RKtek 800r drop in kit.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody have the RKTek 800r drop in kit? Just wondering what jetting your useing.

I would talk to kelsy at RKT or mountain magic. I have tis kit in my 05 but I haven't put many miles on it. I think I'm still running stock jets.

airbat

Reaction score
Ive ran a drop in kit for 4 years in my 04 800. The jetting is usually smaller than stock.Also get your mpem reprogramed make a good differance.
The jetting size should be in your instructions or just go onto his web page and take a look under instructions. And if you dont reclutch it wont pull the way it should.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Thanks guy's. I have an 08 xp. He recommends 450's and raise the needle. I have raised the needle but i'm chicken to drop to 450's. Just wanted to know if anyone else had this kit in thier 800r and if they did the 450's. How they made out. Gonna try 460's this weekend. Had 470's last weekend and the plugs were still black and a little oily. Sounds safe right? I went for a couple full throttle pulls on the 460's and the plug tips are white. I'm scared!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive ran a drop in kit for 4 years in my 04 800. The jetting is usually smaller than stock.Also get your mpem reprogramed make a good differance.
The jetting size should be in your instructions or just go onto his web page and take a look under instructions. And if you dont reclutch it wont pull the way it should.

did you send your mpem to RKT for the reprogram on did BRP do it? I have not done that yet as i was told it was'nt necessary.

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guy's. I have an 08 xp. He recommends 450's and raise the needle. I have raised the needle but i'm chicken to drop to 450's. Just wanted to know if anyone else had this kit in thier 800r and if they did the 450's. How they made out. Gonna try 460's this weekend. Had 470's last weekend and the plugs were still black and a little oily. Sounds safe right? I went for a couple full throttle pulls on the 460's and the plug tips are white. I'm scared!

second season for my drop in kit in my 07 800r, ran 430 mains last season with perfect wash and plugs looked great, done an slp intake this season with dyno port pipe and went to 460 mains for first trip out and its rich (only went up in mains for first trip to be sure) think il be back at 440 for sure, never raised the needle, if you have any questions just pm me.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Cool thanks, heading back to the mountains this weekend so i'll find out. I'll watch it close. I can change em in the parking lot if I have too. No big deal.
:beer:

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
second season for my drop in kit in my 07 800r, ran 430 mains last season with perfect wash and plugs looked great, done an slp intake this season with dyno port pipe and went to 460 mains for first trip out and its rich (only went up in mains for first trip to be sure) think il be back at 440 for sure, never raised the needle, if you have any questions just pm me.

Hillclimb911 sled runs really good if i had a 800r motor i would do the rk drop in kit 100% well worth the money.....

windsurfnut

Reaction score
I'm running the kit in a trail sled sea level in an 09 800r. Since stock jetting is 480 for both MXZ and Summit 800r's the changes in the kit should be pretty similar. I ran it with 450's stock needle. The motor felt spot on with jetting, no bogs, burbles, just ran real clean. Plugs looked a tad lean but it was hard to tell with new plugs and limited miles. Temp was -5 Celcius..I may be concerned with any colder temps and that jetting. Going to try 460's and see what happens.
Dynacorkle, what did you end up running?

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody have the RKTek 800r drop in kit? Just wondering what jetting your useing.

I just put it in this year. I have boysen reeds, and 13.5:1 pump gas. Stock pipe and MBRP can, and Red Deer Elevation, so 2700ish feet. I've got the 450's in it, seems a little bit rich, but still not ready to start droping a whole bunch in the main, I left the needle the same and seems okay, but that may change if one was to drop the main jet a bit. I might have 50+ miles on it yet, and plugs are a little bit dark, but I'm just off the first break in tank with the extra oil in it.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

did you send out you ECM? I asked Kelsey, he said it would be fine with out doing it, but if I wanted to do it, it would make a big difference.

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I did send out my ecm for the reflash. Never ran with the stock reflash so I can't say if its better or not.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Usually there is not that big of a jump between one main size. If the plugs are rich with 470's, I would think that 460's would be bang on and 450's and 440's starting to get leaner. Not saying it didn't happen, just surprised to see. Were the 460's and 470's run on the same day at almost the same time and same location?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my sled for a rip yesterday and it was running lean with stock jets. I held it to the bar in a field, stopped and pulled the plugs and they were pretty white. I have not done the reflash yet. Does anyone know if RK tek has there own ECU program or is it the BRP flash? I have the 13.5:1 head, crankshop pipe, v-force reeds and MBRP can. I run a mix of 100LL av gas with pump gas around 2L av into 10L pump gas.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually there is not that big of a jump between one main size. If the plugs are rich with 470's, I would think that 460's would be bang on and 450's and 440's starting to get leaner. Not saying it didn't happen, just surprised to see. Were the 460's and 470's run on the same day at almost the same time and same location?

When I tore my engine down, I had 420 mains with a #3 needle in it.... kinda shocked to see this.... all stock engine, never even looked at anything when I bought it. Piston wash was full, actually really nice, and plugs still a little dark... After seeing this, was dumb founded that it never melted down

Top Bottom