affected cylinder include the original Highmark and Highmark II
The cylinders affected are easily identified because they have a red sticker and look like cylinder_3000PSI-233x245.jpg the picture that I have inserted. More information regarding the recall can be found here: Precautionary recall of older Snowpulse cartridges | Snowpulse SA

The issue with the cylinders is that over time (1 year plus) the gauges can develop a leak leading to lower or complete loss of pressure. Snowpulse feels that it is important to have a gauge to monitor the pressure of the cylinder.

In our own experience the pressure depletion appears to happen over a significant amount of time (weeks or months) and our current turn around time for getting your cylinder replaced and back out to you is 10 days to 2 weeks (we hope this will be down to a week in the very near future). So if your cylinder is currently holding air and you have a trip planned I would recommend keeping your cylinder until it is a convenient time for you to send it back rather than go to the mountains without your pack. MSD/Snowpulse will pay for shipping both ways. Please contact us and we can e-mail you a return shipping label and set up your cylinder exchange. The cylinder must be empty when you send it back to us, a good reason to deploy and practice with your Snowpulse. Remember to send back the firing pin when you send back the cylinder.

Myself or staff will try and monitor this post but as it is a busy time of year for us so you will likely get better service by contacting us directly at info@mountainsportsdistribution.com or at 250-344-5060.

We really appreciate the support our customers have given us over the last several years and we will do our best to get your cylinders back to you in a timely and efficient manner. We apologize on behalf of Snowpulse for any inconvenience that this creates.

Also to note for customers of 2009-2010 packs there is a handle upgrade kit available to make your old handle like the new 2011 handles. The cost for the kit is $80 and is available through your local dealer or when you send you cylinder back to be repaired we can upgrade your handle for you at that time (provided we have stock).

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought mine 2 seasons ago it's a Highmark 30L, it was all good all year but over summer it leaked. I put a new cylinder on I will have to check to see if mine looks like the picture. Thanks for the heads up.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had this issue with mine (made a post about it too a while back)

Just take it to your dealer, they will install a new gauge for you and refill it free of charge.

But if you check your gauge before every ride "LIKE YOU SHOULD", you'd never run into any surprises ;)

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have noticed in the newer documentation that it says not to inflate the bag during the yearly test, and I am wondering if this is the case with the older bags as well?

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So,,,what does it cost to get the canister refilled?
I had this issue with mine (made a post about it too a while back)

Just take it to your dealer, they will install a new gauge for you and refill it free of charge.

But if you check your gauge before every ride "LIKE YOU SHOULD", you'd never run into any surprises ;)

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

To answer your questions:
1. Yes the handle upgrade kit can be installed by almost anyone.
2. The cost of refilling the cylinder is free if it is a warranty issue and otherwise $5-40 depending on if the dealer is servicing the cylinder or just filling it and where you have it filled. We usually only deal with the warranty part.
3. As for inflating the airbags; for the 2008-2010 models the airbag is good for 20 inflates before a one way valve located at the base of the airbag needs to be changed. This is not a difficult procedure but it does need to be sent back to us to do it. For current model (2011 +) using the 2.0 Inflation system you can blow it off as many times as you like and it does not damage anything. We have some that we have used for trade shows which have been blown off more than 50 times.

Again thanks for your support.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck, will get a hold of you after the sledding seson. Still have two gauges to send back to you too. Want them all at the same time?

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the documentation it says you guys need the firing pin back, is that just the small silver pin located at the very end of the cable that is threaded? It is maybe 2 mm in diameter and about 1.25 cm long with threads on one end. In the paperwork on the snowpulse sight it looks like they want to whole brass/gold colored threaded piece sent back, just need some clarification.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The firing pin is indeed the silver pin you are talking about. Can't fill the cyl without it.

zeke

Reaction score
I read about this last week. Checked mine and it was empty!
Ididnt check it before my last trip but I will from now on.
The only thing worse than getting caught in an avy.
Getting caught in an avy with an empty cylinder in your avy bag.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll have to get a new gauge. You wont be able to refil the cyl until then. Trying to will result in air leaking out of the center of the gauge...where the pressure relief valve is (the sticker with the 3 dots).

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Centratech in Red Deer did this update to my cylinder before xmas. Cost was $18 to refill and they changed out the gauge.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to thank Mountain Sports Distribution for getting mine back to me so quickly. Mine went empty and it was possible it was a slow leak. Tried to get the bottle filled and the guage wouldn't hold at all. Called MSD last Monday (leaving for Wyoming tomorrow) and they immediately e-mailed the Purolator shipping tag and I had it back in a week. Great service and it's much appreciated!

Reactions: zal

Throttle Jockey

Reaction score
Checked my bottle today and it was empty, when I removed the bottle from the bag the firing pin stayed on the pull cable. Is this normal, when the cylinder looses pressure the pin can just slide out?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checked my bottle today and it was empty, when I removed the bottle from the bag the firing pin stayed on the pull cable. Is this normal, when the cylinder looses pressure the pin can just slide out?

Ya,no pressure on the lever it sits in to hold it there any more.

Top Bottom