Electric chainsaw safety

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking with a fellow the other day while out cutting some firewood. He was using an electric saw, with no safety gear.
He proceeded to tell me that electric saws were safer and he didn’t need all that gear. I always wear hard hat, shield, muffs and wcb approved chaps or pants.
I decided to go looking for info.
It is all over the board from less safe to more safe. Even read some comments that my chaps won’t stop an electric saw.
So here we go.

I watched a guy bucking on a landing years ago almost sever his lower leg. It scares me to this day. Be safe

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Back when I was cutting fire wood in the upper Elk Valley, my biggest safety gear was my brain! I was always careful and very thoughtful. Never put myself in jeopardy's way. Saying that, I have cut enough fire wood to know the problems and have been using a chain saw since the early '70's. I use a hard hat, ear muffs, safety glasses, and gloves. I do not wear chaps and I haven't even come close to my legs over all those years.

The one thing that was driven home was the fact that one had to be diligent looking for obstacles in the trees. Not hanging in the trees but actually in the trees. I have come across fencing wire, big arse nails, square bar driven through the trunk, and sometimes parts of cable that the tree actually grew around. That is what would give one hellacious of a kick back and cause some permanent damage.

I loved being out in the bush with my saws, cables, wedges, and my inReach and having someone back in town knowing where I was cutting that particular day. Call me a crazy old fool, but in my mind, I cut safely and without a lot of problems.

I do not know anything about the torque of an electric saw and probably never will as my fire wood days are just about caputski!

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ this goes for electric saws as well. People seem to be a little complacent with them. People that are hesitant to use a big smoky, noisy, gas saw have no issue using an electric saw. All the pitfalls of a gas saw are relevant. Kick back,pushback etc.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I burn alot of wood and I always wear the safety gear. We have one of those electric saws at Fernie Rentals and if I take it home to use I will still wear all my safety gear. If I forget my gear at home ( and I have)I don't start the chainsaw.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the safety gear in the world won't protect you if you don't use common sense. I wear glasses and that's it. Yea if I was using a massive saw i'd be more concerned about more, but I only use a 16" saw which is a breeze to hold back. The chance that a hardhat will be beneficial is so small. Also totally depends what you're cutting.

Reactions: RXN

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the safety gear in the world won't protect you if you don't use common sense. I wear glasses and that's it. Yea if I was using a massive saw i'd be more concerned about more, but I only use a 16" saw which is a breeze to hold back. The chance that a hardhat will be beneficial is so small. Also totally depends what you're cutting.
Do you even know why you wear a hardhat when using a saw?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you disable the chain brake on your chainsaw?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_6049.png

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like some of these comments. Oh if I was using a big saw I would wear the gear…..

i only need to make a quick cut……

Oh i just make sure to be careful…..
ok, fair enough, but just ask yourself this, IF the plan goes for sheet, and you cut your leg or whatever part of you, because of a extremely breif second of miss judgement, Will you WISH you would have just taken that few seconds to throw on some chaps?? This is of course assuming you didn’t bleed to death from said injury. What IF?? Probably not, But what if?

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone think that an electric Chain Saw be safer than a gas one.
Unless it was made by Sawstop

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummmmm…. Electric things are safe, obviously…..

Tesla= dont even need a driver

elec chain saw= self thinking no need for saftey…. It probably has Saftey sensors and sh*t to protect me…..

Maybe? Just a theory

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my electric saw around camp for quick cutting of fire wood

Actually with the torque of the electric saw and it being so quiet I think it’s more dangerous.

You don’t think of the motor running when going to cut.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_6050.jpg

Dave, who has 20-plus years’ experience doing this type of work, was using a chainsaw to cut a large tree trunk into smaller pieces when a near-miss accident happened.

“I was standing on a 3 foot diameter tree doing a left cross cut,” said Dave. “When passing through, my foot slipped and the chainsaw came straight into my left thigh at full-bore. I have done more sawing than most lumberjacks, but in my 20-plus years of cutting trees…I’ve never had such a close call.”

View attachment 238171

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't do alot of tree falling.... after all I do live in Saskatchewan. :rollinglaugh:
Mainly bucking up firewood.
I always wear safety glasses, ear protection, gloves, and steel toe workbooks.

Top Bottom