School in Calgary

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I might have to go sait for 2 months in mar/April.whats the best riding area in the crows nest pass.and who would like to take a another guy along with them lol.also any fellow snow and mudders have a room they would like to rent out to a 47 year old guy ...

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I might have to go sait for 2 months in mar/April.whats the best riding area in the crows nest pass.and who would like to take a another guy along with them lol.also any fellow snow and mudders have a room they would like to rent out to a 47 year old guy ...

You're also only 2 hours and 15 mins from Golden if the roads are in decent shape. Unfortunately there isn't much for riding closer, especially in March and April.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're also only 2 hours and 15 mins from Golden if the roads are in decent shape. Unfortunately there isn't much for riding closer, especially in March and April.

???? How fast do you drive??? Takes me three hours on the dot and another 30 minutes to Quartz... Doing the Speed limit says it should take 3hrs 18 minutes.... Driving Time from Golden, Canada to Calgary, Canada

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie can have some great snow and there is Quartz and Gorman in Golden then Silent Pass just south of Golden and then there is Revy (always worth the trip) Quartz can be fun but lots of people. Gorman is steeper Silent is way back so its a long day. For day trips our guys will go to Fernie, Gorman and Quartz and weekend trips to Revy

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie is a much easier drive. There's always crazy weather around Field. The last few times driving by Lake Louise it's been bad and then you get into that fun drive down into Golden. Better than it used to be but still sections that aren't fun. It's the same distance to Fernie as it is to Golden but driving home after a day of sledding, it feels like an easier drive and really easy if you take hwy 3 across to 2. Highway 22 can get interesting and very slow.

I live just south of Calgary so I am definitely biased.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have riden golden once we did quarts and Gorman,always wanted to go back to Gorman as I have gotten a bit better since then lol...

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do Airdrie to Golden consistently in 2hr 30min. I have rode small over fernie/pass area and golden and I would take golden every time I have the choice for riding.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
???? How fast do you drive??? Takes me three hours on the dot and another 30 minutes to Quartz... Doing the Speed limit says it should take 3hrs 18 minutes.... Driving Time from Golden, Canada to Calgary, Canada

Calgary's a pretty big city... I start timing distance from the west city limits which is about 2 50km to Golden. Simple math has me travelling an average 110km/hr which I don't believe is unreasonable for that stretch of road although you're right am speeding but I'm also done having breakfast and fueled up by the time you're pulling into town.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie is a much easier drive. There's always crazy weather around Field. The last few times driving by Lake Louise it's been bad and then you get into that fun drive down into Golden. Better than it used to be but still sections that aren't fun. It's the same distance to Fernie as it is to Golden but driving home after a day of sledding, it feels like an easier drive and really easy if you take hwy 3 across to 2. Highway 22 can get interesting and very slow.

I live just south of Calgary so I am definitely biased.

That's the thing that worries me about the trip to Fernie is highway 22 from the old man river south. The persistent crosswinds create a lot of black ice.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the thing that worries me about the trip to Fernie is highway 22 from the old man river south. The persistent crosswinds create a lot of black ice.

That's why we have started using hwy 2 to hwy 3. It might add 15 minutes but we've ended up behind slow moving semi's on 22 and it's a wash. Watched a family in a station wagon do 360's between 2 trucks on 22 a few years ago. It gets slippery for sure.

We also take the opportunity to stop in Claresholm or Nanton for a break. Nothing is open in Longview by the time you pass thru.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

AND not to mention all the 1st year class one drivers in the frac trucks :/ SCARY SCARY....I stick to the 4 lanes as often as possible in AB

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Golden is a option if your base is Calgary. As well there is radium hot springs. On average it take 2hr15-30min for both destinations. For me on the SE end of town to the subway is 2hrs 30min if I am just cruising. Mar/apr in prime sledding time for both areas. Big snow volumes, lotsa pow, and you can score a lot of sunny days.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This will help

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383581411923.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383581411923.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 38

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie has lots of great ridding that gets over looked/ridden past, or is just not know of by most of the people that come to visit. Our snow is great and we have some convenient logging. Park place lodge has everything you need except gas.

Hope to see you out here this year.

Top Bottom