Sled Deck or Enclosed Trailer?

maxpower

Reaction score
I am trying to plan out next years purchase and its come down to a sled deck or an enclosed trailer. I like the sled deck because anybody can drive the truck (wife) and feel comfortable instead of towing a trailer, also less maintenance, insurance, etc. But having everything in a heated trailer is a huge plus, more secure, and more garage space. What do you guys think? and would you go 7' wide or 8.5' wide for the enclosed?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I would say go for the enclosed trailer. Sled decks work great, but you still have to go up and cover the sleds if you dont want them getting dirty. Plus the trailer is great for getting your gear put on while staying warm, and you can store your toys in it when they are not in use.
Thats my 2 cents

maxpower

Reaction score
Personally I would say go for the enclosed trailer. Sled decks work great, but you still have to go up and cover the sleds if you dont want them getting dirty. Plus the trailer is great for getting your gear put on while staying warm, and you can store your toys in it when they are not in use.
Thats my 2 cents

Have you pulled either a 7' or a 8.5' enclosed? Seems like the trend is sledders are going back to the narrower trailers for some reason.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no question 8.5 wide for trailer. you will be pissed with the 7. both have there good and bad points, i have both. deck you can turn around on narrow roads, better traction. have to cover sleds(has it's own problems), sleds are open to easy midnight shopping, loading/unloading can be dangerous and expensive.
trailers need big turnaround, costs more money, more fuel, room for extra sleds, tools, gas, and some security.
thieves cut locks, trailer hardware or just go through the sides. you will have new friends that love your trailer but don't want to pay for the trip. :rolleyes:
your choice but i would look at a sled deck.

friggin free loading friends.

maxpower

Reaction score
What length of enclosed trailer do you have? how many sleds can you fit for those free loading friends?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you pulled either a 7' or a 8.5' enclosed? Seems like the trend is sledders are going back to the narrower trailers for some reason.

My Dad and I just have a deck that we found for cheap, as trailers are expensive, but everyone we ride with have trailers, and they are all 8.5'. Anything smaller would just be a pain in the neck.
As imdoo'n mentioned, with the sled deck it is easier to turn around in tight spots (not like us sledders ever get into tight spots :rolleyes: ) and are cheaper on fuel too.
We have a sled deck and a little 2 place home made trailer. Works good for the mountain roads as there is lots of traction available.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my deck and for most of the people I ride with as they have a deck it works well.

The deck is good for early season and spring riding when you may have to drive up 20-30k to get to the snow.

I often thought about somehow adding a clam shell cover to the deck and having the best of both worlds! :d

I like the deck, I don't have a lot of storage space at my place so the deck is on the truck 7-8 months a year. When I want to ride its simply pull the sleds out of the garage and go. If I had a trailer I would have to store it elsewhere.

We have access to a 4 place as well so when a bunch of us want to go its easy.

Can't run a deck on a 1/2 ton, but no biggy if you already have a 3/4.

Decks don't get flats either.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trailer is the way to go we have a five place inclosed. if you fill the trailer five guys split fuel pretty cheap. 5 guys in a truck may be tight but always makes for a fun trip plus big trailer put all your other junk in it fuel tools barrel of race fuel for that one buddy that has to have it !! just my thoughts

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think it depends on your riding. As mentioned trailers are nice to store everything in and keep sleds clean. However in spring and early season when you have to drive to the snow, the fourplace is a pain in the a$$. Not always easy to turn around.

See lots of sleds on decks with no covers, they don't look that dirty. Been in a truck with a 29' enclosed behind that was being pushed down the hill coming out of silent pass as well. Scary as fawk.

If you are just taking two sleds, i would go with a deck. If you're leaning towards the trailer,get the wider of the two. Sled trailers are way nicer than car haulers but usually come with a larger price tag, but you get what you pay for. No fender wells inside is also nice.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What length of enclosed trailer do you have? how many sleds can you fit for those free loading friends?

27 ft, holds 4 you could wiggle 5 if you took the time to place sleds. to much of a pain if you get my drift. also the more sleds the more gear the more peeps = more weight= maybe overloaded.

5 sleds(3150 lbs) + 5 guys(1000 to 1200 lbs) + gear/gas /oil/tools/parts( 750lbs) + snow and ice buildup(1500lbs) + trailer (3500 lbs) = 1 big ass load.

Last edited:

evan3000

Reaction score
I started sledding with a deck, then bought a 8.5' x 20' trailer a few years back and last year I sold my deck because I just didn't use it. I like to be able to just pull my sled into the trailer after the day of riding and go, plus if you need to wrench it can be a decent work area when you get off the hill. You can get a shorter trailer around parking lots not to bad either.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started sledding with a deck, then bought a 8.5' x 20' trailer a few years back and last year I sold my deck because I just didn't use it. I like to be able to just pull my sled into the trailer after the day of riding and go, plus if you need to wrench it can be a decent work area when you get off the hill. You can get a shorter trailer around parking lots not to bad either.

i think the operative word is parking lot, try it on a forestry road Good Luck:rolleyes:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm set up with a 28' enclosed, and now seriously considering a deck too. For the spring rides. I can't imagine trying to back up, or down some of those hills pulling a trailer. But I doo love my enclosed.

Attachments

• 110101100300.jpg
    110101100300.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 468

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I'm set up with a 28' enclosed, and now seriously considering a deck too. For the spring rides. I can't imagine trying to back up, or down some of those hills pulling a trailer. But I doo love my enclosed.

So do your friends....But we pay for fuel,,,,,just saying,,,and the odd:beer:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend a deck....cause I don't sell enclosed trailers.:d:beer:

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both and they each have good and bad points about them. My enclosed is heated with lots of storage, great place to get dressed and have a beer after riding, sleds are unthawed and warm for the morning, more secure in a parking lot (in my mind anyways), but a pain in the ass to get around with and on windy days you might sh!t your pants every now and then. When we go as a family for a ride I will take the trailer. The sled deck has been also great so far. Easy to load and off load and if it's just a day trip with my wife we will load the deck.

Last edited by a moderator:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, if you have more than two sleds the enclosed is the ONLY way to go.....we have four sleds and they fit nicely in our 27". We've had up to 5 in ours too. (4 M-series and one 340 lol) A deck is nice too, for quick trips and places that are hard to get a big trailer into. Having both would be nice, for the days when only my hubby and I go.
Our enclosed has a furnace so it's another bonus, along with not having to cover the sleds, they are always nice and clean. Getting dressed in a nice warm trailer before heading out is awesome too....
Having some extra parts and tools makes it easy to keep stored in the enclosed, too.
The trailer hauls nice behind our 1500 HD, but it definitely is hard on gas pulling it. My hubby installed the stabilizer bars on it like our 27" travel trailer, so it handles much better than before we had them also.
LOVE the enclosed, but it is nice to have the option to use a deck too.

Attachments

• DSC05446.jpg
    DSC05446.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC05453.jpg
    DSC05453.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 334

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree on all the points mentioned above. but my vote is for enclosed based on storage, heat, security, cleanliness. If your comfortable towing a trailer and its in your budget, jump on it. last week sledding my buddy with his sled deck used my trailer to get dressed and undressed, he was pretty happy to do so out of the elements. im just saying.
my trailer is no where near what i want it to be as a sled trailer, but in time as the budget gets there, ill do it.

maxpower

Reaction score
thanks for all the posts guys & gals. I'm going to go with the enclosed for next sledding season, and then the sled deck the year after.

Top Bottom