Snow?

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Joey make an attempt to make it to one of the many many sled shows that happen in either ab or bc......and find out when they are doing one of their free demonstrations....pick up some pamphlets, and info on it and at least educate your self a bit if nothing else. by that last post of yours you just proved with out a doubt how completely oblivious you are to all of the dangers involved in mountain riding. Go get the training man a stick and a shovel isn't going to help.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I know, but really anything is better then a tree limb and figuring it out on the fly at this point... No ?

absolutely correct Landon, not denying that, just throwing that disclaimer out there.

Joey have you watched that video that was posted for you yet?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
those are awareness seminars and are in no way designed to take the place of a full AST 1 course.

It seems a lot of people I talk to out on the hills or in the staging areas think that that is all that is required. I know it is a step in the right direction and the real serious people will get motivated to go take a full AST1 course but I don't understand the thinking of many who have this little seminar and "now I have the training, I can giver!" kind of attitude........

It is obvious to me that Joey hasn't ridden the big mountains, hasn't seen first hand the damage and the power of a real avalanche (and not just a small sluff), and has key board diarrhea. Joey, give it up as you are way out of your realm and comfort zone.

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Joey make an attempt to make it to one of the many many sled shows that happen in either ab or bc......and find out when they are doing one of their free demonstrations....pick up some pamphlets, and info on it and at least educate your self a bit if nothing else. by that last post of yours you just proved with out a doubt how completely oblivious you are to all of the dangers involved in mountain riding. Go get the training man a stick and a shovel isn't going to help.

hey look slayermike, someone with respect. someone who I care to listen to because he isn't being ignorant ;)

thanks pilo, I will get some research done and get as much info as I can on it.

Tyler G: I haven't had time yet, I have 3 major research papers to write, one is 33 pages :eek: but I will watch it asap. just in between classes right now in the library. I will try to watch it asap. how long is it? maybe I can watch it before I go to sleep tonight

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey look slayermike, someone with respect. someone who I care to listen to because he isn't being ignorant ;)

thanks pilo, I will get some research done and get as much info as I can on it.

Tyler G: I haven't had time yet, I have 3 major research papers to write, one is 33 pages :eek: but I will watch it asap. just in between classes right now in the library. I will try to watch it asap. how long is it? maybe I can watch it before I go to sleep tonight

Whatever man... I tried to tell you how it was and you just wanted to argue and try to sound cool. Your replies speek for themselves (proper collage english and grammer and all). Good luck with your stick...

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last post in this threat, promise.

to answer your question, Honestly: I would start by trying to find out where he was, grab a long tree branch to use as a probe to try and fun him, and start digging like crazy as I do always have a shovel on my gas rack. but you never really know how you react to something like that until you're in that situation. but thats the best I can think of, but again; not in that situation.
Now Joey, this is ignorant!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant believe this idiot is back.....................and the award for being the biggest tool goes to.................... That dumbass joey

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever man... I tried to tell you how it was and you just wanted to argue and try to sound cool. Your replies speek for themselves (proper collage english and grammer and all). Good luck with your stick...

*speak.

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

to answer your question, Honestly: I would start by trying to find out where he was, grab a long tree branch to use as a probe to try and fun him, and start digging like crazy as I do always have a shovel on my gas rack. but you never really know how you react to something like that until you're in that situation. but thats the best I can think of, but again; not in that situation.
:clap2:

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so how does mother nature decide where the rain finishes and the snow starts ???
its a really strait line, does mother nature have a good level eye or wot?

sorry, I was just try to sound more stupid than everyone else in this thread,

now about that video of stupid and his girlfriend,
she said she just started screaming at everyone, way to help the situation ...

and that slope was a super dodgy place to highmark ...
I cringed as soon as the vid started

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember that you can help to educate in these situations, or you can critizise. We've all made mistakes and I seriously doubt anyone on this thread has never ridden a hill with potential to slide, everyone just rode the trails until they were "avy masters" right? LMAO Anytime someone admits a mistake on this site, the soapbox crowd jumps down their throat like a bad rash. In over 20+ yrs on the mountain, I've taken countless noobs to the hills to help educate them and teach them to ride safe, never had an issue. It keeps the more experienced riders on their toes as the new folks are always asking questions and this helps refresh everything for a lot of us and helps avoid complacency. If you think someone is "beneath" you, well.......Jesse Jackson once said "Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up."

I see lots of these holier-than-thou types speeding to the staging area with 4 sleds tied on a 2 place passing people on corners, load up a 6 pack for their ride, hit the hill and go multiple riders on a slope at the same time, then race down the trail at the end of the day at mach chicken, pound 3-4 more beers then drive home. No one digs a snow pit, they just use the buzz words like "slope aspect" and "snow pack variability" as an excuse for laziness, cavalier attitudes, and inexperience with it. Most of them park directly at the bottom of a big hill in a run out zone and never once assess their surroundings properly. Somehow having an AST 1 course makes them safe though. Some are guilty of a few of these practices, others do them all. Most of them never practice on the hill what they preach on the internet. So many more things in the mountains that can kill you besides avy's.

I'll be the first to tell you I'm not a perfect saint by any stretch and therefore I try not to belittle someone for making a mistake or tell them to stay home. We all assume a level of risk every time we ride and its up to each person to determine what level of risk they are comfortable with and what situations you put yourself in.

I'd rather ride with a newb whos willing to learn any day than someone who thinks because they bought an avy pack and have been riding in the mountains for a few seasons that they know everything or are untouchable. Be safe out there folks.

Man I wish it would snow..................

well said best quote i have seen on this site been there done that i will pm you joey and share my story from last year spooky and lucky get all the training you can when you can and practice its a choice (one of the ones you make on the hiway called life) and something you need to follow up on

I'd rather ride with a newb whos willing to learn any day than someone who thinks because they bought an avy pack and have been riding in the mountains for a few seasons that they know everything or are untouchable. Be safe out there folks.

Man I wish it would snow..................

Last edited:

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Honestly...? Do me a favor and let us know what mountain you ever stumble onto. I rather sit in the truck then watch you die... I'll tell ya one thing, mother nature is a bitch and if your not aware she's there she will surprise you. Unless you take a course save us all the stick poking and stay on the bunny hill. Even IF you take a course screw a better head on your shoulders. The one you have should stay in school.

Top Bottom