Saskatchewan Trails

idler

Reaction score
Well this is all very interesting, but if anybody really gave a crap about "their" trails they wouldn't post a thread like this.

WHY? Because tree huggers are patrolling these sites looking for ammo and guess what if they see that ATV and Sleds are piss matching they will use it to help there cause in getting one of us outlawed. And the retaletion from the other one that gets shut down will certainly be enough to get the other shut down.

Now its bee vagualy mentioned on here already, BUT if there is a SLED group that has a problem with ATV's using "their" trails. Why not change the name of your group to Sled & Atv club of _______.

To me the problem is you have a growing number of Atv riders, who are mostly good hard working honest community involved members, as it is, they don't know or have never been involved with a club such as this, read don't have the knowledge.

So why don't the sled clubs use their knowledge, and get the ATv crowd involved, and then guess what year round maintence, agreed trail routes, HUGE volunteer Labor available, and the club membership fee.

And as stated on here once before, most of the time people ride BOTH.
The number of ATV clubs are growing in sask., and some communities have joined forces between sleds and ATV's, and most of the ATV community wouldn't mind joining forces with the local clubs and SSA, but its these sled clubs and SSA, that are dragging thier heels and, in a nut shell, don't want to join forces with the ATV'rs, or SATVA. Some are speculating that the SSA is afraid that they may have to start to share the gov. funding with this new rapidly growing sport.

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grizzlymud- do you sled? Have you ever put plates on your snowmobile? If you have, did you wonder what the extra $80 you paid was for? I'll help you out here, that money is used to directly fund local snowmobile clubs efforts for trail safety and maintenance....user pay if you will.

You have obviously never been involved with a snowmobile club because if you have been you would know how little funding was available to clubs before this money was collected at the time of plating your machine. Since then clubs finally have funding to do a proper job with most of the dollars coming from this added fee that snowmobilers pay.

So I welcome the day atv's are plated in this province. I also welcome the idea of a trail reclamation fee of $80 per plated ATV so that ATv'ers can begin to contribute their fair share to trail maintenance. With 3 to 1 ATV sales we should be riding paved trails in no time........but my guess will be as is with snowmobiles people will be cheap skates and not plate their ATV's because they think an extra $80 is crazy thinking for trail reclamation.

Slickster- you say you sledded around preeceville last winter? Being out of province did you make a donation to the local snowmobile club while you were there? Who did you pay it too if you did? When you head out to BC to sled do you pay the trail fee at the toll booths everyday?

You obviously didn't even read my WHOLE POST as if you did you would have read the last line that clearly said that I sled as well and yes I have plates on my sled and the only place I got to go sledding in Sask this year was up by Kelvington and there was Garbage around the shacks and on the trail, so maybe before you get all HIGH AND MIGHTY do some reading. You really need to realize that atver's aren't here to wreck the trails and we are fighting with the tree huggers just like you even more as our season lasts almost all year not just a few months. No I don't belong to a sled club and after the ch!t (posting ch!t on FACEBOOK) they have been pulling I will never. Some day you will get a clue.

pete 1

Reaction score
You obviously didn't even read my WHOLE POST as if you did you would have read the last line that clearly said that I sled as well and yes I have plates on my sled and the only place I got to go sledding in Sask this year was up by Kelvington and there was Garbage around the shacks and on the trail, so maybe before you get all HIGH AND MIGHTY do some reading. You really need to realize that atver's aren't here to wreck the trails and we are fighting with the tree huggers just like you even more as our season lasts almost all year not just a few months. No I don't belong to a sled club and after the ch!t (posting ch!t on FACEBOOK) they have been pulling I will never. Some day you will get a clue.
what is this club saying i dont see any coments from them saying anything about the trails being wrecked they only say to respect them

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Grizzlymud, you are missing the point of my reply. There is not some government money tree that gives the majority of snowmobile clubs their funding. The $$$$ mostly come from sledders themselves when they plate their sleds and pay the trail maintenance fee. What I am trying to get at is that snowmobilers currently contribute hundreds of thousands of their dollars into maintaining and developing the trail systems in this province. As I said, I can not wait for the day that we Atv'ers can contribute as well through some type of Registration system and trail development fund. Atv'ers AND Snowmobilers must pay into the trail systems we ALL use equally. If there are 5 times as many quads as sleds then great, that means more money to upkeep our trail systems. But until such time that there are ATV dollars being added to the pot the SSA has a legitimate stance in asking for respect to be given by ATV'ers when using SSA trails.

