Should I go 174?....

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2009 M8 162. Its the non H.O so im only running about 140 horse. I want to make my sled go better and am leaning towards a 174 3inch. Will this be an awesome improvement? Or would I be happier buying a newer sled? I have ridden xm's and pro's. Just not sure if a new sled is in the cards this year. What are your thoughts?

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO you would want more power for that track. I ran a 3" 162 on my piped/ported m1000 and it rocked with that combo. I put the same track on my 800 proclimb and I'm disappointed with it on the 800. Doing a 925 to help it out a bit

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a brand new Rkt 925 kit on kijiji right now for a non-ho. Would be a good alternative I think

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You got the stock track still? If you do change it out to a Camo x 2.5 you will notice a big difference. And if you can find the old style Camo x with the notches on the top of the lugs. I did that to the wife's m7 and it wasn't even the same machine! Or if your a cheap person like myself turn your old track around backwards and it hooks up like crazy!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am seeing tons of used M-series turbo kits for really cheap, that might be another option and would definitely turn that big boy track.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also, bolt on an SLP single pipe set for about 600 bucks and it'll get you up to 159HP with no fuel controller required. I'd stick with a 162 extreme on that sled though, unless your going straight up all the time. A 174 actually changes the handling characteristics quite a bit. My daughters M7 is turning a 162 2.5 extreme with no problems so your M8 will work awesome with it.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also, bolt on an SLP single pipe set for about 600 bucks and it'll get you up to 159HP with no fuel controller required. I'd stick with a 162 extreme on that sled though, unless your going straight up all the time. A 174 actually changes the handling characteristics quite a bit. My daughters M7 is turning a 162 2.5 extreme with no problems so your M8 will work awesome with it.

Stock he's saying its 140hp,, put on a different pipe and it gains 19hp? yea not likely....

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have the opportunity, get some seat time on a 174 before you pull the trigger. as said it changes the machine handeling big time. I find my 174 washes out big time compared to 163. both sleds have camo extreme 2 1/2".

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I used to run an 09 M8 162 with the RKT head, full SLP exhaust with a BD box and i ended up putting stock exhaust back on. It worked way better. If you can upgrade to a proclimb, they do everything better than an M chassis.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy a new sled and save the greif of setting up a sled when you should be brapping ...
174 is just for chute climbing, and if you don't have 200hp its a waste of time and money.
I've riden a 174, it don't like turning or playing, it just wants to climb to the moon.

If I was to buy a XM, cat or polaris I'd buy a 154/155 track, I'd like to think my opinion is valid on this subject due to how many sleds I rode last season.
but wot-ev ...

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I have been running a 174 with the massive 3' lug for 3 seasons now and I will tell you that it is not only a climber but an all around agile machine that I tree ride with and also do crazy sidehills and technical riding with as well. I will put my sled anywhere that a 162 will go and with less effort usually. The track size does not limit what I can do and when I do want to climb it pulls like a freight train, I am usually playing in the same areas as the 800's with turbo's but I am also pushing close to 200 horse with some great clutching and my sled is pretty well dialed in. Yes the track does push my front end around in the hard packed snow and spring riding isnt the most fun I will agree but I only ride in the fluff so I don't care that it does that for 10% of the time it is worth it. My sled will be up for sale this year as it is time for me to build something different and I enjoy that as much as the riding, it is one of my best set up sleds that I have owned that is for sure. My new one will have a 174 on it again without a doubt, if there was a 184 available I would own one!!!

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Catman let me know some details on your sled, kms? mods? price?

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I know this is not the classifieds but I will keep it short. 09 snow pro 174 3" track with ice age rails,billet wheels, exit adjustable coil over rear shock. I have m8 and m1000 gearing for the diamond drive with the bearing upgrade and I service it every season. Slp complete pipe combo with a rkt head and the cylinders are ported, v force reeds, boon docker box, egt gauge, air box mod and some secret clutching. I think there is now 2800 Km's on it and only 1800 on the pistons as I changed them when I bought the sled which I did cuz I had it apart. Totally pull the rope and go reliable machine which gets close to 50 mph track speed and has been well maintained so if you wanna look at it let me know. I haven't found my new machine yet so I am not in any panic and will ride it this year if it doesn't sell for the fantastic price of $7000.00. Any takers?

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also ride a lot of differnt sleds every year, mostly clints sleds when they are trying mine out and I just like jumping from sled to sled. For me i find a 162 track is every bit as nimble as a 153. The 162 gives a small advantage in the deeper stuff. the few 174s ive been on were set up for climbing. I'm sure if you set a 174 up right it would handle nicely in the trees as well.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New sled. Ride this one until you have the $ saved up. Night and day difference and all around better performing with much less fatigue at the end of the day.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 155 two years ago I like hitting jumps and doing some sweet drops. Went to a 174 last year was extremely hard to handle through the air. I'm trying a 163 this season. The 174 sure can hold a side hill tho. I guess it depends on what your riding style is.

Sent from my iPhone using

Top Bottom