Safety deposit boxes

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So back in the day, I used to use one for important papers, bonds, will, etc..

I got out of the process quite a few years ago. Has anything changed with regards to the process? Are they actually safe? Is money safer in a sort of hidden safe? I would like some feed back from the S&M experts. TIA

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recently got rid of mine after many years, it was up to like $180 a year so pretty pricey. Depending on what you're storing i'd feel more comfortable with a really good safe. If the government wanted to, they could easily walk in and take whatever is in that safe just as easy as in your account so I don't see the point of keeping valuables in there unless it's more sentimental value. I don't think you have to worry about theft (government excluded) there's no way anyone is getting in there without your key, and ID. If you claim it's lost and they drill it, I imagine the amount of ID verification would be quite substantial.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So back in the day, I used to use one for important papers, bonds, will, etc..

I got out of the process quite a few years ago. Has anything changed with regards to the process? Are they actually safe? Is money safer in a sort of hidden safe? I would like some feed back from the S&M experts. TIA
Same as always as far as I know, we have our wills and other important items in ours.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
......... If the government wanted to, they could easily walk in and take whatever is in that safe just as easy as in your account so I don't see the point of keeping valuables in there .......
I was thinking the same thing. But then, they would have to know that you had valuables (cash, gold, silver, etc..) in there for them to pursuit it.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. But then, they would have to know that you had valuables (cash, gold, silver, etc..) in there for them to pursuit it.

The bank would tell them you have one and they would just go check what's in there if they wanted to. Other issue is no record on what's in there, if the government did go in there some could disappear without any record, at least with a bank account you'd know how much they stole.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. We now feel that a safe in your house is better than a safe in a bank? The "Gov't" is actually going to send people to rob you out of a safety deposit box? From a bank run as a corporation?
Back to criticizing someone else's personal beliefs....
Tis the new Canada

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Interesting. We now feel that a safe in your house is better than a safe in a bank? The "Gov't" is actually going to send people to rob you out of a safety deposit box? From a bank run as a corporation?
If they can freeze/seize your account like they have reportedly done this past week, then I am sure they can/would do the same to your safety deposit box. It seems a little scary alright, but look what has happened since Trudope has taken on the helm. It appears that it is only going to get worse before it gets better.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Depending on the contents yes. The bank is safer as far paper like wills etc that has no monetary value, but as far as gold, money, etc it is no more safe in a safety deposit box then it is in a bank account. I'm not saying the government is going to steal it, I just wouldn't want someone putting money into a safety deposit box thinking it's untouchable because it's not.

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they can freeze/seize your account like they have reportedly done this past week, then I am sure they can/would do the same to your safety deposit box. It seems a little scary alright, but look what has happened since Trudope has taken on the helm. It appears that it is only going to get worse before it gets better.
They can also search and seize items from your property under the civil forfeiture act with the appropriate court order, there's no saying they couldn't incoporate that on a future implementation of the emergency act, so whats the difference?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can also search and seize items from your property under the civil forfeiture act with the appropriate court order, there's no saying they couldn't incoporate that on a future implementation of the emergency act, so whats the difference?

First off they have to know it's there and it's easier said then done. I speak from experience of trying to track someone down and seize assets for almost 2 years. It is a million times harder then you can imagine. You don't just get a court order to go into someones house and seize whatever you want, for equipment or vehicles you need a VIN and a court order specifically for that asset, you also have to pay a civil enforcement agency and goods are sold in auction if it's not paid it's not cheap. Also any good safe is going to be hidden from view and not just inside the front door. And frankly i'm not worried about something like that, i'm legal and pay my bills. I'm worried about theft and government control. If the government contacts bank about you, they'd know instantly you have safety deposit box and where it's located and you wouldn't even know, a lot different then trying to come into your home looking for one.

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off they have to know it's there and it's easier said then done. I speak from experience of trying to track someone down and seize assets for almost 2 years. It is a million times harder then you can imagine. You don't just get a court order to go into someones house and seize whatever you want, for equipment or vehicles you need a VIN and a court order specifically for that asset, you also have to pay a civil enforcement agency and goods are sold in auction if it's not paid it's not cheap. Also any good safe is going to be hidden from view and not just inside the front door. And frankly i'm not worried about something like that, i'm legal and pay my bills. I'm worried about theft and government control. If the government contacts bank about you, they'd know instantly you have safety deposit box and where it's located and you wouldn't even know, a lot different then trying to come into your home looking for one.
I wasn't talking about personally trying to seize assets, I have experience with that, and it is a pain in the ass. However, the government has lots of lawyers, etc. Any transaction over 10K has to be reported, so if someone was moving money to buy things like gold, or even just withdrawing large amounts of cash to hide in a safe at home, the government will have some knowledge of it.

Top Bottom