Running boards

cbsharp

Reaction score
I'm looking at installing different boards on my XP. I bought a pair of HMK boots last March and the salesman claimed the soles wouldn't get chewed up. Well I've ridden about 6 days of hard riding with them and guess what? The stock XP boards are chewing the boots to chit. Maybe its the boots but I think it would help a lot if I had running boards that let snow fall through better. Any suggestions?

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We sell the Skinz Airframe boards. I should have some XP boards in, in about 3 weeks-ish. I have 2 sets available without deposits on them if you are interested.

Jan

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at installing different boards on my XP. I bought a pair of HMK boots last March and the salesman claimed the soles wouldn't get chewed up. Well I've ridden about 6 days of hard riding with them and guess what? The stock XP boards are chewing the boots to chit. Maybe its the boots but I think it would help a lot if I had running boards that let snow fall through better. Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of mine with Skinz boards. They look good, don't hold snow and are easier on boots. I've got 4 rides on them and haven't had any problems with slipping off the boards even with minimal screws installed. They are a little pricey though and quite involved to install.

Attachments

• PC030043.jpg
    PC030043.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 386

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go on a website called frankensled, the guy there makes some killer boards, he is out of Cochrane Alberta.

cbsharp

Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine with Skinz boards. They look good, don't hold snow and are easier on boots. I've got 4 rides on them and haven't had any problems with slipping off the boards even with minimal screws installed. They are a little pricey though and quite involved to install.
They do look good maierch. If you were to do them again, would you install them yourself or hire someone to do it?

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do look good maierch. If you were to do them again, would you install them yourself or hire someone to do it?

LOL... I didn't completely install them myself. I've got a buddy who's a sled mechanic and a lot more confident in hacking up a brand new sled than I am to help me. I ended up using hammer rivets on a lot of the fastening points to give a cleaner look too. Having done it now I think I would attempt it myself but I don't know if I'd recommend turning someone loose on their new machine just from reading the instructions, which are great by the way it's just that hacking off your running boards is an all or nothing type of move.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the Skinz, they look sweet. Having that new Timbersled skid makes them look even better! :)

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the Skinz, they look sweet. Having that new Timbersled skid makes them look even better! :)

I'd have to say I agree with you 100%. I'm happy so far with the Timbersled, haven't done a lot of climbing with it as of yet. As I said above the boards are great though!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres my friends sled with the skinz boards aswell. i installed them on my cousins too. best mod money can buy for your sled. stronger and stiffer than stock, way better traction and no snow buildup. and the installation is super easy. yes its hard hacking into a new sled but just do it. its hard to mess up.

call trax 2 treads and get your name on a pair! you wont be dissapointed. have 10 days alerady on these boards. unbelievable!

cbsharp

Reaction score
Maxwell, thats enough of a testimonial to convince me to get a set!

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
Kinda funny as this mod is at the top of my list as last year I bruised/road rashed my whole upper leg due to 3 feet of wet powder that made me slip off when going over seat to opposite side & chewing the chit out of my leg, made me even madder that the next day was the first blue bird day, after 10 days of riding!!!!!!!!!! I could barely push in the clutch on the ole chevy to drive home & was hobbling for over a week!!!!! But it was worth it, although I really want new boards, just in case, as I lost a couple days of riding, but at least had a few days to recover before going back to work.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres my friends sled with the skinz boards aswell. i installed them on my cousins too. best mod money can buy for your sled. stronger and stiffer than stock, way better traction and no snow buildup. and the installation is super easy. yes its hard hacking into a new sled but just do it. its hard to mess up.

call trax 2 treads and get your name on a pair! you wont be dissapointed. have 10 days alerady on these boards. unbelievable!

What type of drop brackets did you use for the Timbersled? Timbersled does warm about using the stock drop brackets especially with a set of aftermarket boards.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What type of drop brackets did you use for the Timbersled? Timbersled does warm about using the stock drop brackets especially with a set of aftermarket boards.

timbersled drop brackets. i had a set of stock brackets bust on a 2008 174. but i blame it on the extra leverage. havent broken a stock pair on any other sleds yet. but..cant argue with the timbersled ones they are big a beefy cant go wrong.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
timbersled drop brackets. i had a set of stock brackets bust on a 2008 174. but i blame it on the extra leverage. havent broken a stock pair on any other sleds yet. but..cant argue with the timbersled ones they are big a beefy cant go wrong.
You don't think that Bakers drop brackets would be a better choice for the price difference. Fix perfect and easy to take off if you decide to sell stock sled.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought the "drop brackets" I got from Timbersled for my rev were an absolute joke. Two peices of aluminum and a bag of bolts. Have to line up and drill everything yourself. Could just go to your local scrap metal yard and buy what comes in his drop bracket kit for a lot less.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't think that Bakers drop brackets would be a better choice for the price difference. Fix perfect and easy to take off if you decide to sell stock sled.

I've got Baker's drop brackets on mine. I think they look pretty good on there and distribute the stress across ~6" on the tunnel instead of 3 or 4".

Attachments

• Tsled.JPG
    Tsled.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 173
  • mountkit.jpg
    mountkit.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 164
Top Bottom