Ski Doo XP strength question

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many folks had structural failures with the XP's last season. BRP claims they made them stronger along with lighter. I have heard reports of sleds literally buckling tunnels. I would like to know what structural issues others have had if any and whether or not you felt the strength of the sled is poor and not as BRP claims to be stronger.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the XP`s are stronger than the Rev`s. You can ask Twinturbo about my run in with a tree...the sled held up good, I only bent an A arm. It wasn`t bent enough that I couldn`t ride it and I rode with it the rest of the season without any problems.

snowzombie

Reaction score
Personally not a Doo fan but rode with five of them last year and they seemed to stand up quite well. One has over 5000km and as far as the structure, which is what you asked, no real problems. A few other minor issues,clutch and belt problems and side panels seemed to not stand up to much.

Throttle-Junkie

Reaction score
Rode one for a good part of the season last year, love the sled but the tunnel/running boards are weak.. They bend and flex easy i found... Good set of tunnel stiffeners/supports is a good idea, but dont suggest the BRP ones the rivets they send are to long and with the flex of the tunnel the rivets rip into the track also the BRP ones seem like the same grade material as the tunnel not the strongest in my eyes.. But again i dont own the machine just rode it lots and this is what i found from it..

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride mine pretty hard, runningboards are still straight. few of my friends have rode theirs into the trees with minimal damage, a bent A-arm has been the worst so far. don't think we'll ever see them again as durable as the ol' ZX chassis, price ya pay for the best hp/weight ratio on the mountain.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I guess if your looking for a "tank" then you build a heavy weight and very strong machine, if your looking for light weight there has to be some risk.
Don't matter what sled you ride, hitting trees and rocks is bound to do some damage...the laws of physics still exist...lol...
I ride mine pretty hard, runningboards are still straight. few of my friends have rode theirs into the trees with minimal damage, a bent A-arm has been the worst so far. don't think we'll ever see them again as durable as the ol' ZX chassis, price ya pay for the best hp/weight ratio on the mountain.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had an 02 ZX and pounded it hard and still straight after 9000k. Have an 06 Rev and I have bent it a couple of times....A arms and bulkhead twice. XP's are lighter but have had less bulkhead failures from what I hear...I would say the XP is tougher than the Rev. If you want to hit trees and rocks buy a Cat...you won't feel as bad when you wreck it:biglaugh:

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess if your looking for a "tank" then you build a heavy weight and very strong machine, if your looking for light weight there has to be some risk.
Don't matter what sled you ride, hitting trees and rocks is bound to do some damage...the laws of physics still exist...lol...

You hit the nail on the head SB. The fact is,if you want a lightweight sled,you are going to give up some strength. Im not saying the xp is without faults,but if your launching it over approaches or racing up and down the pounded ungroomed mountain trail to the alpine its going to bend.Just my 2 cents.:d

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont believe the bs!

Just looking for real life feedback on the XP chassis. I am looking for responses from real life experiences so I can better understand the XP chassis. I for one would rather own a sled that will take what I give it without having to hold back for fear of breaking something. My gut feeling is that the XP chassis as light as it is has some unacceptable (by me) weaknesses. All sleds have some. Some manufacturers in an attempt to sell more products will go to great lengths (even reducing design safety margins to the point of little or no safety factor) to have the fastest/best performing sled going. I will not compromise strength and reliability for lightweight that may be compromising durability. If the XP chassis proves to be durable...great. The more feedback I recieve the better. I am a Polaris owner who owns Polarises because of the reliability/durability factor. I am interested in improved technology from any manufactuer and would like to see Polaris lighten up their sleds like DOO. I think Polaris is shooting for top quality (reliability, durability, performance....etc.) without compromising. I applaud that. It's what I want in a sled. My hope is that this is what other manufacturers want also (without compromising) Has Doo compromised in the durability dept? Only the owners can tell me that. So....please tell me if you will (without bias please). :)

