Snow?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just keep your sled with you in GP and we'll grab Imdoo'n and Tex and go riding at Onion Lake near Sundre when it opens next spring. Take an avy course if you are riding in the mountains bud, it should be mandatory (even on the coast).

Now what makes ya think imdrooling and or me would take joey into onion lake ??

The one thing about onion lake is the snow has more temp flux and is way more slide prone than anywhere.

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell revmike that. He just posted in the mud onion lake post lol.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got too much on my plate today.

Have to get caught up on work from holidays.

dumbassracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this was last year at powder king ski resort.two assholes from grande praire were riding up and down the ski hill and one of the gromers took this pic as he plowed snow around the truck so that they could catch the two bone heads.they tried to talk to the guys but they just took off and kept riding.guys like this just about shut down the sledding in this area for good.i hope they got a beating when they went back to there truck.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually physically not having the money kind of is an excuse....if you were selling me a truck for $500 say and I came to you with nothing.....I wouldn't get the truck....you cant get something that you dont have the money for....just sayin....

U know what joey. If u go up the hill with out beacons , probes ect don't bother.

Cause if u get in a slide , and some one helps. Can't find u. What do ya think the person that couldn't find going to feel like ??

They may never ride again. And all because Ur a dumb cheap azz.

Use Ur peanut brain dude come on.

Joey,

I came across this today and it made me think of you and your father.... Have a watch, just listen to the guys voice when he figures out the the rider does not have his beacon.....

http://www.joydigger.com/2013/09/14/video-avalanche-a-life-saved/

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will watch it tonight when less students are using the wifi, keep freezing, but I will certainly watch it tonight :)

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its often much less of a slope then you think could be dangerous that can or will cut loose. We take out all levels of riders and some have little to no training, this can make for some difficult decision as well. Everyone wants to go to the places were the snow is best and the hills are good for climbing, but with no training you really are limited to stuff that is very flat. Riders are often shocked when we explain that a spot is prone or that the trail into to the back county can be at risk.

In the Elk valley we have a few access points that get covered almost every year. Most people like to try the sport before they commit the time and money to doing a avy. corse but once you are sure that you will be spending any time in the mountains in the winter you should get some training. You will look at terrain different after your training.

Also that is a great post with the slide and the recovery that turned out so well.... good shovels, probes, beacons, are great but you need to know how to use them to there potential.

Play safe.

Last edited:

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Joey,

I came across this today and it made me think of you and your father.... Have a watch, just listen to the guys voice when he figures out the the rider does not have his beacon.....

VIDEO: AVALANCHE: A LIFE SAVED | joydigger.com

Thank you for posting that, that's exactly what I'm talking about. That video brought tears to my eyes, I've been put in that same situation by complete strangers who were not properly equipped and they were extremely lucky my friends and I happened to be in the area. At the very least take the training or stay home so you don't have to put some one else through that... Worse case, some one has to dig out a body. NOBODY wants that!

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay, I will watch it tomorrow lol just got back from hockey, laid down in front of our net to block a shot and took it right to the stomach....nice big welt for the morning....lol i'm gonna go roll over and die haha

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember that you can help to educate in these situations, or you can critizise. We've all made mistakes and I seriously doubt anyone on this thread has never ridden a hill with potential to slide, everyone just rode the trails until they were "avy masters" right? LMAO Anytime someone admits a mistake on this site, the soapbox crowd jumps down their throat like a bad rash. In over 20+ yrs on the mountain, I've taken countless noobs to the hills to help educate them and teach them to ride safe, never had an issue. It keeps the more experienced riders on their toes as the new folks are always asking questions and this helps refresh everything for a lot of us and helps avoid complacency. If you think someone is "beneath" you, well.......Jesse Jackson once said "Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up."

I see lots of these holier-than-thou types speeding to the staging area with 4 sleds tied on a 2 place passing people on corners, load up a 6 pack for their ride, hit the hill and go multiple riders on a slope at the same time, then race down the trail at the end of the day at mach chicken, pound 3-4 more beers then drive home. No one digs a snow pit, they just use the buzz words like "slope aspect" and "snow pack variability" as an excuse for laziness, cavalier attitudes, and inexperience with it. Most of them park directly at the bottom of a big hill in a run out zone and never once assess their surroundings properly. Somehow having an AST 1 course makes them safe though. Some are guilty of a few of these practices, others do them all. Most of them never practice on the hill what they preach on the internet. So many more things in the mountains that can kill you besides avy's.

I'll be the first to tell you I'm not a perfect saint by any stretch and therefore I try not to belittle someone for making a mistake or tell them to stay home. We all assume a level of risk every time we ride and its up to each person to determine what level of risk they are comfortable with and what situations you put yourself in.

I'd rather ride with a newb whos willing to learn any day than someone who thinks because they bought an avy pack and have been riding in the mountains for a few seasons that they know everything or are untouchable. Be safe out there folks.

Man I wish it would snow..................

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was more worried about the no money exuse, every body has to start some where and riding with experienced people is a good start. If you can aford to fuel up your truck and sled you can aford a course and to at least rent some gear (proper gear means nothing if you don't know how to use it though). If you don't have the gear you should stay home! How can you put digging out your body on some stranger or a friend?... If you don't know what your doing you can put a lot of peoples lives at risk maybe that's fine for you but puting mine at risk and relying on strangers with proper training and gear is not cool. I've been that stranger, it sucks!!!

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Weather Network

Liked · 13 minutes ago

(Alex) Yes, it's true: Fort Nelson, BC saw #snow this morning. Officially there are still 5 days of summer left, but it seems #winteriscoming:

Photo via DriveBC

Yaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom