Seven dead after crash on Hwy 63

700BDL

Reaction score
Seven now?....last I heard it was 6 and 3 air lifted...geez. When I go back south I'm going 881 !! That Highway is just nuts at times.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WANDERING RIVER, Alta. - Seven people were killed and two injured in "horrific" head-on collision on one of Alberta's deadliest highways.
The crash between happened Friday afternoon when a pickup truck going north on Highway 63 pulled out to pass another vehicle, colliding with another pickup travelling south.
"There was a significant fire as a result of the impact," said Const. Christina Wilkins of Fort McMurray RCMP.
Passing motorists pulled a teenaged girl from the pickup that had been passing, say police. She was airlifted to a hospital in Edmonton, but died a few hours later from her injuries.
A young boy and a 34-year-old man were also airlifted to Edmonton hospitals. Their conditions are not known, and the identities and hometowns of the dead and injured have not been released.
It was snowing in the area at the time of the crash on the two-lane, undivided highway.
"There was some reduced visibility," Wilkins said, adding weather was still bad late Friday.
"We ask that people please be careful when they're travelling south of Fort McMurray, given the weather and the road conditions are still unfavourable."
Six people were in one of the pickups, while three were in the truck that had tried to pass.
RCMP say Highway 63 will not reopen for at least another five hours, and traffic continues to be re-routed to Secondary Highway 881.
Two years ago, volunteer firefighters from Wandering River stopped responding to accidents on the highway because they found the work overwhelming.
In 2011, the provincial government and Athabasca County invested $1.3 million to hire more emergency responders to cover the route.
The highway is a busy route stretching north of Edmonton to Fort McMurray and north to the oilsands, where thousands of people work and tonnes of material and equipment moves daily.
Between 2001 and 2005, more than 1,000 crashes killed 25 people and injured 257 others on the highway.
In 2006, after years of public pressure, the Alberta government announced that it would twin a 240-kilometre stretch of the road. As of October 2009, 16 kilometres had been twinned.​

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sad indeed, thoughts and prayers for all their families and friends involved

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Very sad...And Boost...THANKS for doing your part buddy!!

So glad my sister and family have moved from Mc Murray

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIP and condolences to the families.

running that highway is like a lottery of death in a small vehicle.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In 2006, after years of public pressure, the Alberta government announced that it would twin a 240-kilometre stretch of the road. As of October 2009, 16 kilometres had been twinned.​

Why was there only 16km paved in three years???

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is the aftermath

Attachments

• twitterhwy63crash.jpg
    twitterhwy63crash.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 394

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad. Even more sad that the amount of money coming out of that place that more has not been done to that highway.

MissAtlantic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's hope that the letter gets read by the right ppl and something gets put into the works! For all those who travel on Highway 63!!

hedge

Reaction score
I tweeted her the link, I've never even been on that road (live in the south), but I believe something should be done.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this hiway has always been dangerous but is had settled down for a bit, now that it is starting to get busier up here it is getting back to what it used to be. there is 44km ready to be paved but when that will happen is unknown to me. I sure hope that allison redford will give back the funding that she just took away for the project.

Top Bottom