salmo/creston

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
830!!! We are lucky to be awake then let alone at a staging area :d

I had googled it and found the Kokanee Club, guess thats the one I wanted. Thanks. Yeah $45-50 is not an issue, thats 3 days riding anywhere and if we make 2 trips this year out to Nelson then its worth it.

Last year we only had the one. Did some quading/dirtbiking up the Bombi Summit this past weekend maybe we will have to look that way as well.

NewYears was our time frame last year for Nelson/Castlegar, maybe we will shoot for that again or a little later. Thanks.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We ride the Salmo area most often, depends what you’re into and time of year Dec – Feb staging not too bad a few pull out’s around Creston side of the Summit. Christmas is a good time we generally rip right out the front yard ride into 3 great areas all with cabins anything from novice to extreme riding. For the Creston area you could also try “Sled Momma” Trish good info and knows the area, without a doubt check with any of the local clubs is best as there is some Caribou and private land issues in this area. When you’re around let me know, Dave.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, Not sure if this is the same Dave I have bought some items from in Calgary or not. Has the place on Erie Cr?

Hopefully we'll have two trips this winter, one to ride the Norn's, Grizzly area and one to explore Salmo and area, Erie Cr, Barrett and whatever else we can find. I'd love to find our way from SnowWater/Siwash through to Erie.

Here's hopin to a great winter.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya I really wanna get up the bombi area and lots of other areas around there definately gotta do a castlegar trip thats forsure!!! But ya salmo creston is a great ride I love it up here in BC

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are riding the Bombi be aware of the alleged club restrictions that were "imposed" by Beaver Valley's club, PM me for info.

Riding on north side of the Salmo/Creston is private and not advised, the better riding IMO is on the eastern portion in Blazed Creek. Be aware of the Darkwoods Forest Reserve back there as well. There are some caribou areas so please check the maps as well. Char was good last time I rode it, but its been a couple years.

Also please respect the cat skiing in the SnoWater creek area, some peeps may not want to share it but they are area users as well so please respect their skiing operation and areas.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya exactly modman please respect the cat skiiers and other ski touring in that area ye lots of caribou closure. You are allowed in the majority of the north section but please check maps some real good areas up that way are in an area called swamp basin just north of devils hole lake fabolous spring riding in that spot but east of blazed creek is real nice as well

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the creston club they let u fill out some paperwork to let u go into some of the darkwoods area. atleast it was last year just gotta be real careful up there lots of closures and ski touring. How was char creek area I have not been that way yet??

If you are riding the Bombi be aware of the alleged club restrictions that were "imposed" by Beaver Valley's club, PM me for info.

Riding on north side of the Salmo/Creston is private and not advised, the better riding IMO is on the eastern portion in Blazed Creek. Be aware of the Darkwoods Forest Reserve back there as well. There are some caribou areas so please check the maps as well. Char was good last time I rode it, but its been a couple years.

Also please respect the cat skiing in the SnoWater creek area, some peeps may not want to share it but they are area users as well so please respect their skiing operation and areas.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, Not sure if this is the same Dave I have bought some items from in Calgary or not. Has the place on Erie Cr?

Hopefully we'll have two trips this winter, one to ride the Norn's, Grizzly area and one to explore Salmo and area, Erie Cr, Barrett and whatever else we can find. I'd love to find our way from SnowWater/Siwash through to Erie.

Here's hopin to a great winter.

Hay, yes Dave at Erie and Altitude
The Norns is hard to beat definitely one of the best riding areas and now go from the Bird over to Airport and cover lots of great terrain. Early season riding beware of what you drop down into, the only way out is straight up! i.e. Pin-it until Blue Sky is in full vision then back off!:eek:
IMGP0533.jpg

The Norns Pic
Barrett & Lost I was in both last season due to lack of snow tree tops were out posing some navigation hazards on the climbing also extreme heavy danger with Avy’s at Barrett several huge run outs you cross over on the access and this place can be nasty at the best of times. Some years one side drops and triggers the opposite this will fill the valley bottom with over 100’ snow some good climbing in here but there is the odd Snow boarder / Skiers dropping down into the bowl, I am not entirely sure what the deal with Snow Water is in here, someone may chime in.:nono:
IMGP0595.jpg