For the record, I am an ATV'er as well, I ride a lifted 850XP with 30" Mudzillas, I ride SSA trails and I know for a fact that when my friends and I are out mudding we are doing irreversible damage to trails. I am an SSA member and I am also a member of my local snowmobile club, I have been in the groomer in the winter had to bounce along over the ruts and berms and seen how much extra snow is required to smooth out trenched out snowmobile trails...........AND if a ATV club ever came about in my area I would be a member of it too!

Our snowmobile club puts on a rally every year, it is a plucking ton of work and 100% of the money we earn is put back into maintaining the SSA trail system. Also in our area this 2012 spring alone there have been 3 ATV rallies and I can assure you that not one dollar raised at these rallies have been put back into building a bridge, or grading a trail, or putting up trail signage etc.

Nothing is free and the equipment required to maintain trails is expensive , everyone must contribute equally. I hope this makes sense. I agree, at this point we do not need two groups bickering back and forth, but it really is a simple theory- if you use it, you pay for it no matter if you ride sled or ATV's.

Tapatalk HD for IPAD

idler

Reaction score
Grizzlymud, you are missing the point of my reply. There is not some government money tree that gives the majority of snowmobile clubs their funding. The $$$$ mostly come from sledders themselves when they plate their sleds and pay the trail maintenance fee. What I am trying to get at is that snowmobilers currently contribute hundreds of thousands of their dollars into maintaining and developing the trail systems in this province. As I said, I can not wait for the day that we Atv'ers can contribute as well through some type of Registration system and trail development fund. Atv'ers AND Snowmobilers must pay into the trail systems we ALL use equally. If there are 5 times as many quads as sleds then great, that means more money to upkeep our trail systems. But until such time that there are ATV dollars being added to the pot the SSA has a legitimate stance in asking for respect to be given by ATV'ers when using SSA trails.

For the record, I am an ATV'er as well, I ride a lifted 850XP with 30" Mudzillas, I ride SSA trails and I know for a fact that when my friends and I are out mudding we are doing irreversible damage to trails. I am an SSA member and I am also a member of my local snowmobile club, I have been in the groomer in the winter had to bounce along over the ruts and berms and seen how much extra snow is required to smooth out trenched out snowmobile trails...........AND if a ATV club ever came about in my area I would be a member of it too!

Our snowmobile club puts on a rally every year, it is a plucking ton of work and 100% of the money we earn is put back into maintaining the SSA trail system. Also in our area this 2012 spring alone there have been 3 ATV rallies and I can assure you that not one dollar raised at these rallies have been put back into building a bridge, or grading a trail, or putting up trail signage etc.

Nothing is free and the equipment required to maintain trails is expensive , everyone must contribute equally. I hope this makes sense. I agree, at this point we do not need two groups bickering back and forth, but it really is a simple theory- if you use it, you pay for it no matter if you ride sled or ATV's.

Tapatalk HD for IPAD
I see your from saskatoon, which means you do have a local ATV club, their called the northern trails atv club, search for it on facebook. SATVA is currently looking for ways to raise money for the trails so that we ATVr's can contribute. SGI is denying any application for a regisration, but if your really willing to help out, put your brain into action, join the northern trails club, and find alternate ways of raising funds for the trails. Its easy to sit back, and go on your computer and point fingers and blame everyone for everything, put thats useless, what we need is brain power, and organization to get us over these hurdles, and make for a better tomorow.

there is also a link to the northern trails atv club on

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see your from saskatoon, which means you do have a local ATV club, their called the northern trails atv club, search for it on facebook. SATVA is currently looking for ways to raise money for the trails so that we ATVr's can contribute. SGI is denying any application for a regisration, but if your really willing to help out, put your brain into action, join the northern trails club, and find alternate ways of raising funds for the trails. Its easy to sit back, and go on your computer and point fingers and blame everyone for everything, put thats useless, what we need is brain power, and organization to get us over these hurdles, and make for a better tomorow.

there is also a link to the northern trails atv club on

Chitek lake is where is spend my sledding and atv time.

idler

Reaction score
I beleive northern trails covers that area as well. If you go on their website, and click photo's you'll see where that club is clearing the SSA trail just before grooming season, and filling up firewood box's at a warm up shack gettin ready for sleddin season. And if you live in saskatoon, thats where the northeren trails HQ is, I beleive.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Idler- Thanks for the info, I just went through all the threads on the link you gave. It sounds like this group is making steps in the right direction. It sounds like this group rides pretty much in the Nesbitt and maybe the Emma and Christopher areas. I would have little to offer this club as these are areas I have never ridin before and quite honestly never will. I Atv only around the areas at the lake and this is where my efforts will continue to be focused.

