SeCan experiences?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Any of you out there that have purchased SeCan's? Was wondering if any condensation builds up in them when the weather transitions from cold to hot? I see some of them have venting holes on the inside wall in behind the outer skin. Does this do the job? What are guys paying for them out there? Thanks!

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a few, no condensation. We store everything in totes however, but no condensation has been seen. I had a few bags of mortar mix left over from a job and stored in the container for about three years and its still as good as the day I bought it.

On the other hand buy new containers or one timers. The seal on the door and walls being rust free is better and will give you a true rodent proof experience.

I bought an older 40' and it didn't last more than 10 years before it was full of holes.

We have one that we use as a water storage facility for a commercial greenhouse that we run. We haul water in and put it in here. Lots of conversation build up with 3500gals of water in there.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a couple as well and make sure items are dry before storing.
I wash off season things "tires and wheels,sled ect." And let dry completely before storing. No problems at all.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Did you guys set them on railroad ties or coarse gravel or just down on dirt?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Did you guys set them on railroad ties or coarse gravel or just down on dirt?

Mine are on gravel pad with 2 inch blocks just to keep off the gravel for air movement .
Low as possible for ease of access.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are great for storage as long as you're in and out of them once in a while, moisture is a concern if you plan on putting stuff in it and don't open the doors over a few seasons. my uncle stored one full of his household belongings in our yard for a year and a half when he sold his farm and bought a golf course, he lived in a wellsite unit until the contractor built his house. opened it up after I hauled it to him and pretty much everything was ruined inside. everything metal was rusted, and everything wood was warped and deformed.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are great for storage as long as you're in and out of them once in a while, moisture is a concern if you plan on putting stuff in it and don't open the doors over a few seasons. my uncle stored one full of his household belongings in our yard for a year and a half when he sold his farm and bought a golf course, he lived in a wellsite unit until the contractor built his house. opened it up after I hauled it to him and pretty much everything was ruined inside. everything metal was rusted, and everything wood was warped and deformed.

Did it have the ventilation holes in all four corners?

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea for a thread, I'm also wondering if all those Kijiji adds are a scam when they say $2400 for a 40 footer??

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know, was like ten years ago. do they come like that? I hauled it from the city brand new for him to put his stuff in.

Some do, some don't. I know the older one I have didn't have any where as the new ones I bought last couple years do.

This is a great idea for a thread, I'm also wondering if all those Kijiji adds are a scam when they say $2400 for a 40 footer??

RB auction. one time used 20ft or 40 ft can be bought for $3000-$3500

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some do, some don't. I know the older one I have didn't have any where as the new ones I bought last couple years do.

RB auction. one time used 20ft or 40 ft can be bought for $3000-$3500

My neighbor bought 2 of those last week at an auction. They had ventilation holes in all 4 corners and the interior looked new. He paid $3000/a piece for 20 footers with the 2 door system. Outside paint looked good to.

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I strapped the walls with 2x4's and added trusses. The roll up door is for my lawn mower. Cut big holes into the ceiling of the sea can and let everything be well vented into "attic". More venting is always better.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1465700952.823692.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1465700952.823692.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 330

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ken, contact Alex (Inter Mountain Warehousing) in Sparwood for a price. Since he bought that sled from you last year with such a great deal, he probably owes you.
Thanks Doug! I'll see if he will reciprocate. HaHa.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
We have two, one short roof, the other tall. Both are one time use, cheaper to build them in China, send them over, then sell them. Can shop around and get a good deal. Both of ours have the vents, no condensation or moisture at all, we are in and out of ours every month, if you plan on keeping stuff in it and not going in there for years, you're better off selling the stuff lol. I store my sleds in there during the summer and works great, i would recommend doors on both sides. Stuff can get built up and hard to access the stuff in the back. Ours are on the dirt. Hoping to get them out of the dirt and put them on railroad ties and make a ramp to be level to get in.

impact71

Reaction score
I picked a 40 footer out of RB $4250 delivered to Westlock. Excellent shape. Never had any problems with it. Hard wood floor unit easy to rolls sleds on dollies or drive quads in. It sits on the hard wood pallets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two and in the fall they started sweating on the inside .
I put a whirlybird on the top of each one and now they are 100% dry always .
I store my old bird in one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad they look so ugly and unsitely....

You want to ruin the looks of a nice yard...drop in a SeaCan. I have never seen one yet look like it belongs and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
I agree Cat. Our County has put in a bylaw where they have to be painted so they aren't an eyesore. See a few popping up but none painted. I guess the new bylaw officer is to busy handing out speeding tickets?

Top Bottom