Barrett Pic
From Erie with little or no staging areas off the road, but once you’re going and do some bushwhacking you can get in to Bombi, Grassy, Marble, Grady, Siwash however your getting into some club areas but for quick access Just stage at Bombi pick up a pass, hit the trail. On a good snow or spring day you could access Barrett from the back side of Erie! Actually I think you could sled from the Salmo finish up at the Dam Inn :beer:….lol..mmmm
Got to playing in some new areas last season and late this spring :d so spent most of our time exploring around here. As mentioned beware some areas require trail pass or you may even have to buy a full membership pass to access some of the private land areas. Salmo is a funny area to Sled, it boarders all kinds of stuff you almost have to join 4 Clubs to take full advantage of it....lol
IMG_007.jpg

Great place for sledding Pic.
If you’re planning a trip let me know our folks have a Motel in town as well lot’s of parking room for you at Erie, we'll hook you up Bounce. Take Care Dave

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome pics!! I will take you up on that offer i'm from cranbrook and really wanna sled some different areas this year I hate doing the same spot everytime haha

The Norns is hard to beat definitely one of the best riding areas and now go from the Bird over to Airport and cover lots of great terrain. Early season riding beware of what you drop down into, the only way out is straight up! i.e. Pin-it until Blue Sky is in full vision then back off!:eek:
IMGP0533.jpg

The Norns Pic
Barrett & Lost I was in both last season due to lack of snow tree tops were out posing some navigation hazards on the climbing also extreme heavy danger with Avy’s at Barrett several huge run outs you cross over on the access and this place can be nasty at the best of times. Some years one side drops and triggers the opposite this will fill the valley bottom with over 100’ snow some good climbing in here but there is the odd Snow boarder / Skiers dropping down into the bowl, I am not entirely sure what the deal with Snow Water is in here, someone may chime in.:nono:
IMGP0595.jpg

Barrett Pic
From Erie with little or no staging areas off the road, but once you’re going and do some bushwhacking you can get in to Bombi, Grassy, Marble, Grady, Siwash however your getting into some club areas but for quick access Just stage at Bombi pick up a pass, hit the trail. On a good snow or spring day you could access Barrett from the back side of Erie! Actually I think you could sled from the Salmo finish up at the Dam Inn :beer:….lol..mmmm
Got to playing in some new areas last season and late this spring :d so spent most of our time exploring around here. As mentioned beware some areas require trail pass or you may even have to buy a full membership pass to access some of the private land areas. Salmo is a funny area to Sled, it boarders all kinds of stuff you almost have to join 4 Clubs to take full advantage of it....lol
IMG_007.jpg

If you’re planning a trip let me know our folks have a Motel in town as well lot’s of parking room for you at Erie, we'll hook you up Bounce. Take Care Dave

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMGP0533.jpg

The Norns Pic
IMGP0595.jpg

Barrett Pic
IMG_007.jpg

LOL - nice work, we are gonna have to meet up this year. I look at your place everytime I drive by (which was just last weekend actually :D) and think that I gotta stop, didn't look like you were home though... :) Are you going to Meteor again this year?

Anyway, Erie to Snowater - if you pushed it hard enough you might be able to, it would be a late season ride and the road to the Dam Inn would be mostly gravel on the Snowater side. One time I think we got into the ridge looking down the Erie creek, but I haven't been back there in a few years so and I think they might have logged more out by now or someone might have cut a cat trail toward the ridge, its the trees on the Erie side I remember being to tight. There was one hill you gotta climb up, not that high, maybe 1500 ft but steep and short and there is no run up and it's all trees except for the last 500 ft, it would be a good climb in the spring but there is no way to run out on the back end. Also, if the cornice is at the top like when we were there, it's pretty much a no-go. We had 3 big mods sleds and we cut a trench for the last 500 ft that was 6 ft deep by the time we got up. We were able to get around the cornice and sit on the ridge (got glossy photos of it, sorry no digitals) but couldn't drop over the other side, just too many trees.

We thought about dropping off the ridge from Marble one time but same thing, too tight in the trees down low.

Porto Rico used to be a good ride.