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is this club saying i dont see any coments from them saying anything about the trails being wrecked they only say to respect them

Yea thats is because they erased them and locked everyone else out of there posts. They made some accusations and statements that weren't even close to the truth and then started to back peddle FAST.

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Tapatalk HD for IPAD
No I'm pretty sure I got your point, that you want the atv people to start contributing (like we haven't been) but then you don't belong to a atv club as there are none in your area(when was posted that there are) Also there is money that goes back into the trail system, you pay it when you buy sled plates(and if SGI had it there way they wouldn't even be a part of that) You say there were 3 rallies put on in your area and none of them contributed, which were they? Most of the rallies I have been on are the only fundraiser some of these small places have to run there halls etc all year long. Like I said you need to do some more reading as there are LOTS of atv people out there doing stuff to make a difference and contributing and not just spending there money on registration because they have to. Every rally I go to I spend way more then the $80 that you pay when registering a sled and seeing as I have a sled I also pay that so in turn seems I have more of a place on the trail then some sledders and there are a lot more like me. This is what needs to be realized and as long as the SSA keeps brushing us atv people off and blaming us for everything. Problems will continue to happen. Time to start acting like the GROWN MEN AND WOMEN we are not like children and playing tattle tale bullch!t.

idler

Reaction score
Idler- Thanks for the info, I just went through all the threads on the link you gave. It sounds like this group is making steps in the right direction. It sounds like this group rides pretty much in the Nesbitt and maybe the Emma and Christopher areas. I would have little to offer this club as these are areas I have never ridin before and quite honestly never will. I Atv only around the areas at the lake and this is where my efforts will continue to be focused.
well thats too bad, because the biggest contribution one could make is to simply join a club, how so you ask? clubs need members, as there is strength in numbers, and we need club growth, we need to show the gov. (and the SSA) that we are getting organized, and the more club members we have the stronger we will be. You say the NT club doesn't do any rideing where you ride, so why not be the first, and get your buddies to join, and branch out the club. Why can't you ride in the other areas, I'm sure your quad will ride where ever you drive it.

Sounds like to me your a typical internet type, all talk no action.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rallies in question where all held in Chitek lake and area.......two in Chitek Lake itself put on by ??????, and one on the adjacent reserve, Pelican Lake. All three were advertised on the saskhardcoreatv website. (could they have not come up with a better name? Really- hardcoreatv.......just sayin)

Until the day comes when I see ATV clubs in the province out maintaining the trail system I have to side with the SSA. And by maintaining I do not mean a bunch of guys with a chainsaw cutting a downed tree- I am talking about having a grading, or grooming system in place, building bridges to span water crossings, trail marking, involved in safety programs. This is what takes serious money. Equipment is not cheap to purchase and equipment is not cheap to operate.

For the third time in this post I will say it again, the only way these ATV "clubs" are going to be able to fund this is if the government is involved and there is a mandatory registration and trail maintenance fee. It is this trail maintenance fee that will afford these clubs to be able to implement and maintain a trail system.

In the case of the Northern Trails Club, if the Nesbitt area is where this group of 20 or 30 people choose to ride, then by all means this group should do everything in their power to support, develop, and maintain these trails so that ALL ATV users can use these trails in this Area. Families want to bring kids out to enjoy ATV'ing as well and washboard sand trails and unpassable mud holes get old real quick for the majority( ie: grooming program needed), families do not want to have to navigate pounded out mud holes and risk being stuck on their stock ATV's( ie: bridges to span water crossings or mud holes). With this being said it should be expected that this club receive funding from the majority of people that will utilize what I have said above.(ie: trail maintance fee)

I will now bow out at this point as this is really going no where.

