Sherwood Park News Snowmoblie Complaint

c3burn

Reaction score
Did anyone read this letter to the editor in the Strathcona County News Nov 16 Issue. One of the residents is not too happy about the meeting at Ministik. She didn't know about it and was complaining about the sledding in the area.

Sleds causing ruckus

Deborah and John Jasinoski
Sherwood Park
Friday November 16, 2007

This is our response to the article concerning support for a snowmobile corridor between Cooking Lake and Ministik Bird Sanctuary on Range Road 214. Firstly, as residents along Range Road 214, we had not been notified about this meeting, which was held at the Ministik School about this issue. We suppose that only the supporters of this proposal were informed.
We are totally against the trail idea as we have resided here for over thirteen years and have been annoyed each and every winter with the constant roar of these machines at all hours of the day and night. As examples, there have been trespassing onto private properties and illegal trails made into the reserve land in the subdivisions. A person does not dare go for a walk along the Range Road for fear of being run over by the fast moving entourage of snowmobiles travelling at high speeds along the roadside and in the ditches. The average speed of these drivers is well over 80 km/h – faster than the vehicle traffic speed. I had to chuckle when I read that this same bunch recommends a 50 km/h speed limit – like this would be obeyed! We have yet to observe any courtesy shown by slowing down when these drivers approach pedestrians or cars, or by stopping at driveways and intersections to check. Monday mornings’ daylight usually shows the fast food wrappers and empty beer cans scattered along the ditches from the weekend of joy riders.

Cathy Olesen, Glen Lawrence and Bob Priebe of engineering and environmental planning: the county should look at the environmental damage being inflicted by these snowmobiles. There should be a proposal to stop this damage and put this activity into the industrial areas that no longer have an environment worthy of preserving. There are large areas in the Industrial Heartland that could easily accommodate a snowmobile park area and trails. Stop pushing these annoying snowmobiles and their drivers onto rural residents, agricultural land a nd the lakes and wetlands worthy of preserving. Let snowmobilers take out their aggression in their own park away from everyone else and away from natural areas.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason sledders speed through there is because they don`t want to get caught. If there was legal access a person wouldn`t have to worry about someone getting the plate number and phoning the police.

MtnCrazy

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but after riding in the mountains...why would you want to ride in the suburbs or acreage communities? I undertand not everyone can get out to the mountains, if that's the case. Ride them in area's that have already been designated for riding.:rant:

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but after riding in the mountains...why would you want to ride in the suburbs or acreage communities? I undertand not everyone can get out to the mountains, if that's the case. Ride them in area's that have already been designated for riding.:rant:
The areas for riding in the county have a 3Km gap between the two. People with the short tracks like to ride the lake and Ministick. So instead of loading up and trailering it for three kms they take the chance and ride the shortest way between the two areas. So they speed to not get caught. I have a mountain sled now and don`t enjoy riding the flats anymore, but if I was to take my kid for a ride I would hit one of the areas( and no I`m not saying I speed with my kid or take chances with him on the back.)

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I agree with 4extreme about riding locally, our first sleds were lake riders, the mountains came later. Our kids rode locally for years and years until they were old enough to head to the mountains. We have a buddy that lives 2 km from cooking lake and we couldn't legally ride to the play area. Kind of a let down.
The areas for riding in the county have a 3Km gap between the two. People with the short tracks like to ride the lake and Ministick. So instead of loading up and trailering it for three kms they take the chance and ride the shortest way between the two areas. So they speed to not get caught. I have a mountain sled now and don`t enjoy riding the flats anymore, but if I was to take my kid for a ride I would hit one of the areas( and no I`m not saying I speed with my kid or take chances with him on the back.)

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
The reason sledders speed through there is because they don`t want to get caught. If there was legal access a person wouldn`t have to worry about someone getting the plate number and phoning the police.

That sums it up if there was a trail it would prolly keep the random sledding away for your house

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone PM me the info on how to contact this newspaper. Can't find it online. Going to write a letter of my own. Can't take this anymore.

Media seems to perpetuate this type of news as they know it gets a big reaction. Whish just once they would look at the other side of it.

Rnehring

Reaction score
It is sad that these two folks see 1 or 2 snowmobilers speeding or being a jackass and automatically label the whole group of us as non-law-abiding drunks who only ride at night in illegal areas. The responsible ones pack out what you pack in, regardless of the trash. These people need something better to gripe about.:nono:

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not see the original article in the News? How balanced was it?

I would be more than happy to write a letter to the paper or to get a story in it as an "explanation piece". A buddy of mine used to publish the paper in the Park. If needed I could talk to give about getting a piece in there?

Glenn - you have been the one behind this what do you think?

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't agree with you more ZRrrr on the Media comment they always go running with mike in hand to the anti sledder or atver or the local environmentalist but you never never hear the other side of the story!! So that means that it has to be upto the responsible sledder to get their side of the story out either through letters to the editor of your local paper or writing local government officals. Sadly this does not happen enough it is the old saying 20% of the people doing 80% of the work:sadbanana:

Billy Boy:cool:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I did not see the original article in the News? How balanced was it?

I would be more than happy to write a letter to the paper or to get a story in it as an "explanation piece". A buddy of mine used to publish the paper in the Park. If needed I could talk to give about getting a piece in there?