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have about 5 or 6 buddies that have 08 xp and they have all had issues. they climb like a mo fo but tons of issues. one bent the hell out of his tunnel just from minor jumping and playing around... many of them have the running boards bent... one broke his driveshaft in the mountains... chopper ride out for it... not cheap.... and then there is the belt issue that is apparently fixed now... just seems like a lot of headaches for a brand spankin new sled... seems like all the breaks come at the worst possible timing to.. in the middle of a climb and the belt blows to bits... not fun, of course belts blow on all sleds... but when a guy has to bring 4 belts for a weekend in the mountains to be sure he has enough to ride everyday... thats what i call a piece of S#!$

but then again... im a cat guy... the sled could be the best sled in all categories and i'd still say the same thing lol... but those are the facts that i've actually seen happen.

u want a good sled... by a cat and boost it... it will live forever and all u'll have to do is fill up the tank and top off the oil.

Auzz

tollen77

Reaction score
I've got an '08 146" XP that I beat the $h!t out of last year and didn't have a problem - other than some seriously tree scratched side panels and one broken belt. Once I changed to the 377 I had no belt problems whatsoever.

I rolled this thing seriously over half a dozen times on climbs and nothing cracked, bent or broken. I've even jumped the thing and landed so hard I bruised a lung - first day I rode it before I knew the balance point - WHOOPS!!!

Mine's bullet proof. Period.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an '08 146" XP that I beat the $h!t out of last year and didn't have a problem - other than some seriously tree scratched side panels and one broken belt. Once I changed to the 377 I had no belt problems whatsoever.

I rolled this thing seriously over half a dozen times on climbs and nothing cracked, bent or broken. I've even jumped the thing and landed so hard I bruised a lung - first day I rode it before I knew the balance point - WHOOPS!!!

You may not want to put all that in the For Sale ad.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Thanks for the positive feedback, it's too easy to focus on all the failures adn forget about all the happy customers.

PJtheMunchkin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 Summit 154. The rails are bent a little, but what do you expect when a 220 pound man is standing on them all of the time. I rode mine pretty hard and had some pretty hard landings and it held up great. I never blew a belt, although the original belt wore down quicker. The dealer gave me two of the 377 belts and I am still on the first one. My driveshaft is still in one piece, but I am getting the new one installed in two days. All in all, I was very impressed and very happy.

Chubbydog

Reaction score
99% of the people complaining about them don't own one. I guarentee there stronger than the Revs. Mine ghost rode into a tree, and took 1/4" out of the tree, and all it did was bend the a-arm slightly. Still rode it the rest of the year. My buddy slammed into a 6" fence post, and stopped him cold. He went flying over the handlebars, and all it did was bend the a-arm. He rode the rest of the weekend, and replaced it the next week. We had 3 in our group with over 3500 miles combined, and that was the only real problems. Minus the handwarmers. I put the sno elimanators on mine to strengthen the running boards.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:twocents:I think most parts of the sled are stronger, but the quality of the build may not be up to par on some sleds. My buddy bought 2 163" last yr, and on one of them he bent the rear of the tunnel due to the placement of the gas tank. The bolts holding the square tubing came off and the tunnel loss most of its strength, which caused the bend. This was fortunately covered from BRP. Overall the XP is probably the weakest sled out there, but this is what happens when you have the lightest sled in the market.:twocents:

KH2110

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:twocents:I think most parts of the sled are stronger, but the quality of the build may not be up to par on some sleds. My buddy bought 2 163" last yr, and on one of them he bent the rear of the tunnel due to the placement of the gas tank. The bolts holding the square tubing came off and the tunnel loss most of its strength, which caused the bend. This was fortunately covered from BRP. Overall the XP is probably the weakest sled out there, but this is what happens when you have the lightest sled in the market.:twocents:

that's funny coming from someone that doesn't own one......have you seen the quality issues coming out of cat and polaris? can you say opportunity workshop quality? the dragon I rode had the hood so jacked to one side.....how does that get shipped?

when you say the xp is the weakest sled out there.......Your basing this on what?....... what you heard people say on a forum?.... try owning one and don't believe everything you read:beer::d

Top Bottom