RZR trouble

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I go to take the rzr out with the boys the other day, haven't ridden it for about close to 6 weeks, and guess what, she won't start.
I had it on the battery keeper so the batt isn't an issue, lots of cranking power but she just cranks and cranks.
The fuel is good and the efi seems to be working when the key is turned.

I pulled the bed off and pulled the plugs, they were dry and seemed to be gummed up. No spark from what I can tell so I'll get some new ones.

Any other ideas? it worked fine when I parked it 6 weeks ago? :confused:

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, looks like no spark, thanks for the reply's, I may just take it in, I have no tools to check electrical and am a bit of a tard on it. :rolleyes:

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up bringing it in to the dealer, broken wire, they also told me that my compression was low 120 and 118 should have been 140 I believe they told me.
I asked what may have caused it, I only have around 1500 miles on it and have never drownded the engine with frequent oil changes. He told me there was no debree in the throttle body or air filter and said the oil was good and could tell the engine was clean.
He thought it could be from going into deep water with a hot engine on a continued basis causing the rings to shrink to quickly.
Has anyone heard of this, may have to watch the water in the future.
Has anyone tried the big bore kits for the rzr's? Price? and what kind of increase could I expect? :nono:

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like BS to me. How many quads spend there life with the engine under water and are still have good compression. He'll my brute force should have 0 compression by now then

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could also be carboned up valves,.. you could try some seafoam,.. I use it once in awhile in my rhino.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up bringing it in to the dealer, broken wire, they also told me that my compression was low 120 and 118 should have been 140 I believe they told me.
I asked what may have caused it, I only have around 1500 miles on it and have never drownded the engine with frequent oil changes. He told me there was no debree in the throttle body or air filter and said the oil was good and could tell the engine was clean.
He thought it could be from going into deep water with a hot engine on a continued basis causing the rings to shrink to quickly.
Has anyone heard of this, may have to watch the water in the future.
Has anyone tried the big bore kits for the rzr's? Price? and what kind of increase could I expect? :nono:

What was the compression before it went in for repair? Maybe its always been 120. If it runs good and the same as before why worry. I would drive it and have fun and i would not be putting any snake oil in it not sayin it doesnt work i just would not use it. If you are changing oil on a regular schedule nothing should be stuck. I also dont by the water theory sounds like the mech doesnt know either and he was tryin to figure it out also.I hope this helps cause that is how it was intended good luck and have fun riding.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What was the compression before it went in for repair? Maybe its always been 120. If it runs good and the same as before why worry. I would drive it and have fun and i would not be putting any snake oil in it not sayin it doesnt work i just would not use it. If you are changing oil on a regular schedule nothing should be stuck. I also dont by the water theory sounds like the mech doesnt know either and he was tryin to figure it out also.I hope this helps cause that is how it was intended good luck and have fun riding.

Went out with the guys today, engine seems the same as it's always been, good power from bottom to top speed, don't have the tools to test the compression so I'm not sure if it just needed to be run or what, anyway, alls well. thanks!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe his tester is off, if he got the same or close on both sides, sounds like you are good to go. If U got 118 on one side and 139 on the other I would say something is up, but to say the rings failed equaly at the same time....funny IMO. Except over time, which I would think 1500km is not enough k to cause this under normal conditions.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just changed the plugs in mine did a comp test with cold engine came up 125 both sides runs great and has good power to all razor owners check your rear brakes with only 1000 klms they were shot

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the stock muffler check the spark arrestor.

We lost power on the weekend and I took the spark arrestor out and it was plugged.
Only 2100 km on it...

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just changed the plugs in mine did a comp test with cold engine came up 125 both sides runs great and has good power to all razor owners check your rear brakes with only 1000 klms they were shot

The dealer told me the same, he pulled my rear drivers side and said I should think of changing the pads soon, I thought he was full of it and just trying to get some more money out of me but I guess he was right. :eek:

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the stock muffler check the spark arrestor.

We lost power on the weekend and I took the spark arrestor out and it was plugged.
Only 2100 km on it...

That happened to me last year, had to leave my rzr in the bush over night cause we couldn't figure it out, all the rzr would do was idle, as soon as you tried to use the gas, it would die.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That happened to me last year, had to leave my rzr in the bush over night cause we couldn't figure it out, all the rzr would do was idle, as soon as you tried to use the gas, it would die.

What did they plug up with? Did they get carbon built up in them?

Top Bottom