Size of Backpack - Recommendations ...

Dakine879

Reaction score
Hello All,

Planning to take my first visit to mountain later this year and need a new backpack.

Please give recommendations of size (in Litres) for probe,shovel,etc you need for the day.

Thanks

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Ture North Adventure Gear Storm Pack.
I don't know the size, but it is big, I keep my probes, a shovel, first aid kit, snacks, bottle of water/power-aid, 3 extra gloves, extra nose cone, extra balaclava, Flash light, hand warmers. it has extra water proof pouches in it. And I can fit my coat liner in it when I get too warm.

That being said. It's heavy and you feel that weight on your back. But I have no room for a tunnel bag and I want to keep that extra gear with me.

Dakine879

Reaction score
Ya that sucker is 42 liters that is big! That gives me a good idea though i can probably get by with a 30 liter

THanks!

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Highmark packs are 18L, and I think that is a good size for the essential gear. I carry all my avy stuff, some emergency gear, a couple tools, food, water, spare gloves and goggles in there. I carry extra layers in my tunnel bag.

Reactions: RXN

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
The one I've got is a 32 litre but I've got no tunnel bag so that's holding my shovel, probe, water, extra layers, tools, food, etc. I personally wouldn't want to go any smaller unless you've got the extra storage on the sled. I started off with a smaller pack and it was nearly bursting at the seams by the time I got it stocked.

Reactions: RXN

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30 liter ABS for me and I have room to spair. But the truth is I wouldn't want a smaller bag. My wife's pack is 25 litres I think and it holds a lot if you plan it out.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 30l and wish it was smaller. I only put essential avy gear and my lunch in it. Everything else goes on my sled.

I use to fill it up but it was so heavy by the end of the day it was annoying.

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a BCA float 20 and find it perfect. Not too heavy but i don't pack it too crazy as i have a powder keg on the tunnel

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I had the ABS 15l and found it too small because one needs a shovel and probe in there. The 15l (for snowmobilers) is a better choice. I now use the ABS 18l and that is just right. Overnight essentials, water, shovel, probe, first aide kit, spare gloves, emergency food (sardines, oysters, etc.), spare goggles, room for an extra layer, and other small essentials.

On the LinQ, there is a second shovel, tow rope, and other essentials, and in the storage compartments on the sled are the tools I would require for various break downs. I rivet my saw on the tunnel so it is readily accessible. It is heavy but that is the way it is. I want to be comfortable when chit happens (mechanical break downs, medical emergencies, over nighter, etc.....

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my opinion is for your essentials for safety{probe,shovel etc}first aid etc you need a 20l,that will hold your essentials for avi and overnight stay if it came to that

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my pack is 22 L and its a bit small sometimes.around 30 l would be perfect i would think
Really depends on where your Avy gear goes in the bag. I had the Snowpulse Life Bag (30L), and the shovel and probe went inside the bag. I found it took up a lot of space. Plus with a bigger bag, you will fill it up, which puts all that weight on your back. Now I have the Snowpulse Highmark Vest (18L) and the shovel and probe on on the outside of the bag, leaving more room inside for essentials. Well thought out pockets in the bag make everything more organized, I feel I can actually get more in the bag. The vest helps to carry the weight better, so I don't feel the weight of the bag as much.

DPike

Reaction score
Buy the lightest and smallest you possibly can! Take your essentials with when you go shopping and see how they fit in each of the bags and then compare net weight of each.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really depends on where your Avy gear goes in the bag. I had the Snowpulse Life Bag (30L), and the shovel and probe went inside the bag. I found it took up a lot of space. Plus with a bigger bag, you will fill it up, which puts all that weight on your back. Now I have the Snowpulse Highmark Vest (18L) and the shovel and probe on on the outside of the bag, leaving more room inside for essentials. Well thought out pockets in the bag make everything more organized, I feel I can actually get more in the bag. The vest helps to carry the weight better, so I don't feel the weight of the bag as much.

all my gear goes in my pack and its super tight when i have avi gear (shovel probe) extra under layer, gloves ,goggles ,poles for camera mount.My hot pot doesn't fit most of the time.a couple of water bottles (two smaller sized bottles )two go pro's with there cases on them.I get so wet underneath my gear if its colder than -5 i like to be able to change into all new under layers for the ride out.Those are the days i would like a 30 L pack.It takes time and experience for every individual to refine what they bring with to be comfortable up on the hill.I would consider a SP Vest but they are way to expensive for my budget.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could get away with a 30l if I was just sledding but need a 40l when ski touring for the extras like skins and clothes.

Really like the cfr handle bar bag I just got. Carrys my camera, go pro, rhino, extra googles, gloves, and other bits I carry and need quick access to.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm selling my BCA Float 32, bought it off a buddy in Dec '13 (he bought it new 2 years ago) but haven't been out once this year. Bag is like new still. $500

Attachments

• Float 32-1.jpg
    Float 32-1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom