salmo/creston

hippiekiller

Reaction score
It could probably be done in the spring through snowaters tenure (copper-barrett) but the descent down dominion is pretty gnarly:cool:

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Few years back was told a couple of guys blazed in a trail from Erie up and over dropped into Barrett, not sure where they went in? Going up from Slide creek by the old Arlington mine / Second Relief is very steep and ugly and hence (Slide Creek Avy zone) a year back last the spring we got right in behind Dominion looked doable but the conditions got too warm and snow sloughing real bad we booked out of there then last Christmas we found another access doing good new road open ridge line we were above Stewart Creek on the North West side but still a ways from Barrett and ya lots of navigating through the trees then fog shut us down.

A few pics from Barrett
This Pic off google, going to the Left up and over the bowl is the best way to access down into the lake area from the top.
Going to the right is a great Climb you got to keep her a little to the right of the Chute then cut it back at the top it’s steep up the Chute.:eek:
BarrettIMG1.jpg

IMGP0593-1.jpg
BarrettShute.jpg

IMGP0591-1.jpg

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya any time your out Salmo way or planning a trip let me know some great riding areas and no tracks to follow! Mom Dad have the Motel plus 3 extra rooms at our place!

hay did you sell your M Steering Post? Maybe going through Cranbrook tomorrow.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey that would be awesome I will take you up on that forsure!!! no I have not sold it still have it if your through let me know 250-919-1130 and it's all yours!!!!

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok Sounds good maybe around 2:30-3:00 I am hauling down a empty enclosed, got pick up the old Chevelle and a sled starting a winter project with the car!
Well if it works out I give you a call when I am leaving Jaffery.
Going to be tight for time but I am hoping to make the Castlegar Club meeting as well tomorrow night pick up a membership BS a bit, sounds like it could be a good one!
Dave

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that sounds good I will have the part waiting just in case I was planning on going to that meeting but my truck wont be ready till monday :( let me know how the meeting goes

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could probably be done in the spring through snowaters tenure (copper-barrett) but the descent down dominion is pretty gnarly:cool:

Maloney doesn't have exclusive up Snowater but does own some land around his lodge. He does have signs up asking sledders to respect his ski zones but for the most part anything through the saddle toward Marble is fair game. And Darkwoods closure is north of Arkansas lake, last I checked Creston club and Beaver Valley clubs had agreements with them. No clubs have tenures on Bombi, Beaver Valley tried but got shut out by Atco and other private land owners.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so anything north of arkansas lake is closed? is that just for leaving the trail or is it the area in general is closed for sledding? I was sledding last year just north of devils hole lake last year there were tracks and people playing everywere just wondering if this area is closed to sledding i think the road i'm reffering to is called swamp basin it is directly north of devils hole lake?

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah seeing all those pictures is getting me so excited for when i'm living full time at my place in Salmo next spring. Spent some time in the summer up sheep cr up at mt reno and wolf lake (I think its called), looks so nice up there and is so close to my place. Could almost ride right from my place.

I will be in and out of there area all winter long getting stuff ready for building this spring, but I would like to hook up and meet people too ride with and start to get to know the area this winter.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so anything north of arkansas lake is closed? is that just for leaving the trail or is it the area in general is closed for sledding? I was sledding last year just north of devils hole lake last year there were tracks and people playing everywere just wondering if this area is closed to sledding i think the road i'm reffering to is called swamp basin it is directly north of devils hole lake?

Supposed to join one of the clubs that has an agreement with the NCC. Not sure how all the clubs feel about out of towners joining just to get access to Darkwoods but couple years ago I got the impression that one of them wasn't too keen on it. :rolleyes:

Definitely interested to hear from a club rep if it's ok to join even if a person wasn't a local. Anyone?

Kevin

Attachments

• Darkwoods.jpg
    Darkwoods.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 424

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was a member last year and will be a memeber again this year but the darkwoods area is amazing looks like my area is still open:d

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure how it’s playing out in this area there was rumour in the spring of it being totally closed...again:confused: Last year a fee was in place to ride much like a membership it was only to ride in this area (mainly refering to Porky's) there was no day or any trail passes available at all for the odd weekender or if you just wanted to check it out for the day. If you wanted to ride you ended up paying for the full season. I think this may have persuaded a few out of town peeps from just wanting to go venture up for a look. I’ll check with a few riding buddy’s see what’s up this season. Ya Kev for sure the Fruitvale club should have info on this by now.

Updated Info Relesed September 2010 for this area.
Nature Conservancy of Canada

Access & Visitation:
Under recent land owners, public access to the land has been limited. However, there has been some outdoor recreation allowed,including fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, and summer boat and road access at Tye.

Access Points:
NCC intends to extend public access in Darkwoods, as compatible with its larger conservation objectives. Permitted public access is
provided through the Blazed Forest Service Road and Jersey Road from the south, or the Porcupine Creek Road from the west near Salmo.
The residential Tye site can also be reached by boat via Kootenay Lake.

Permits and agreements:
All access is by permit only. A commercial recreation leaseholder has access in winter, as do three local snowmobile
clubs under an annual agreement between NCC and the Association of BC Snowmobile Clubs.

Public Permit System
Public access will be granted by permit only, as it is currently; however, the permitting process will be revised and streamlined to make it user-friendlyand easier to manage. NCC is investigating the possibility of issuing permits from a central website, where visitors will be able to register and print their permits. The website has the potential to provide information on access to the property as well as details of the privileges and responsibilities of permit holders. Permits are free.

Club/Agency Agreements
NCC will consider proposals for special access to the property by clubsand agencies that have the capacity to enforce permit conditions among
their members, and are committed to furthering NCC’s goals. These public agreements will require clubs and agencies to hold liability insurance
acceptable to NCC and to take full responsibility for the behaviour of theirmembers and for their safety.

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the part on the map that says private land access restricted is that area closed all together or if you are a member are you allowed in that area?

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is another large version map link to the Darkwoods area, may be a bit better for referencing to Goggle Earth.

Google Maps

I believe the only restricted access areas are the S.W. corner such as the Reno Mtn area, ridge side (The left side and a small portion on the right side of the Sheep Creek access rd) The boundary gets close to Elmo and Devil's Hole Lakes I don’t think they fall in this restricted zone. Signs are posted but they do tend to move about :rolleyes: Also the far N.W. Corner of the property has a restricted zone all other areas require an access permit, and can be obtained by one of the 3 clubs in the area the NCC site claims.

This I am not sure of, according to a Sept 2010 map zone on NCC site if the S.W. corner is restricted (No Public Access) then going via Sheep Creek Rd you will be crossing in this zone for approx 3 Km’s? or will the permit allow this not sure? Anyway this would be good to know. Been about 4-5 years since I went sledding up Sheep Cr, I know she gets alot of snow up in there, took us all day 6 of us stuck on and off and never even made Wall Mtn

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the google maps the area i'm reffering to to see if closed would be the elmo peak area and the porcupine lake area is that closed to sledding

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you have the link to that map or where you found it?

I've been trying to find a good map of the darkwoods area.
I know there is a caribou closed south of the 3 sisters.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the BC hunting regs, it had the road closure for Sheep ck in there last year, should be the same for this year. Last year for sure access was granted through Panther lake and I believe the next one north to get into Darkwoods. This may have changed though so check it out before heading up.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looked online, no longer posted in hunting regs and looks like they expanded the closure for Sheep creek, used to be open in the valley bottom all the way to Panther lake and down into Darkwoods. Would have been nice to been consulted about this closure, I really hate our government. :mad:

Top Bottom