Char creek is small and on a low snow year like last year, there is only so much riding from what I remember. We went in for a rip but there wasn't much riding so we didn't explore too much, it's kinda one little basin and was logged a few years ago so the trees are all about 20-25 ft tall and tightly packed, not very many open spaces. Keep in mind this was a few years ago (like 5) so things might have changed but it doesn't look like it from the highway, just looks like they logged a little more on the top end to the left. This is why we prefer Arkansas lake, Devil's Hole accessed from Blazed and Bayonne, more terrain.

Hope that helps. If you have more recent info let me know as I don't get back into each of these areas every year unfortunately.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that helps out a ton!! Ya i dont think char has changed much i accesed an amazing spot off of the devils hole lake road they named the road swamp basin but it goes up some sitchbacks to the top then i do believe u go through the trees at the topdown to a little lake then gotta pick your way through some tigh trees and end up in another basin back above porcupine lakes and that area in there it's all 1 big cirque back there you can go ridge top to ridge top back there. I had seen tracks going into this area but only from the backside up the porcupine cr rd I think were we accessed it from would only be dooable in the spring time.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here are some pics of devils hole lake area, as well as elmo lake back up the north half of salmo/creston.

Attachments

• devils hole 2.jpg
    devils hole 2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 170
  • elmo lake 1.jpg
    elmo lake 1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 162
  • elmo lake 2.jpg
    elmo lake 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 163

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here are some more pics of the area I call swamp basin the third pic is looking south back at devils hole lake, and the othere are all looking northwest and east off of the peak.

Attachments

• swamp basin2.jpg
    swamp basin2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 355
  • swamp basin 1.jpg
    swamp basin 1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 351
  • swamp basin 3.jpg
    swamp basin 3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 350
  • swamp basin 4.jpg
    swamp basin 4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 350

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, awesome pics!

We really like it up LadyBird, nice great areas up there. Managed to find the two cabins in the clouds one day(shaw and LB)!

I remember now about you telling me of the avy at Barrett.

We will certainly have to try out the Bombi/Erie. It seems as though they have pushed Erie back further now, or so it seems, some new mining?

I noticed they pushed the Sheep Cr. road and added new drains all along there up to the bridge out baracade. Not sure if you ever ventured up there, or if its worth it. Might be getting ready to log up that way, not sure how far they can go with the Panther Lake park area there.

We will be in touch.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, awesome pics!

We really like it up LadyBird, nice great areas up there. Managed to find the two cabins in the clouds one day(shaw and LB)!

I remember now about you telling me of the avy at Barrett.

We will certainly have to try out the Bombi/Erie. It seems as though they have pushed Erie back further now, or so it seems, some new mining?

I noticed they pushed the Sheep Cr. road and added new drains all along there up to the bridge out baracade. Not sure if you ever ventured up there, or if its worth it. Might be getting ready to log up that way, not sure how far they can go with the Panther Lake park area there.

We will be in touch.

Erie lot’s of log hauling coming out of that valley, last year they pretty much went right through the winter due to lack of snow. Mining not too much activity, just in exploring stages as the stocks are sitting idle. I made it back in there on the sleds one day we were picking our way over the ridge towards Mid Day peak then the fog shut us down.
Sheep I tend to avoid this area sledding seems to be a fairly sensitive up that way, took the Jeep up a month back went up towards Panther to go fishing but got sidetracked exploring some old mines in the area never made it to the end of the road and it was getting dense with shrubs. Not sure if they are going to haul out of there or not unless this was very recent.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah last time we were up Sheep (2 yrs ago) it was thick, 2 weekends ago you could fit a double wide 52' trailer all the way up. Made it up to Panther though. Someone actually has beat the trail in with a quad all the way to the trail sign in. Someone also has a new quad bridge built going over the creek into Curtis Lk.

Just up from the Bridge Out on the trail in there is quite the slide path, maybe 2 winters ago from the looks of it. Some pretty steep terrain.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it possible to get from that area by copper mtn to get over to barrett side of things seen it on google earth and was wondering if any of you guys have done that yet

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it possible to get from that area by copper mtn to get over to barrett side of things seen it on google earth and was wondering if any of you guys have done that yet

Its pretty tight in there and steeper than it looks on google.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya it looked pretty rank on google earth would be nice to do a big connecting loop around all those areas some gorgeous country back in there

Top Bottom