Skidoo xm with 3 inch track

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not every nub just every second one on the outside if its the new style track, this being because if you have original style avids that drive on both sides of the windows every second nub will run into the driver because the nub will be right beside the window in the track so you'll just need to cut all the nubs beside the windows out for the original avids if not using the cat style ones. Hope that explains it

Wow good to know! That will also take away clearance on top!

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's shouldn't even of fit in that case? I know mine wouldn't till I cut them off. Also If I was able to get it on there with those nubs in tact it woulda been a hell of a ruckus goin on tryin to ride it like that. There shoulda been no way a 3" would fit if it's goin in an xm/xp with normal avids and no nub trimming.

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh.......maybe thats why the 3" I stuck in mine didnt work?? I put one in with 7 tooth avids and it was WAY too tight. Took it off and sold it. Just assumed I had all the right stuff because I bought everything from Robbie at avid.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh.......maybe thats why the 3" I stuck in mine didnt work?? I put one in with 7 tooth avids and it was WAY too tight. Took it off and sold it. Just assumed I had all the right stuff because I bought everything from Robbie at avid.

Deaner i installed that track and driver you sold in an XM and its got about 650km no issue at all

Thegeneral

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats weird? It was so tight in mine it felt the the ebrake was on. But, ive heard that they take a bit of time to break in? Thats great that everything worked out. How do you find the new style of three inch works compared to yours?

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if your track had the tiny nubs beside the windows instead of the large ones in between, that's the issue, because nothing rides beside the windows on cat style tracks so they put more nubs and made them tiny to clear cats diamond drive while still having something to ride against to keep the track square with the skid.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not every nub just every second one on the outside if its the new style track, this being because if you have original style avids that drive on both sides of the windows every second nub will run into the driver because the nub will be right beside the window in the track so you'll just need to cut all the nubs beside the windows out for the original avids if not using the cat style ones. Hope that explains it

ahh this makes sense and i didnt even notice it. I got mine in with the origonal style avid drivers and the new style 3" track. It works fine when there is load on it, but as soon as you let off it would hum like a mofo. Couldnt figure it out for the life of me. Then on the truck i seen the smaller outside nubs, every second one seemed mushed and a very slight black mark on the driver.

now to cut them off without removing the track...

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly its right there, When I ride Dirks sled it feels very strong and other than the color I couldnt tell which one I was on lol.

Thats weird? It was so tight in mine it felt the the ebrake was on. But, ive heard that they take a bit of time to break in? Thats great that everything worked out. How do you find the new style of three inch works compared to yours?

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And that's the old camo vs the new with 14" wide lugs? That's kinda disappointing if the old real 16 wide doesn't actually work better then that new one. I woulda grabbed up a new one and saved the weight if it works the same. Still might and sell my brand new good style one..

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I paid $1850 for my old style and 7 tooth Avids this November and Deaner's take off was the new style and yes they are close enough that I don't think you could really tell them apart as far as performance. W'ell be in Valemount together again this wknd so I will do some comparison on the same hill with both sleds.
I think the extra rotating mass vs the lower amount of lugs cancel each other out. Just my opinion but most people keep me around for my ski pulling abilities not my engineering prowess lol

And that's the old camo vs the new with 14" wide lugs? That's kinda disappointing if the old real 16 wide doesn't actually work better then that new one. I woulda grabbed up a new one and saved the weight if it works the same. Still might and sell my brand new good style one..

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

my opinion... they work the same in the pow... when it comes to hard pack snow or sring snow the lugs will be too soft and fold giving the advantage of grip to the old style. But really when conditions are like this you dont need alot of power to go anywhere. But the new one will just start perma-folding paddles earlier in its lifespan. I think it has been talked about earlier that the 156 and 174 tracks are using the old style still.

Last edited:

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some dam good points fellas! I think I'm gonna throw mine on tomorro! General did you do any rivet massaging near the front of the cooler like some say to do or just threw it in with the new 7 tooth?

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing, just put it on and fuel it up! its worked ok for the 5 in our group.

General did you do any rivet massaging near the front of the cooler like some say to do or just threw it in with the new 7 tooth?[/QUOTE]

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She's in and rockin. There is one problem with the 3" tho. It rips your arms out! I can't believe how hard it hooks up! I can already tell ill be pleased with it in the hills! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361389974.482040.jpg

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pro is also 15 wide.
Well my experience was different with the 3" I had. 3" is heavier and using the 7t the attack angle increases, lots of ski lift and there for huge trench behind you. my sled worked awsome with the 3" but after all the work I put into it getting it clutched right because stock clutching definitely does not work! getting the suspension setup to keep the front end down. I had to take it off for warranty, and put it back to stock.
Is there extra traction? Yep there is a huge difference, when yah get the sled to maintain rpm and track speed.
Is the 7t driver a good idea, no. Geared way too low for marginal snow condition climbs. Is doos 2.5 a good track? Hell yes. Is the 3" worth the money?? If yah don't have to send it out for warranty, maybe to the right person, and if there was 3ft of pow to play in all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the only way too do a 3" properly is with a drop and roll $$$ and 8 tooth avids. 7 tooth you will get rubbing and the new 3" track sucks. Too bad they still dont make the old one for the 163 guys. For you guys jumping on the 3" track bandwagon they suck in anything but deep powder, in the spring on the hardpack those big paddles bend over and your done(going to be even worse for the guys with the new 3" track),the 2.5" guys will be doing a lot better.

Last edited:

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only way too do a 3" properly is with a drop and roll $$$ and 8 tooth avids. 7 tooth you will get rubbing and the new 3" track sucks. Too bad they still dont make the old one for the 163 guys. For you guys jumping on the 3" track bandwagon they suck in anything but deep powder, in the spring on the hardpack those big paddles bend over and your done(going to be even worse for the guys with the new 3" track),the 2.5" guys will be doing a lot better.

Gauntlet dropped frank. Name the time and place lol

Thegeneral

Top Bottom