Happy and safe ATV'ing

Tapatalk HD for IPAD

Last edited:

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said you really need to do some more reading and maybe join or even go out to a club meeting as most of what your talking about is being done. But like was said you seem more like a keyboard guy.

idler

Reaction score
Like I said you really need to do some more reading and maybe join or even go out to a club meeting as most of what your talking about is being done. But like was said you seem more like a keyboard guy.
ya he's an internet tough guy, all talk, no balls

BTW, kidder, thank god everybody isn't like you, because if we were there wouldn't be any atv clubs, as guys like you don't seem to have any interest in joining, and try to actually put effort into making a change, which really is sad.

stinker

Reaction score
Rallies in question where all held in Chitek lake and area.......two in Chitek Lake itself put on by ??????, and one on the adjacent reserve, Pelican Lake. All three were advertised on the saskhardcoreatv website. (could they have not come up with a better name? Really- hardcoreatv.......just sayin)

Until the day comes when I see ATV clubs in the province out maintaining the trail system I have to side with the SSA. And by maintaining I do not mean a bunch of guys with a chainsaw cutting a downed tree- I am talking about having a grading, or grooming system in place, building bridges to span water crossings, trail marking, involved in safety programs. This is what takes serious money. Equipment is not cheap to purchase and equipment is not cheap to operate.

For the third time in this post I will say it again, the only way these ATV "clubs" are going to be able to fund this is if the government is involved and there is a mandatory registration and trail maintenance fee. It is this trail maintenance fee that will afford these clubs to be able to implement and maintain a trail system.

In the case of the Northern Trails Club, if the Nesbitt area is where this group of 20 or 30 people choose to ride, then by all means this group should do everything in their power to support, develop, and maintain these trails so that ALL ATV users can use these trails in this Area. Families want to bring kids out to enjoy ATV'ing as well and washboard sand trails and unpassable mud holes get old real quick for the majority( ie: grooming program needed), families do not want to have to navigate pounded out mud holes and risk being stuck on their stock ATV's( ie: bridges to span water crossings or mud holes). With this being said it should be expected that this club receive funding from the majority of people that will utilize what I have said above.(ie: trail maintance fee)

I will now bow out at this point as this is really going no where.

Happy and safe ATV'ing

Tapatalk HD for IPAD
so do you have an issue with website named Hardcoresledder????Just sayin....

Last edited:

stinker

Reaction score
We all have to share the trails. BUT when the ATVers come in the spring and rip up the trails in the mud ands leave huge deep holes and ruts who is responsible to repair the trail to be used by the snowmobilers? Just asking.. The problem is that they are left to the snowmobile club to repair just to have damaged the next spring again.
What would be great is a USE RESPECT program to be developed. If we use respect and try not to damage a trail things will be OK. If the damage continues we all will lose riding area and trails in the future. We as motorized users need to come together and work out a way to save trails not damage trails and riding areas. Comments??
The problem...which is the only problem....is not enough snow.....When there was tons of snow 2 winters ago there wasnt any bitching about ruts and such....I have enough common sense not to ride when there isnt adequate snow........I have never seen a rut from an atv in my many years of sledding when there is enough snow to ride and groom....

Pup

Reaction score
there are a few warped opinions on here when we need to start working together. This thread has turned into more of a pissing contest than anything.

1st, the ATV community is where the smowmobilers were 25 years ago, we are young and growing, and not going away. ATV clubs ARE being formed. 3 in the last 2 years, including 2 that are located in the 2 largest markets in Regina and Saskatoon.

2nd, the majority of ATVers do want plates on ATVs. There are a few that don't, but the majority do. Yes, with this funding we could use it to make & maintain trails.

3rd, snowmobilers seem to be under the impression that ATvers do not want to maintain trails or pick up after themselves. while there are bad apples in every sport this is not true of most. We are trying to get an agreement with the gov't so that we can do maintenance in the summer. We can go on all of the trails on crown land now, we just cannot maintain them. So we do what we can in picking up garbage, clearing off fallen trees off etc, as has been mentioned. While sledders think this is not enough, it is all we can do right now.

4th, if you are whining that a small town holds a rally and doesn't give the sledders a cut of the profits, then I think you have your priorities on backwards. Some of the rallies put on the funding does go to funding the groomer in the winter time. Others it goes to funding the local commuity hall etc. In the grand scheme of things what has more importance? Funding the areas halls etc? or giving money to a snowmobile club to make a trail smooth for a snowmobile (and the club already get funding from license plates).