Glenn - you have been the one behind this what do you think?

<----letter

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone PM me the info on how to contact this newspaper. Can't find it online. Going to write a letter of my own. Can't take this anymore.

Media seems to perpetuate this type of news as they know it gets a big reaction. Whish just once they would look at the other side of it.

Post back when you get the letter sent in, it would be great to compare the two.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to read it through a couple times to cool my jets. Hope the message is clear and positive. I will phone the editor to follow up and see what they have to say, why they keep promoting the untruths. I tried to attach the letter to this post, but the sytem won't let me. So I have potsted it as text.

Here is my letter:

November 21, 2007

In reply to: "Sleds causing ruckus", November 16, 2007

Sherwood Park * Strathcona County News
168 Kaska Road
Sherwood Park, Alberta
T8A 4G7

To the editor:
Thank you Deborah and John Jasinoski for your letter “Sleds causing ruckus” from November 16th, 2007. It dictated quite clearly the mistruths and misconceptions “some” of the public and media has towards snowmobilers. Contrary to your beliefs there is a silent majority of snowmobilers that join local clubs, provincial associations, obey rules, stay on designated trails, work with landowners and respect the rights of all other outdoor enthusiasts. Having lived in Strathcona County for 13 years Deborah and John know that snowmobiles, horses, ATV’s and farm machinery are all part of the rural lifestyle and have been for many, many years. Before John and Deborah group all snowmobilers together as aggressive, reckless and disrespectful I would suggest they spend a day riding with a local club. Meet the families, mature and young couples, farmers, ranchers, and long time residents of Stratchcona County, hear their side of the story. See and hear what the responsible majority is really about. I know Deborah, John and anyone else with concerns would be pleasantly surprised. Majority of riders do not litter the very trails, roads, ditches, fields or reserves they ride on. Majority of riders save the beers for after a days ride, in the safety of their own homes. Majority of riders are respectful of quiet zones, quiet times, slow areas and other users of the same recreational spaces. We the majority police our own sport and do a darn good job of it! There will always be those that are reckless and break laws no matter the activity. Did Deborah and John ever consider that the fast food wrappers and beer cans were coming from neighbors, friends of neighbors and people out for a drive in the country?
Instead of criticizing responsible snowmobilers I think Deborah, John and the County should look at the alternative and support a large, integrated trail system for outdoor recreational sports. Think about it…. a trail system means riding in designated, signed, patrolled areas. That means less irresponsible riding on and in areas where riders should not be. Larger the trail system and easier the access, the less there will be random, illegal, and reckless riding. It would be a lot easier for the police to target the very few who have created this negative public image. Believe me, us responsible riders would like nothing more than to see the irresponsible and disrespectful riders removed from the recreational activities we love so much. This goes way beyond snowmobiling. If Deborah, John and the County were open minded and willing, any club would take the time to educate them. Out of all the motorized recreational activities, there is countless, published, scientific evidence to support that snowmobiles have the lowest environmental impact. Less physical impact on the ground and plant life than mountain bikes in the summer. Fewer emissions than an automobile! Snowmobile manufacturers are bound by the most stringent environmental laws governing emissions. Less impact on wildlife than most would think. A study conducted in Yellowstone National Park has shown that wildlife is not stressed by the sound of an approaching snowmobile. On the contrary, the study showed the animals were aware early of an approaching snowmobile and could move off to safety comfortably. These animals were far more stressed by a human approaching on foot.
There is too much misinformation and mistruths around snowmobiling. Talk to a club or club member, go for a ride, offer suggestions and support a designated trail system. Provinces like Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan, BC and now even Newfoundland have all realized the benefits to organized, municipally and provincially supported snowmobile trails. Small communities enjoy economic benefits from the millions spent on snowmobiling each winter. Entire new industries built around the sport. Designated, controlled and policed riding areas prevent the very issues Deborah and John are concerned about. Areas that families friends and neighbors respect, take pride in and can enjoy together knowing they are safe.
Time for the truth to be told and negativity to stop.
Duane Wilson

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
It is sad that these two folks see 1 or 2 snowmobilers speeding or being a jackass and automatically label the whole group of us as non-law-abiding drunks who only ride at night in illegal areas. The responsible ones pack out what you pack in, regardless of the trash. These people need something better to gripe about.:nono:

Things never change.... Hey!?..... "Very easy to CUT, But hard to HEAL" :(

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all!

I fired the letter off to the council members and mayor as well. Why not. I know that when large coporations are faced with negative publicity they go on a campain to increase thier own publicity and usually shed a positive light on themselves. Time for us to start our own publicity campain.

I agree that if they want to take away snowmobiling then they take away the rights of others as well. Did you know at least one council member likes to ride his horses in the county, at least two have grown up with the farm life. Only one seems to be somewhat rooted in the environmental aspect. It should be easy to target each individually and address issues that may be in the back of their heads. One councilor would turn heels pretty quick if his horse riding days were limited!!

Just some of my thoughts.

Everyone needs to have a voice and be heard!!!

I have also decided to confront the Sherwood Park News Editor and ask why their paper constantly tries to undermine the majority of good snowmobilers. If we put some pressure on them maybe they will start to be less biased in their reporting and more honest obout both sides of the story.................yeah right........that doesn't make news.

I need some lunch. Get cranky when I'm hungry.

Top Bottom