5th, The SSA thinks that ATVers should stay off of trails. Maybe you think that they are only posting about respecting the trails, but that is not the case. We have seen conversations take place, some of which have been deleted by them, because lets face it, the SSA telling ATVers to stay off of their trails, when the trails are not owned by then, just makes them look bad.

6th, This posting by the SSA is obviously in a big plan they have, as it has been posted on several websites. They keep checking the posts, but do not reply back. There is an upcoming meeting between the SSA, SATVA and the gov't. So my thinking is this is part of a smear campaign by the SSA as they want to make ATVers look bad. I believe they know that if not immediately, somewhere in the near future, the ATVers will get their agreement and that there will also become funding available to fix trails during the summer time. The SSA thinks they should be the ones to receive that funding instead of SATVA.

7th, why is it that the ATVers would like to work with sledders and have a trail system that can be used & maintained year round? But sledders are trying to claim that these trails on crown land are theirs (when they are not) and they do not want to work with ATVers.

8th, I think some are misusing the term Hardcore. HardcoreATV was taken from the Hardcore sledders, which is being used as in they are die hards. IE they love the sport. It does not mean they are out to destroy everything.

I had more, but I lost it as I was writing this. lol

I ride both a sled and a quad (licensed) and have been on the trails in both the summer and winter I appreciate the hard work that goes into making and mainting trails. But I also wonder why sledders want to claim only they maintain trails instead of accepting help in doing the maintenance. Would not more people doing maintenance make for a better trail system? One that could be used by more people year round?

Last edited:

ostacruiser

Reaction score
there are a few warped opinions on here when we need to start working together. This thread has turned into more of a pissing contest than anything.

1st, the ATV community is where the smowmobilers were 25 years ago, we are young and growing, and not going away. ATV clubs ARE being formed. 3 in the last 2 years, including 2 that are located in the 2 largest markets in Regina and Saskatoon.

2nd, the majority of ATVers do want plates on ATVs. There are a few that don't, but the majority do. Yes, with this funding we could use it to make & maintain trails.

3rd, snowmobilers seem to be under the impression that ATvers do not want to maintain trails or pick up after themselves. while there are bad apples in every sport this is not true of most. We are trying to get an agreement with the gov't so that we can do maintenance in the summer. We can go on all of the trails on crown land now, we just cannot maintain them. So we do what we can in picking up garbage, clearing off fallen trees off etc, as has been mentioned. While sledders think this is not enough, it is all we can do right now.

4th, if you are whining that a small town holds a rally and doesn't give the sledders a cut of the profits, then I think you have your priorities on backwards. Some of the rallies put on the funding does go to funding the groomer in the winter time. Others it goes to funding the local commuity hall etc. In the grand scheme of things what has more importance? Funding the areas halls etc? or giving money to a snowmobile club to make a trail smooth for a snowmobile (and the club already get funding from license plates).

5th, The SSA thinks that ATVers should stay off of trails. Maybe you think that they are only posting about respecting the trails, but that is not the case. We have seen conversations take place, some of which have been deleted by them, because lets face it, the SSA telling ATVers to stay off of their trails, when the trails are not owned by then, just makes them look bad.

6th, This posting by the SSA is obviously in a big plan they have, as it has been posted on several websites. They keep checking the posts, but do not reply back. There is an upcoming meeting between the SSA, SATVA and the gov't. So my thinking is this is part of a smear campaign by the SSA as they want to make ATVers look bad. I believe they know that if not immediately, somewhere in the near future, the ATVers will get their agreement and that there will also become funding available to fix trails during the summer time. The SSA thinks they should be the ones to receive that funding instead of SATVA.

7th, why is it that the ATVers would like to work with sledders and have a trail system that can be used & maintained year round? But sledders are trying to claim that these trails on crown land are theirs (when they are not) and they do not want to work with ATVers.

8th, I think some are misusing the term Hardcore. HardcoreATV was taken from the Hardcore sledders, which is being used as in they are die hards. IE they love the sport. It does not mean they are out to destroy everything.

I had more, but I lost it as I was writing this. lol

I ride both a sled and a quad (licensed) and have been on the trails in both the summer and winter I appreciate the hard work that goes into making and mainting trails. But I also wonder why sledders want to claim only they maintain trails instead of accepting help in doing the maintenance. Would not more people doing maintenance make for a better trail system? One that could be used by more people year round?

Well said!!!

Top Bottom